UKC

Nocturia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 25 Sep 2015

Probably a question for the older farts here. Couple of months ago I had a check up with the doc because I was having to get up a couple of times at night. By doing "that" examination he ruled out anything serious and a blood test showed my PSA to be 4.5 which apparently is not bad for my age.

Thing is I manage my fluid intake so that I don't have anything after about six in the evening. The problem here though is that, sometimes, I would love to go out and have a couple of pints, especially after a day on the hills. Of course this would then exacerbate the nocturia and I would probably have to get up more than I would have done a while ago.

That said, after my day on Tryfan last weekend, I had a pint at about seven o'clock in Betws with a meal and had no need to get up in the night. I presume that was down to fluid loss during an energetic day.

Any ideas how to cope with it?
Post edited at 17:52
OP mypyrex 25 Sep 2015
Bump
OP mypyrex 25 Sep 2015
Bump again
 broken spectre 25 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Perhaps an afternoon drink as opposed to an evening one is the answer. Alcohol is contra-indicated on my medication too so I know it's frustrating (especially on a friday night)
OP mypyrex 25 Sep 2015
In reply to broken spectre:

> Perhaps an afternoon drink as opposed to an evening one is the answer.
Except it's not the same as having a few bevvies in the evening after a day on the hill.

Just thought of a possible compromise. I'm sitting here enjoying a glass of brandy and I have to say that I am rather partial to a good brandy so perhaps the time has come to convert from beer.
 coinneach 25 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Rubber sheets?
OP mypyrex 25 Sep 2015
In reply to coinneach:

I'm not bloody incontinent!!!
 coinneach 25 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Saves you getting up though?
In reply to mypyrex:

Not a doctor.

Speak to your doctor.

Have these symptoms increased in the last 12 months? If so, follow it up: PSA is a useful marker, but not foolproof - and may be low in many cases of BPH. Equally, the digital test isn't necessarily that great: your doc may be brilliant at it, but it only detects grossly apparent architectural changes at best and bugger all at worst.

At the risk of triggering the usual 'you stick to spaying cats and I'll look after *my* patients, thank you very much' response, I'd be inclined to ask for a scan and a follow-up PSA within a reasonable timeframe. The scan is quick, cheap and much better at detecting early prostatic change than someone's gloved finger.

If you're symptomatic, follow it up: there's nothing down that road which would be outside of your own recent experience, so you know how it should go. The theory that your bladder just gets benignly weaker with age doesn't necessarily hold water.

(Thank you, I'll be here all week.......)
 Wsdconst 26 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

They sell adult nappies in boots if your interested
OP mypyrex 26 Sep 2015
In reply to Martin not maisie:

I did say that doc had ruled out anything serious.
 The New NickB 26 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Is it s major problem, probably best accepting that a few nocturnal trips to the smallest room are the price you have to pay for the enjoyment of a relaxing pint or two.
In reply to mypyrex:

As I say, I'm not a doctor. But what you have are symptoms, but no diagnosis (knowing what something is unlikely to be isn't the same as knowing what it *is*); if the symptoms persist, it's usually worth a bit of perseverance to nail it all down.

Your body, your choice
OP mypyrex 26 Sep 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

> probably best accepting that a few nocturnal trips to the smallest room are the price you have to pay for the enjoyment of a relaxing pint or two.
Yes, that's it I suppose.
 arch 26 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

I suffer the same. My last drink could be around 4pm, but I'll still need to get up in the night. Interestingly though, if I do drink a few Beers in the evening, I seem to get up less. Maybe the alcohol relaxes me more and I sleep better. I'm a very light sleeper as well so that may be something to consider too.

I'll be having a few later whilst the Rugby's on, seems rude not to. If I have to get up more tonight, so be it.

andyman666999 26 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

I think that if it is starting to impact on your quality of life you should probably return to speak to your GP as there is both medical and surgical options to address this problem which if it is BPH will only continue to progress.
 Tom Valentine 26 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

I do wish you'd stop referring to people of a similar age to yourself as "old farts".
 Fredt 26 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

My problem with this was lack of sleep. I'd have to get up around 4 or 5 am, and then can't get back to sleep.
So I now set an alarm, for 2am, go to the loo, then I can sleep until 7 or 8.
I'm getting more sleep.
 Postmanpat 26 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

> Probably a question for the older farts here. Couple of months ago I had a check up with the doc because I was having to get up a couple of times at night. By doing "that" examination he ruled out anything serious and a blood test showed my PSA to be 4.5 which apparently is not bad for my age.

>
I've been getting up twice a night for as long as I can remember and I'm still alive. What's the big deal?

OP mypyrex 26 Sep 2015
In reply to andyman666999:

> I think that if it is starting to impact on your quality of life
Not unduly so. I'm interested in what arch says about maybe alcohol relaxing one. I know it was a smaller volume but last night I had a quadruple brandy and slept through to about 5.

Rob Exile Ward 26 Sep 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:
Only twice a night? Tha's lucky! 10 times a night, me, and the privy's across the yard an' all.

Worth it for a few bevvies though...

(Actually I wondered what the problem was as well; 'a few pints = get up in the middle of the night' has been an equation I've been aware of for 45years, and hasn't seemed a big deal. You pays your money and you takes your choice.)
 Billhook 26 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

I'm glad I'm, not the only one on here who gets up once and often twice a night. Mind you I do like a pint or two later in the evening.

(And I've had the all clear a few years ago)
 jimjimjim 26 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

I piss at least three times a night, always have done. So does my brother....Small bladder probably. If you doc saysyou're okay then you're okay. Get over it. You're getting old. Just get up and piss.
 alx 26 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

As you age you produce less of the hormone ADH, less ADH = more urine. Alcohol also inhibits ADH, which inturn causes you to produce more urine.
Could be a combination of both facotrs?

There are many many other things happening so you could try eliminating different facors and seeing how you get on.
 colinakmc 26 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Archetypal UKC thread this, lots of folk talking pish....
Princess Bobina 27 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Catheter?

OP mypyrex 27 Sep 2015
In reply to Princess Bobina:

> Catheter?

If you think I'm going to stick a bloody tube up my willy...
Princess Bobina 27 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Bet you've stuck your tube up a woman often enough...
Wiley Coyote2 27 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Why are people surprised they need to get up for a pee? Assuming you sleep 7-8 hours, how many times would you go for pee in a waking 7-8 hour period
 Postmanpat 28 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Look on the positive side. You don't have to set the alarm to get up and watch a lunar eclipse. Your body does it for you.
 Rob Exile Ward 28 Sep 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:
Look on the positive side (2). You can still drink beer.
Look on the positive side (3). You can still get up in the middle of the night unassisted.
Bellie 28 Sep 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

I have a friend in his 70s. He mentioned he used to have to get up in the night. Someone (might even been a doc) said to have a glass of water last thing at night. Something to do with helping to dilute the toxins in the liver I think. He said it worked anyway.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...