UKC

Ad pop ups on my tablet pc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sean Kelly 08 Oct 2015

I keep getting ad pop ups or an ad link opening in a new page which is very annoying, and stops me from getting to the link I want. I have downloaded Spybot and AVG but nothing seems to stop these annoying ads. Many words are highlighted and even running the cursor over them brings up the ad. I should point out that I am away in a holiday cottage at present and didn't get all this bother before. Could it be their router?
Help appreciated, thanks.
Post edited at 17:01
OP Sean Kelly 08 Oct 2015
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Bump!
 Jack B 08 Oct 2015
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I take it this is a windows based tablet PC?

This can be caused by a router, but it's usually the result of some malware on the PC. Browser extensions are a common culprit for inserting ads, and are often missed by antivirus (as they aren't technically viruses). One common way of getting infected is to download some software of the internet, and not untick the "do you want some extra crap" box.

The steps to identify and remove it will depend on what browser you are using and which version it is. Usually:
Internet explorer: Tools -> manage add-ons -> click the culprit -> more information -> remove
Chrome: Menu -> more tools -> extensions -> click the dustbin next to the culprit
Firefox: Firefox button -> Tools -> Add-ons -> extensions -> click the culprit -> remove

If you're not sure which extensions you want and which are unwanted, post a list and I'll have a look. If you can't find a culprit there, then maybe suspect the router.
OP Sean Kelly 08 Oct 2015
In reply to Jack B: I seem to have fixed it by myself. by setting the pop up blocker in internet options/tools to high. So good so far . Thanks for the advice.
 mp3ferret 09 Oct 2015
In reply to Sean Kelly:

might be worth downloading and running malware bytes (https://www.malwarebytes.org/) - make sure you choose the free version.

It's usually pretty good at finding all of those (not quite virus) browser extensions etc.

Marc
 The Lemming 09 Oct 2015
In reply to Jack B:

Bit confused, may I ask how it could be the router's fault?
 mp3ferret 09 Oct 2015
In reply to The Lemming:
I don't see how it could - not that i'm a tcp/ip/http/security expert or anything.

Oh ... hang on - yes, i am.

Its very unlikely. Although not, theoretically, impossible.

Marc
Post edited at 16:29
 mp3ferret 09 Oct 2015
In reply to Luke90:

Indeed - that is a relatively common hack. But 'Many words are highlighted and even running the cursor over them brings up the ad' would suggest its running in the browser. Still, I think, possible - but considerably harder than redirecting known advert sites ip addresses.
 Jack B 10 Oct 2015
In reply to The Lemming:
It's quite possible to insert things into content as it comes through, but yes, it's extremely rare.

We did it a few years ago as a prank on a flatmate. We got an old desktop, and set up it's WiFi as an access point. Configured it the same as our flat's WiFi, then turned the original off. The desktop sent internet traffic to the router via an Ethernet cable, but only after running it through a squid proxy. We used squid's content adaptation features to play with the webpages she was seeing (and leave everyone else's traffic alone). One day all the images were upside down. The next they were black and white. The day after that, we inserted something into the CSS to make all the text come out backwards. We didn't put any adds in, but it would have been easy enough to insert an IntelliTXT script into the pages, if IntelliTXT had existed back then.

Now, we used a desktop computer to do this. There's no way a typical router could have run the proxy software we used. But this was a looong time ago (the desktop was a pentium IV, I guess that dates it a bit), and routers have got a lot more powerful since then.
If someone wanted to hack a router and do this, I reckon it would be possible. Write a virus that exploits the frankly shocking security on a lot of home routers, and drops in a lightweight proxy server. By inserting an IntelliTXT script or similar, you get the victim's browser to do most of the hard work, so it should be possible to get things working on the limited hardware of a consumer router. Remember, these aren't completely dumb boxes, they usually run some form of Linux, and most of the network-related tools you might need are already there.
Another option would be if a company wanted to run an add-supported low-cost internet service, they could use a real server to do the hard work. I can't imagine a real ISP doing this, but maybe a "free wifi" provider might. Assuming it's not illegal.

To be clear, I've never seen either of those in the wild. I expect compromised routers are worth more as part of bot-nets than serving up adds to their users. Dodgy browser plugins are many orders of magnitude more likely.

Edited to add: This was in an environment were computer-security related pranks were widespread and all part of the fun and games. We also took care not to mess with HTTPS traffic. Pulling this kind of prank on people who aren't willing participants could get you in a lot of trouble.
Post edited at 00:46
Wiley Coyote2 10 Oct 2015
In reply to Jack B:

I have just realised how far behind the tech world has left me. Was any of that even in English?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...