UKC

were you at gogarth last saturday

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Bazza S 23 Sep 2015
I was kayaking with friends at Gogarth last Saturday and spotted a climber who had fallen. I called the coastguard and they sent out a rescue helicopter. I found the whole thing quite disturbing and one of the climbers at the bottom of the cliff wasn't really helping. Shouting to me that a rescue wasn't needed while I was on the radio to the coastguard was very confusing. Also suggesting that we were enjoying the experience was quite unpleasant and distasteful. I checked my watch and the casualty didn't move apart from one hand for at least 25 minutes so I would say a rescue was needed and I had already checked with his climbing partner if he wanted me to make a call out.
Anyway does anybody know if the guy who fell is alright as it is has been on my mind since and the coastguard doesn't know.
Thanks, Barry
 Col Kingshott 24 Sep 2015
In reply to Bazza S:

I was at the top and chatting to the coastguard. They told me that the person had an injured leg and arm but was fine, they went to Bangor hospital.

I don't know the people involved though, so hopefully they are okay and recovering well. I'm sure being in an incident like that is stressful for all and would explain (to some extent) irrational behaviour.

We were totally unaware of anything going on till the helicopter turned up along with a load of coastguard guys.

Col.
 abr1966 24 Sep 2015
In reply to Bazza S:

Well done mate....always better to be safe than sorry! As the other poster said, people do odd things under stress and are often irrational.
Bazza S 25 Sep 2015
In reply to Col Kingshott:

Thanks for that. We were worried that he may have had a back injury as he was didn't move for a long time. His partner thought he had a head injury but I don't know for certain. The rescue was quite rough on him so it would good to know he is ok.
 JJL 25 Sep 2015
In reply to Bazza S:

I'm a bit confused here.
Did the team with the injured person ask you to call for help? Were they unable to?
Was the person that asked you not to call a member of the injured team or some other randomer?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...