UKC

Is Bradwell a 1 horse village.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alasdair19 03 Oct 2015
Hello

Due to unexpected circumstances the wife and I are considering moving out to Bradwell.

We have a 4 and a 2 year old. Work is reasonably practical. wife grew up in Dronfield/coal Aston. I've never lived in a village for more than a few months.

we currently like living in Sheffield but don't take much advantage of city living and didn't really pre kids.

what's Bradwell like will I find village living a daily mail all minded nightmare?
 Yanis Nayu 03 Oct 2015
In reply to alasdair19:

Great chippy.
 robert-hutton 03 Oct 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

People who I know love it, but Sheffield is. 15-20 minutes away so gives best if both worlds
 Alyson 03 Oct 2015
In reply to alasdair19:

I've a friend who lives there and loves it. Use the pub to get to know local people and the village stories. I believe they're quite welcoming.

One thing to consider is that the school is small. This has benefits but it does mean if your child falls out with a classmate it can be very isolating - there aren't many other children to turn to. I only mention this because it's a recent thing my friend's little boy is going through. I grew up in a village (not as small as Bradwell mind) and loved my childhood.
OP alasdair19 05 Oct 2015
In reply to Alyson:

thanks Alyson
 deepsoup 05 Oct 2015
In reply to alasdair19:
My first thought when I read the title was "Oh? Has Bradwell got a horse now?"

I have a couple of friends who used to live there and are now happy that they've moved back into Sheffield. So pretty much the opposite of Alyson's experience. I don't think there was anything about the village they particularly objected to, they just prefer living in the (nice leafy bit of the) city.
OP alasdair19 05 Oct 2015
In reply to deepsoup:

hmmmm did they have kids?
 deepsoup 06 Oct 2015
In reply to alasdair19:

No. Professional couple, mid to late 40s, no kids.
By the sound of things a bit more into 'city living' (eating out, cinema, etc.) than you.
 walts4 06 Oct 2015
In reply to alasdair19:

Lived in Bradwell many years ago, but prior to having kids.

You will meet & integrate with the other residents far quicker with having children of local school age, although, sure you still have the choice of sending them to a alternative village school.
Quite common to find yourself driving more for the kids to attend after school/weekend activities as they become older, this is common to living in any village to be honest.

I enjoyed living there as quickly realised that Sheffield is only 20 minutes away but obviously you have the advantages of village life, the crux is how dependant you are on city living.
My initial thoughts & concerns on moving to Bradwell from Sheffield were probably similar to yours but really enjoyed living there once I realised that it was really an outlying suburb of Sheffield!
 ByEek 06 Oct 2015
In reply to alasdair19:

If the locals are friendly and welcoming I can thoroughly recommend your kids growing up in a village. The fact that you can let the go and romp out in the countryside is wonderfully liberating. That said, I grew up in a Yorkshire village where you were an outsider if you came from the other end of the village and some of the older folks hadn't visited Keighley or Skipton in over 20 years! Avoid if it is like that! The only other thing that might play on your daily lives, especially in the summer is the tourists. I remember taking 45 minutes to get home from Skipton once when it normally took 15 minutes. A royal pain in the arse if ever there was such a thing.

Go check it out with an open mind. You surely can't go wrong moving to the Hope valley you lucky things!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...