UKC

Car to Car Temperature Differences

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Simon Yearsley 02 Oct 2015
A wee thought - a couple of winters ago Malcolm Bass and I climbed in Coire an Lochain and I remember it being -5 on the car thermometer when we left, and +18 when returned (the same day I hasten to add!!). A 23 degree temp difference. Yesterday on Binnein Shuas, it was 0 when we left the car, and +21 when we got back. Only 21 degree difference, but still pretty big. Got me thinking... what's the biggest car to car temp difference folk have experienced in Scotland?
 James Edwards 02 Oct 2015
In reply to Simon Yearsley:

Roger and I experienced an outside car temp of -15 when climbing on Stac Pollaidh a few years ago. And an inside car temp of +20. Can I please claim my 35deg temp gradient or does that not count?
James.
P.s. two strong morning frosts in the Cairngorms this last couple of days...
In reply to James Edwards:

If both temps were on the internal car thermometer... you win! For now....

Had something similar in Sneachda a few years ago on Pygmy ahead of the thaw....well that was the plan anyway....full on winter at the start, stripped bare and mugghy as hell by the end, I think a good 15-20C difference but never recorded it.
 Webster 04 Oct 2015

was the car sitting in the sun by any chance?
 john arran 04 Oct 2015

Not car to car but I remember some time ago climbing at Smith Rock in Oregon in October. Because it's arid desert the temp dropped to 15F during the night (which wasn't great for camping) but then climbed to over 70F during the day, over 30C difference. Added to that the Dihedrals area was such a sun trap I'm pretty sure the air temp there got to 80F, so over 35C difference.
 dingbat46 04 Oct 2015

Not climbing related but did some climatic vehicle test work this week.

-30'C in the morning to +50'C at night, with the office being at 10'C.

That was interesting!
 Hooo 04 Oct 2015

Not Scotland I'm afraid, but Cheddar. When I did Coronation Street about this time of year a couple of years back, the car showed -2 when we parked, and high twenties when we got back to it.
 veteye 04 Oct 2015
In reply to Hooo:

I'm not sure if we can trust these figures as you and probably also Simon turned on some VW environmental software.
 Dave the Rave 04 Oct 2015

Got in the car this morning with the mrs, and it was 30'. By the time we had finished shopping it was a very frosty - 18.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...