UKC

Hill Performance Post Chemo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 20 Sep 2015

Grateful for any comments, suggestion or advice from anyone with (professional) expertise or similar experience.
It's now thirteen months since I finished chemo for Non Hodgkins Lymphoma and a CT scan about a month ago showed no indication of NHL. I saw the consultant on Thursday and he asked me how I was getting on. I told him that I was gradually getting back into physical activities such as walking. He was quite pleased with my responses.
Yesterday, having restricted myself to nothing more enterprising than walking up to the Devil's Kithchen, Bwlch Tryfan etc. I decided to "have a go" at Tryfan. I left Idwal Cottage at 9:45am and "ambled" up to Bwlch Tryfan via Llyn Bochllwyd. I got to the Bwlch in about 1hr 15min having taken a ten minute break at the lake. Leaving the Bwlch to roughly follow the South Ridge I soon found the going getting a bit more demanding. However, knowing that I had plenty of daylight and good weather, I persevered and reached the summit at about 13:30. I have to say I was feeling pretty whacked by then and kept thinking of the fact that I still had to get down again.
As my descent progressed I realised I was getting increasingly knackered and had, I think, lost a lot of confidence and agility. I feel I was mentally and physically apprehensive about having a fall.
Sorry to say it was gone 18:30 by the time I got back to Idwal Cottage, having taken loads of "mini breaks".
I wasn't displeased with the time it took me to get to the Bwlch on the outward walk and I can only assume that the remaining slower progress was down to a) first relatively hard day for over two years and b) virtually nil physical activity for about six months in 2014.
Or is it time to hang up my boots? ;o|
Post edited at 12:20
 Yanis Nayu 20 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

You don't need a professional to tell you the answer - your first big day out after 2 years, including being ill, you're bound to be knackered. I'm 20 years younger, haven't had lymphoma and I'd be getting knackered after a day like that. Don't worry about it, and well done!
OP mypyrex 20 Sep 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Don't worry about it, and well done!

From my heart - thanks. Lovely comment.

Moley 20 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

I believe you have nothing to worry about at all, following 2 years off and serious illness it will take time. There are probably only a very small % of the population in your age bracket who could do the walk at all.

This week I have been walking (4 day event in mid Wales) and seen an old friend who lives for walking. She is 72, overcome breast cancer and knocked off 4 days of 25 miles a day and total 19000+ feet ascent, over some very rough ground. Inspiring lady, keep going you will become stronger.
 philipivan 20 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Sounds like a great test for you and a grand day out. With that attitude you'll get stronger and more confident in no time. Good luck.
 marsbar 20 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

I agree with Yanis.
 Timmd 20 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:
What Yanis said, I know some people in the 50's who aren't very walking fit, and they'd struggle to complete going up and down Tryfan while not having had an illness, or they could manage it but they'd likely give up instead.

Considering you've dealt with having cancer and you haven't done much walking in the past two years, you're bound to be out of condition. I guess looking on the positive side, it probably took a lot of endurance to keep going for nine hours even with lots of mini breaks.

You'll be back in the Alps in a year or two.
Post edited at 16:29
 teflonpete 20 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Sounds like good progress after 2 years off.
Not so much a fitness issue, more of a head game but after 2 1/2 years of not leading anything, I recently struggled leading a diff when I had been pretty solid at VS. Not only do you need to let your body get back to hill fitness but you need time to get your head confident in your body's ability to get you up the hill and back down again. Sounds like you did just fine for a first proper outing, don't hang up your boots just yet.
OP mypyrex 20 Sep 2015
In reply to all:

Many thanks to all for your encouraging and pleasant responses. I often feel that, after a serious illness, a positive attitude about returning to normality is as good a boost to the medical teams as it is for the patient. It presumably helps them to think that their efforts have been worthwhile.

ThunderCat 20 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

As a fit but (slightly obese and lazy git) I'm slightly humbled by your postings.
OP mypyrex 20 Sep 2015
In reply to All:
Forgot to mention, on summitting I did NOT do the Adam/Eve crossing
mgco3 20 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Don't you dare hang your boots up. Look at yourself in the mirror and congratulate yourself for what you have achieved. Next time you go out pace yourself and convince yourself that every time you exercise you will get better and fitter.

Positive mental attitude is better than any medical treatment. You will soon see improvement in you stamina and fitness if you exercise little and often.

You have survived NHL that , in itself, is a MAJOR achievement. If you can get through that then you can achieve anything you put your bloody mind too. You just have to be a bit bloody minded.

Good luck and nil desparandum.
 DancingOnRock 20 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:
It'll take a while.

I had Hodgkins and chemo, radio and stem cell transplant in 2002. I'm now running marathons.

Just take your time. It's a long haul.

Post edited at 21:53
 Timmd 20 Sep 2015
In reply to mgco3:
Shall we all agree to pester mypyrex into going back to the Alps the year after next?....'Have you gone yet?'
Post edited at 21:58
 veteye 20 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

It's an inspiring for us all that you could keep on going to reach your goal and then come back steadily from it.So you have a marker against which you can improve slightly next time(and no doubt in slightly worse conditions).

When I get something of an illness in the future I hope that I will have the grit to go out and follow up the hill on recovery just like you.

Anyway this is the beginning of your blog about your return.
OP mypyrex 20 Sep 2015
In reply to Timmd:

> Shall we all agree to pester mypyrex into going back to the PYRENEES NEXT year

Sorted that for you

OP mypyrex 20 Sep 2015
In reply to all:

FWIW you've all had "likes" from me.
Cambridge-Climber 21 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex: Get on it!!

Then keep going!!!

DancingOnRock 21 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

I would seriously take your time over getting back to full strength.

Mentally and physically it will take time. Don't rush it.
 Timmd 21 Sep 2015
In reply to DancingOnRock:

Yes.
OP mypyrex 21 Sep 2015
My sights are on Y Garn next weekend; weather permitting. Not been up there for yonks and, if I remember, once you're above the Devil's Kitchen, it's just a walk.
 Steve Perry 21 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:
> My sights are on Y Garn next weekend; weather permitting. Not been up there for yonks and, if I remember, once you're above the Devil's Kitchen, it's just a walk.

The fact you're already planning your next outing says it all! Enjoy, it will be a little easier than the last time and the next will be easier again. Keep going, you'll get there.
Post edited at 16:36
OP mypyrex 21 Sep 2015
In reply to Steve Perry:

Thanks. Nice sentiment.
 Trangia 24 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

> Forgot to mention, on summitting I did NOT do the Adam/Eve crossing

Whimp!

No seriously, well done. It takes a long time to recover, but you sound well on track.

You should be ready for the jump next time
OP mypyrex 24 Sep 2015
In reply to Trangia:
> Whimp!

> No seriously, well done. It takes a long time to recover, but you sound well on track.

> You should be ready for the jump next time

Thanks, nice comment. I'm going to have a word with some civil engineering contractors to see if the gap between Adam and Eve can be reduced so that I can just step across
Post edited at 16:09
 Trangia 24 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

> I'm going to have a word with some civil engineering contractors to see if the gap between Adam and Eve can be reduced so that I can just step across

It's actually all in the head, and little more than a big step (with perhaps a smidgen of "spring" in your step as you launch off!) I've done it both ways numerous times, but having passed three score years and ten I am not as supple as I used to be, and decided to rest on my laurels when I was last up there, and watch younger people doing it......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...