UKC

Shingles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
XXXX 24 Sep 2015
Does anyone who's had shingles want to reassure me that my face isn't going to fall off and I will be OK in the end?

I'm having a low moment.
 Doug 24 Sep 2015
In reply to XXXX:
I had shingles some 10 years ago, maybe more so thankfully have forgotten most of the details but do remember it being more than a little unpleasant. I don't know what the current treatment is but I was prescribed an antiviral drug (Zovirax ? ) which was very effective and the painful symptoms went in a couple of days. But that was in France so maybe the treatments are different elsewhere

Good luck,
cb294 24 Sep 2015
In reply to XXXX:

You will be OK in the end, and your face will not fall off.

Until then, make sure you get proper antiviral drugs right away. Unlike Tamiflu, the anti herpes drugs actually work!

CB
XXXX 24 Sep 2015
Thanks both,
I'm on antivirals but apparently they just stop the spread, not the duration. I have a massive phobia of people touching my eyes so I'm just praying it doesn't spread into them.

I've just been prescribed a low dose of anti-depressant which apparently controls nerve pain. No luck so far but early days.

I'm on day 5 and have been told to expect another 10.
 ByEek 24 Sep 2015
In reply to XXXX:

Not had shingles but my wife and I did have Chicken Pox just before (and during) she gave birth to our second child - who then went on to develop chickenpox. I have never felt so ill in my life. I believe shingles is even worse. You have my sympathy.
 ryan_d 24 Sep 2015
In reply to XXXX:

Amitriptyline is probably the antidepressant. It is good for nerve pain, but can knock the hell out of you. I had shingles a few years ago and the antivirals do work if its caught early enough otherwise it will just run its course with no major lasting effects.

It isn't nice though. Whisky worked for me

Ryan
 flopsicle 24 Sep 2015
In reply to XXXX:

"She just tripped over and her face fell off."

youtube.com/watch?v=GZ6Ui8nvZNw&
abseil 24 Sep 2015
In reply to XXXX:

> Does anyone who's had shingles want to reassure me that my face isn't going to fall off and I will be OK in the end?

> I'm having a low moment.

My story, I've had shingles and went to the doctor as soon as I got it. the doctor gave me medicine and said the earlier you see the doctor and start to take medicine, the better the outcome.

Mine wasn't too bad, just broad areas of very itchy spots around my stomach for a while - really annoying, and hard to stop scratching them. The doctor also told me not to pick up/ touch any children under 12 months old till I was better [I'm not sure why].
 Garston 24 Sep 2015
In reply to abseil:

You were advised not to touch children as it is essentially the chicken pox virus which causes shingles so if you had it as a child then you cannot catch anything from someone with shingles. If however you have shingles you can pass chicken pox (varicella) to someone like a child who hasn't had it.
In response to the OP where on your face is the rash as this will determine whether or not it affects your eyes? (Eye more specifically as it is only ever on one side - unilateral)
Regards
Chris
XXXX 24 Sep 2015
In reply to Garston:

Well that amitryptyline knocks you out doesn't it. Zzzzzz

I have it on my forehead, hairline and through my hair, eyebrow and on my eyelid. I have a contact number at the emergency eye clinic in case things go blurry.

Thanks for all the experiences. The hardest part is not being able to give my two year old any cuddles.

abseil 24 Sep 2015
In reply to Garston:

> You were advised not to touch children as it is essentially the chicken pox virus which causes shingles..... If however you have shingles you can pass chicken pox (varicella) to someone like a child who hasn't had it.

Thanks very much for the information, that's helpful!
 Dave the Rave 24 Sep 2015
In reply to XXXX:
The Aldi version are better. I recommend salt and vinegar. There's actually more in a packet than Pringles.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...