UKC

Duty of Care - Saudi style

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greenbanks 09 Oct 2015
Another great advert for Saudi. I expect the 'employer' will be scolded and told to mend his ways

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-34483504
 The Lemming 09 Oct 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:
And yet western governments and business still fall down at the feet of the rich Saudi wallets/purses.

Post edited at 12:33
In reply to Greenbanks: You're right. I winced and rolled my eyes at Cameron's latest interview on the BBC where he essentially said that he colluded with Saudi Arabia getting onto (and then becoming chair) of the UN Human Rights Council because they (the Saudis) "give us lots of intelligence that keeps us safe". This conveniently ignores the fact that the Saudis are the main funder and exporter of extremist Islamic terrorismm, and that without them and their Wahabist evil we would be infinitely safer than we are now. Say what you like about Corbyn but he wouldn't collude with those fundamentalist lunatics.

OP Greenbanks 09 Oct 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Its not just businesses either; might be interesting to do a trawl to see which of our prestigious (and not so prestigious) universities engage in research contracts with Saudi. Problem is, I suspect, that many would claim that such activity is for humanitarian/medical/cultural purposes.
 Trangia 09 Oct 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

Quite right too. One can't have one's staff trying to leave without valid reason, whatever is the world coming to?
 wintertree 09 Oct 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

> Its not just businesses either; might be interesting to do a trawl to see which of our prestigious (and not so prestigious) universities engage in research contracts with Saudi. Problem is, I suspect, that many would claim that such activity is for humanitarian/medical/cultural purposes.

There's quite a dilemma here? Are liberal institutions going to effect more change over a repressive regime by ignoring it, or by working with its people, by hosting them in our environment, by hopefully sending some cultural attitudes their way in return>
 mark s 09 Oct 2015
In reply to Frank the Husky:

well said martin(frank)
Snow wouldnt let up and cameron the cnut showed his arse
 Indy 09 Oct 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

Out of interest how is this different from Shops in the UK getting stock from 3rd world sweat shops and customers lapping up the cheap prices?
In reply to Indy:

Well, you can take it there if you wish. The thread is about a particularly brutal event in a country which appears to have a capacity to ingratiate itself with all and sundry because of its resources and strategic positioning.
 Ridge 09 Oct 2015

Agree with almost everything you've posted there. The Saudis are a major destabilising influence in the Middle East and beyond.

However:

> Say what you like about Corbyn but he wouldn't collude with those fundamentalist lunatics.

Can we be so sure? Realpolitik will play a part in dealing with the Saudis.
In reply to Ridge:

Corbyn is bound to subside in the face of a 'Yes, Prime Minister' style line of 'advice' from senior civil servants (and we know their lineage, don't we?)
 JayPee630 09 Oct 2015
In reply to Indy:

Erm, really different?
 1234None 09 Oct 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:
Sickening. I live in the Middle East and while a handful of incidents like this make it into the press in the UK, I've been horrified by just how common they are. Stuff like this happens every single week in some areas. Where we live, the local paper reported last year a maid killed by her employer's pet lion. A few weeks before it killed her, it had attacked her a first time and she got away with just a few large scars. She wasn't allowed to quit her job after the first attack so it was back to work. Sounds hard to believe I know, but some guys here like to keep big cats to impress the chicks. It's pretty common to see them out for walks with their owners or in vehicles at the traffic lights.

Almost every week maids from the Philippines, Bangladesh, India etc chuck themselves out of windows or hang themselves as it's their only way to escape the horrific treatment by their employer. That's not to mention the number beaten or raped every single day. Or more low level, but in some ways equally depressing stuff like them being made to sleep in cupboards and spoken to like dirt in public. Living here at times is a real eye opener and a great lesson in how not to treat others...there must be some real desperation where many of these people originate from as many know they take a risk of this sort of treatment, yet they still come. I now really appreciate how well people treat each other in general in other parts of the world, and how fortunate I am to be able to leave this area whenever I choose.
Post edited at 17:24
In reply to 1234None:

Blimey. So its not just the odd case here and there then?
 1234None 09 Oct 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

Not at all...much more common than many would believe! The UK will say and do nothing about it though...too big a market for weapons in the Middle East! And probably a growing market!

abseil 09 Oct 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

I'm just wondering out loud, seriously, what punishment is the employer likely to face if tried and if found guilty? (I don't know of course). Thanks.
In reply to abseil:

No idea - but there seems an almost casual acceptance that such acts are part and parcel of life. I know nothing of life inside Saudi, just how my sensibilities are impacted by such stories. I suspect there is much worse going on.
abseil 09 Oct 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

Thanks a lot for your reply.
 Wsdconst 09 Oct 2015
In reply to 1234None:

Hi,just a quick question,does anyone oppose this behaviour or is it just seen as normal? This is the first I've heard of this,and I feel quite disturbed to be honest.
 deepsoup 09 Oct 2015
In reply to 1234None:
> She wasn't allowed to quit her job after the first attack so it was back to work.

Here's the rub. And I bet even in the unlikely event that this poor woman's employer is prosecuted, she'll still be unable to get an exit visa and leave the country without his permission. One can only hope that someone with the rank to force him to take notice will have a word and ensure the permission is forthcoming.

It's hard to see how the Saudis (and Qataris) treatment of migrant workers is not tantamount to slavery.
 Lesdavmor 09 Oct 2015
In reply to Wsdconst:

There is nothing normal about life in s. a. At best, hypocrisy is the norm.
To give a very minor example, when I was disposing of bottles which had contained home made alcoholic beverages,
they were well rinsed out before putting in the skip ( both to avoid offence as well as detection). My neighbour opposite who was a minor s .a. prince frequently dumped branded vodka & whisky bottles containing visible dregs in the same skip.
 Ridge 09 Oct 2015
In reply to deepsoup:

> It's hard to see how the Saudis (and Qataris) treatment of migrant workers is not tantamount to slavery.

Not just in Saudi. Allegedly very similar things go on in Saudi residences in London.
 1234None 10 Oct 2015
In reply to Wsdconst:
> Hi,just a quick question,does anyone oppose this behaviour or is it just seen as normal? This is the first I've heard of this,and I feel quite disturbed to be honest.

Yes, it is very disturbing. I've felt quite sick reading some of the reports in the English language papers here. Even the press seem to make a habit of implying that the maids are somehow at fault and the perpetrators and upstanding citizens... "The family maid, who often dressed provocatively, threw herself out of the 10th floor window after alleging rape by her well-respected employer on several occasions...blah...blah."

Locals are very rarely prosecuted. Amongst some of them it is definitely considered normal. Occasionally the perpetrator may end up in court, but I suspect not much happens by way of real punishment. If it were the other way round (an expat worker doing something theyshouldn't or even just being a tad rude to their employer) then of course they'll be subjected to some sort of horrific punishment.

Occasionally, I've spoken out when I've observed people yelling at their maid or just generally treating them like dirt in public but it just creates a massive scene in which there will only be one person who really suffers.

I've been told by friends who originate from here that it hasn't always been like this and that - if anything - it's getting worse rather than better.
Post edited at 04:51
 radddogg 10 Oct 2015
In reply to Indy:
I think the problem here its that it's impossible to buy clothes that weren't made in a sweat shop. We'd all be naked
Post edited at 08:56
 Dave Garnett 10 Oct 2015

> You're right. I winced and rolled my eyes at Cameron's latest interview on the BBC where he essentially said that he colluded with Saudi Arabia getting onto (and then becoming chair) of the UN Human Rights Council because they (the Saudis) "give us lots of intelligence that keeps us safe".

Emily Maitlis interviewed the Saudi ambassador on Newsnight last night. He came across as rather pompous and was clearly irritated by being challenged, especially by a woman. He was shameless though. He questioned all the statistics, rubbished everything said by Amnesty International and basically said it was none of anyone else's business.

In particular, he saw no contradiction at all between Saudi Arabia being a candidate to chair the UN Human Rights Council and the beheading and crucifying of an under-age political protester, or sentencing a blogger to be flogged to death for saying things he didn't agree with, since it was all done according to the due process of Sharia law. So that's all right then.

In reply to Greenbanks:

> Another great advert for Saudi.

>I expect the 'employer' will be scolded and told to mend his ways

Gosh, that sounds a bit draconian. I doubt they'll go that far.

jcm

Indy 10 Oct 2015
In reply to radddogg:

Bullshit.
 Indy 10 Oct 2015
In reply to JayPee630:

> Erm, really different?

So a person working in a factory for 12 hours day with little to no breaks has his arm ripped off by a machine that the guards have been removed from to speed it up is 'really different"?
 Indy 10 Oct 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

> The thread is about a particularly brutal event in a country which appears to have a capacity to ingratiate itself with all and sundry because of its resources and strategic positioning.

So with your logic because Ian Huntely was a paedophile child killer then every man in the UK is also a paedophile child killer? Your comparing the brutality of one man and then tarring an entire nation with it.

Will your next thread be disgust at arming Israel? hmmm I doubt it.
In reply to Indy:

That argument would make sense if this was an isolated incident and there was good reason to believe the local authorities would deal with the perpetrator appropriately.

Are you arguing it is and they will, or was that just a spectacularly bad choice of analogy?
 JayPee630 10 Oct 2015
In reply to Indy:

Yes, they are really different in almost all ways. Just because they're both horrendous doesn't make them the same. Is that difficult to grasp?
OP Greenbanks 11 Oct 2015
In reply to Indy:

Well, that's your logic - not mine. The 'public face' of Saudi is pretty grim: most commentators would certainly say that. There are umpteen cases to support a view that this is representative of an pretty endemic attitude. Dig into the Amnesty files if you don't think this is so.
 1234None 11 Oct 2015
In reply to Indy:

> So with your logic because Ian Huntely was a paedophile child killer then every man in the UK is also a paedophile child killer? Your comparing the brutality of one man and then tarring an entire nation with it.

This sort of thing is very widespread in Saudi and other gulf nations, and their governments choose to do almost nothing to prevent it. I suspect when people say "the Saudis," that's what they're implying.

deepsoup 11 Oct 2015
In reply to Ridge:
> Not just in Saudi. Allegedly very similar things go on in Saudi residences in London.

Wouldn't surprise me at all. Horror stories make it into the media from time to time about that very thing. Not just Saudi residences, the residences of rich scumbags (and even a few barely wealthy scumbags) of all nationalities including our home-grown variety.

The crucial difference though, for me, is the connivance of the state. Even our current government of amoral avaricious greased weasels in Saville Row suits draw the line at condoning yer actual slavery (in public anyway).

If one of those people being effectively kept as a slave in London can somehow contrive to get to an airport with their passport and money to buy a ticket they can go home. In Saudi or Qatar they can't leave the country without an exit visa, and they can't get an exit visa without the explicit permission of their employer. They will in effect be told, by employees of the state - police, customs & such, "Where the f*ck do you think you're going? Your employer hasn't given you permission to leave."
 Timmd 11 Oct 2015
In reply to Indy:
> So a person working in a factory for 12 hours day with little to no breaks has his arm ripped off by a machine that the guards have been removed from to speed it up is 'really different"?

If it weren't for your 'combative' approach (in responding 'Bullshit' further up to somebody saying it's not possible to buy clothes which have been produced in good conditions) I think your general point might have more chance in coming across.

It definitely *is* possible to buy clothes which haven't been produced in unsafe and exploitive conditions, and there possibly is a certain hypocrisy, or a lack of thought at least, in people not thinking where their clothing comes from while condemning what can happen in places like Saudi Arabia .
Post edited at 13:18
 Trevers 11 Oct 2015
In reply to mark s:

> Snow wouldnt let up and cameron the cnut showed his arse

Cameron is below contempt. Again.
 radddogg 11 Oct 2015
In reply to Indy:

Care to substantiate your outburst?
 radddogg 11 Oct 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

My wife works for an aerospace manufacturer of which one of their customers is the Royal Saudi Air Force. She facilitates the Saudi nationals training visits to the UK. One of the Saudi majors was complaining about something to my wife and a female colleague, sneering at then and patronising them, one of their male colleagues came in and he treated the man totally differently, shaking his hand and speaking politely to him.

They treat women like second rate citizens
Jim C 11 Oct 2015

The Saudi human rights minister rationalises their attitude to HR by saying Sharia human rights ARE the highest standard in the world.
You can't argue with that kind of twisted logic.

OP Greenbanks 11 Oct 2015
In reply to 1234None:

Off next week to do some work in Muscat & Oman; I have taken soundings on this & it seems like its one of the more benign of the Gulf regimes. That's information from a few people who have had dealings there. So I hope that what is developing into an unfortunate Middle East stereotype can be confounded.
 steve taylor 12 Oct 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

Interesting thread - from the perspective of someone who has lived in Saudi for 3 years.

The Omanis seem to be the happiest of the GCC people. They walk with a proper swagger as if to say "look at me, I'm an Omani". Great country and the nicest in the area. I hate flying back to Saudi after I've been there.

There is some great climbing around Muscat too - I can put you in touch with some locals if you have time to get out.
OP Greenbanks 12 Oct 2015
In reply to steve taylor:

Cheers Steve - mine is only a brief visit this time, so its unlikely that I'll be out of non-work mode.
But it is reassuring that what you are saying seems to confirm others I've spoken to about Oman. I am looking forward to going there.
 1234None 12 Oct 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

I can second Steve's opinion about Oman. Stunning country with friendly, welcoming people. We had people drive 40kms out of their way just to show us where the ATM was, and were invited to dine and lodge with numerous families in remote areas. On one day a random guy we met in The souq in Sur took our whole family out on a boat to snorkel, fish and swim with dolphins and turtles. He also brought lunch and tea along and looked after us all day. Wouldn't let us pay him or buy him dinner to thank him. Fantastic hospitality. Try to go back for a longer trip...it's worth it! We were in more remote areas outside Muscat, but even there the people are great.

Omanis drive taxis and work in hotels, and it's common to find Omanis working for people from other countries. Very different to the situation in many other GCC countries. 4 or 5 hours down the coast from Muscat there are still loads of people still living in tents getting by keeping goats, camels and going out fishing.
 Rob Naylor 12 Oct 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

Agree with the other comments about Oman. I've been there about 9 times for work, and it really is a nice country. The Omanis are great people and as PeakDJ says, often work at jobs that would be "outsourced" to Bangladeshis etc in the Gulf States.

Not sure why the Omanis seem so much more down to earth. I tended to think that it was partly because, while the Gulf peoples were historically very "inward looking" (ie towards the Arabian Gulf), the Omanis, with their strong trading links with India, and their former empire stretching down the East African coast and encompassing Zanzibar, were outward looking and more cosmopolitan.

Any way...it's the only one of the middle east countries that I've visited where I'd feel very happy to live for a time.
OP Greenbanks 13 Oct 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

Interestingly -http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34518706

Gove was involved in discussions I understand; he was opposed to the Saudi deal: a signal act of honour amongst our politicians at last maybe?
 1234None 15 Oct 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:
Local news article from the English language Arab times today gives an insight into what happens in some of these countries...

"Police have taken into custody a citizen who refused to hand over his pet lion on request. The police had been informed about the lion by passers by but when they reached the area they were shocked to see the lion. When they asked him to hand over the lion to the concerned authority he refused. He then reportedly informed the security men that the animal was hungry and that they would make a very good meal if he opened the animal's pen. It is not clear whether the animal was eventually seized."

I suspect he made a few calls and the police/security people left with their tails between their legs, so to speak!
Post edited at 06:27
 steve taylor 15 Oct 2015
In reply to 1234None:

Looks like it isn't the same lion that's been eating a Kuwaiti's staff recently.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/kuwait/kuwaiti-lion-owner-sued-for-death-of-m...

This is a surreal part of the world!
 1234None 15 Oct 2015
In reply to steve taylor:

Yeah...I mentioned that one higher up the thread. Worryingly, they both happened not far from where we live. I've seen plenty of big cats in cars on the gulf road. In a country where it's seemingly this easy to import a lion, surely anything is possible....! Yet more articles this week about maid suicides and disappearances too. Have to stop reading those local new columns. Very depressing!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...