UKC

Designing a climbing shop for my university course

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Charlotte Ashley 30 Sep 2015
Hi everyone, I'm not really sure how this works, but it seems like the best place to get some informed advice.

I'm doing my final project for my Interior Design course at uni, and I'm designing a 'retail experience' for climbers and hikers etc.

We need to solve a problem with our design, and I've thought of the idea of being able to test equipment properly before you buy it. For example, a room where you can change the conditions to test items of clothing eg. see if the coat you're buying will actually keep you warm enough.

I know you can rely on reviews, but I think for some people (maybe mainly beginners) it might give them more piece of mind to be able to test things in the environment they will be used. Also, it should just create a more fun shopping experience that is a bit different.

I'm in the very early stages at the moment so if anyone has any opinions or suggestions they would be much appreciated!
 Richard Wilson 30 Sep 2015
In reply to Charlotte Ashley:

Just put a walk in freezer in the back. That will cover most issues re cold.

For hot just get them to do a work out.
 Ann S 30 Sep 2015

If you could set up a wind tunnel that blows uncooked rice at the customers face that would simulate most days on your average British hill and will show them if the hood design is fit for purpose.

neuromancer 30 Sep 2015

Maybe hire a pack of dwarves to attack customers with heavy grade sandpaper to mimic a classic chimney thrutch?
 Hyphin 30 Sep 2015

No carpets, fancy lighting of other marketing bullshit, use the money saved on unnecessary overheads to keep prices down.

Have a look at the images of the Globetrotter shop in Munich. They have a kayak pool, climbing wall, rain and wind chamber, cold room and lots of interesting design. There should be something to provide some inspiration.

Brass Nipples 30 Sep 2015

I'd need an area to sleep where I can test out the bivvy equipment

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...