UKC

Aspirant West Country Winter Mountaineer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 joe.wahab 18 Sep 2015
I am studying in Exeter for most of the year (and will be for the next couple of years) and live in North Dorset when not at uni. As someone who lives in the west country and who can't yet drive (and even if I could drive), if I want to start ice climbing/mountaineering, should I set my sights on Scotland and perhaps North Wales/Lakes or the Alps?

A couple of people I've spoken to about my winter ambitions have mentioned it might be easier given my location just to get flights to Europe. Is this true? Would it still be true if I had a car and could go to Scotland? What are good locations for beginners? What about costs of travel/accommodation/transport? Is there a possibility of hiring guides to show me/partner relevant skills? Another thing I've been thinking about is conditions - A trip to winter locations in Britain for a week/end may yield a wasted week with no climbing - I get the impression conditions are a lot more consistent on the continent. Anyway, I think you get what I'm after.

Any thoughts/advice will be appreciated.

Cheers
 Welsh Kate 18 Sep 2015
In reply to joe.wahab:

It is very probable that Exeter University (presumably where you'll be studying) has a mountaineering society. Student societies are often good, cheaper ways of taking up new activities. I should imagine you're about to head off there, so why not have a look at the Freshers' Fair?
OP joe.wahab 18 Sep 2015
In reply to Welsh Kate:

I've been in the climbing Society for the last year as well as the Expedition society. Neither do snowy activities that require crampons. There used to be some dabbling in winter walking by ExSoc, but it is no more. Needless to say, I am talking to people in both of those societies about winter type stuff. There is a bit of a gap in the market when it comes to winter mountaineering.
 Welsh Kate 18 Sep 2015
In reply to joe.wahab:

That's a real pity. Certainly sounds like a gap in the market - best of luck with trying to do something about it.
 Steve Woollard 18 Sep 2015
In reply to joe.wahab:
Try the South Devon Mountaineering Club they are an all round mountaineering club

http://southdevonmc.ning.com/
Post edited at 20:38
OP joe.wahab 18 Sep 2015
In reply to Steve Woollard:

Thanks very much, I may contact them to see if they run trips during the holidays and if they'd be willing to take beginners out ice climbing. I guess people have to learn somehow! Cheers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...