UKC

Breadless lunch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 subtle 06 Oct 2015
Trying to stay off bread, got breakfast and evening meal sorted but finding lunch hard - usual alternatives of soup or salad I guess, but what else is there?
 EddInaBox 06 Oct 2015
In reply to subtle:

Pot Noodle!
 JayPee630 06 Oct 2015
In reply to subtle:
Might help to know why you're avoiding bread. Is it gluten, carbs, wheat, or something else?
Post edited at 10:00
 cuppatea 06 Oct 2015
In reply to subtle:

Ginsters!
 Andy Hardy 06 Oct 2015
In reply to subtle:

Fish and Chips.
Pork pies
Chicken Tikka Massala
All day breakfast (without toast).
robapplegate 06 Oct 2015
In reply to subtle:

Oatcakes and cheese
 john arran 06 Oct 2015
In reply to subtle:

Chocolate seems to work for me often enough.
 goldmember 06 Oct 2015
In reply to subtle:

I have leftovers from the night before
 the sheep 06 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Yup, left over risotto for me today.
 Oldsign 06 Oct 2015
In reply to subtle:

Rice and three, no naan, no chapattis...
 icnoble 06 Oct 2015
In reply to subtle:

porridge
 GrahamD 06 Oct 2015
In reply to subtle:

Beer and Pork Scratchings. Healthy and nutritious.
 fmck 06 Oct 2015
In reply to subtle:

I have done the same although I do still have weight watchers wraps. I cook up some frozen pepper mix, onion and quorn with fajita seasoning. Bake or 1 cal spray fry. I have the wraps with salsa and 0% fat cottage cheese.

I make up packs of savoury brown lentils (Protein) and toss in some frozen cooked prawns for microwaving.

Dhal curry mix either the tin version or make my own and freeze portions.

Use those "Barenaked foods" rice packs as there only 18 calories compared with "Unclebenns" 360cals!

Barenaked foods do noodles as well at only 18 cals a pack compared to normal noodles packed with cals. There only available at "Morrisons" at the moment.

I make loads of soup n freeze usually on a pissing rain day/evening. low fat/ low cal versions.

The list is endless that you can freeze and eat with the above rice or noodles. It make a difference to start cooking your meals and have the packs to just lift each morning. We have a Chinese takeaway at the weekend and I recycle the plastic containers for use freezing.

Oliver Houston 06 Oct 2015
In reply to subtle:

Fruit and nut mix, followed by coffee and cake. Or hot scotcholate, depending on if me/my partner makes it!
 Scarab9 06 Oct 2015
In reply to JayPee630:

> Might help to know why you're avoiding bread. Is it gluten, carbs, wheat, or something else?

^^ this.

Loads of people have got it in their head that bread is bad for you and fattening, which is basically bollocks, particularly if you eat good wholemeal. Even shop bought white bread isnt bad for you (just less beneficial nutritionally). Again both, but wholemeal is best, it's a good source of carbohydrates that break down slowly and keep you going longer. So ....why are you cutting it out?
 nufkin 06 Oct 2015
In reply to subtle:

Sushi? Couscous/quinoa with stuff mixed in? Whatever you normally put between the bread slices, just without the bread?
 JayPee630 06 Oct 2015
In reply to nufkin:

Cous cous no good if it's wheat or gluten or whatever. Nor are Ginsters, cake, noodles, pork pies, etc etc. possibly either! Basically they need to tell us why they're avoiding bread!
 ChrisBrooke 06 Oct 2015
In reply to subtle:

Make an interesting salad. For lunch at work I like to have: spinach (wilted for 1mn in the microwave) or salad, beetroot, spring onions, chopped pepper, baby tomatoes, houmous, olives, avocado. Stuff like that make up a tasty plate of food. Maybe some beef jerky or tinned mackerel to accompany for some extra protein. I'm lucky in that I have access to a) a fridge, and b) a microwave.
 goldmember 06 Oct 2015
In reply to the sheep:

I'm on Chickpea Dahl
 Theo Moore 06 Oct 2015
In reply to subtle:

Pearl Barley, sultana, peanut, kale and olive salad. Easy and quick to make and keeps well in the fridge.
 Andy Morley 06 Oct 2015
In reply to subtle:

Try these no-carb noodles from the Far East - they're made from some kind of a yam...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirataki_noodles

fmck 06 Oct 2015
In reply to Andy Morley:

That's what I'm microwaving for lunch this minute. The rice version with some Heinz dhal lentils.

Its right about the odour they do smell odd when you first open the pack and need rinsing.
 felt 06 Oct 2015
In reply to Scarab9:

> Loads of people have got it in their head that bread is bad for you and fattening, which is basically bollocks, particularly if you eat good wholemeal.

Yeah, right. Two slices of wholemeal bread raise your blood sugar levels more than two tablespoons of refined white sugar.
 Phil1919 06 Oct 2015
In reply to subtle:

I've just had home made soup and rice cakes. Yes, I feel better without bread from time to time.
 Scarab9 06 Oct 2015
In reply to felt:
> Yeah, right. Two slices of wholemeal bread raise your blood sugar levels more than two tablespoons of refined white sugar.

and unless your diabetic this is a problem becaaaaaaaause? You do know that's what happens when you eat right? Wholemeal bread is medium level on the glycemic index which is fine, and actually have nutritional value....but you go eating your spoonfuls of sugar if you want.
Post edited at 13:31
 blurty 06 Oct 2015
In reply to subtle:

Rice cakes (Instead of bread) & left-over salad for me.

You get used to it
 krikoman 06 Oct 2015
In reply to subtle:

Buns, I don't think they count as bread.
 Dave Garnett 06 Oct 2015
In reply to felt:

> Yeah, right. Two slices of wholemeal bread raise your blood sugar levels more than two tablespoons of refined white sugar.

Really? What do you mean by 'more'- higher or longer? I'd be genuinely interested to know where you got this from.
 Indy 06 Oct 2015
In reply to Scarab9:
>Even shop bought white bread isnt bad for you (just less beneficial nutritionally)

I think that we need to make the distinction between highly processed bread i.e the cotton wool chorley wood type and the real bread that's left to ferment naturally.
 Indy 06 Oct 2015
In reply to subtle:

Today I had quality Sushi and a salad coupled with a rice cake topped with dark chocolate.
PamPam 06 Oct 2015
In reply to subtle:

Depends why you want to cut out bread as some of the ideas people will give might be similar to bread.

Miso soup with small cubes of tofu, a bit of spinach and maybe even some ready cooked prawns or noodles is good. The spinach just wilts in the hot water and you get sachets of miso soup that you just add hot water to. The tofu can take a bit of getting used to though.

Microwaving a sweet potato is good, they are better than bog-standard baking potatoes.

I eat a wholemeal wrap with some hummus, baby spinach, chicken pieces, tomato and some pumpkin and sunflower seeds.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...