UKC

Suggestions for kiddies books

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goldmember 10 Oct 2015
The wee is starting to sprout well (5 weeks). I'm am thinking its time to start reading to her at night, she is much to young to understand whats going happening.
I'm keen to get some kiddie book to read to her.
We have some old classics, Gerry the giraffe, town and country mouse, Tessa of puddle lane...
I'm considering some books like the Mr Men and Little Miss books and some Harry Potter.

What books did you read for your nippers?
 felt 10 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

A discovery we made that wasn't around when I was a toddler is the Julia Donaldson/Axel Scheffler books. Not just The Gruffalo books, tho they're great; check out esp. Tiddler, Stickman, A Squash and a Squeeze, Zog, etc. Both words -- great rhyme and rhythm -- and pics (oddly influenced, I'm sure, by The Furry Freak Brothers/Sheldon) are fab. Books by her that aren't illustrated by Scheffler aren't so good, imo.

Where the Wild Things Are/Sendak is still a favourite.
 Alyson 10 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

The books my little one responded to earliest were Meg and Mog books (Helen Nichols & Jan Pienkowski). They have simple text and bold pictures in bright colours. You'll be amazed how soon a baby who can't yet speak can point to images when asked, eg Where is the cat? There are lots of books available which are simply a picture and a word on each page but there's no pleasure in reading them. Meg and Mog are good stories.

She also liked books with flaps and feely bits but they quickly got trashed!
 Alyson 10 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Also, I'll second the Donaldson/Scheffler books. Rhyming books are great, especially when they're a wee bit older. Mine's just turned 2 and has them memorised - if I get a word wrong I get told off (which is a fun game to play!)
 gazhbo 10 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:
Oliver Jeffers is great. Funny for grown ups as well but not in a creepy double-entendre way. My daughter liked Stuck and That Moose Belongs to me.
Post edited at 11:27
 alasdair19 10 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

not really a fan of mister men stop being Mr messy and conform...

all Julia Donaldson are good some superb
hairy mclairy from Donaldson dairy series is good

ones that ryme do your head in lless after umpteenth repetition. the that's not my train / monkey / Santa are a good series for tiddlers
 wbo 10 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember: I like Mr Men books. Dr Seuss is very good, and comprehensible from a very early stage.

I particularly like Richard Scarry as well

In reply to goldmember:

Itzy Bitzy House, and The Girl Pirates. Chris Riddell's books are also excellent for you to admire the artwork whilst you're reading them for the fifteenth night straight.
 alasdair19 10 Oct 2015
In reply to Martin not maisie:

I'll look out for them the Katie morag books are beautifully illustrated too
 Mike Mead 10 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Owl babies
The hungry caterpillar
Guess how much I love you
Sally and the limpet

Must have read them a thousand times!
 Alyson 10 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Ooh I've thought of another great one - Solomon Crocodile by Catherine Rayner. A good one for doing funny voices and the final "Uh oh, here comes.... DOUBLE TROUBLE!" got lots of delighted squeals. Still a favourite.
 Sealwife 10 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Yep. Julia Donaldson books are excellent. Lynley Dodd's Slinki Malinki and Hairy McLairy series, anything by Dr Seuss.

For the teeny tinies, Guess How Much I love You, and Each Peach Pear Plum.

The Little Mole who knew it was None of his Business, if you enjoy reading about the poo of many creatures.
 Gills 10 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

The tiger who came to tea

No idea why, it's such a random story but wee ones seem to love it! Mum does it every year with her pre-school kids and I think I've read it so many times in the last couple years that I know it by heart!!
In reply to goldmember:

Dear Zoo by Rod Campbell great lift the flap book.
 Fredt 10 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:
The Hairy Maclary books, are great, my grandson loves them.
Also he loves books with real photos of everyday things, animals, transport food etc. to read just the names, - story's will come later.
And he loves books wher you lift up the flaps to reveal things that are hiding,
Post edited at 21:30
 Will Wykes 11 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Pants and more pants
Dragon stew
 felt 11 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Forgot to mention Peepo, by the Ahlbergs (of Each Peach ..., as per above suggestion). .
 NathanP 11 Oct 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Lots of my daughter's former favourites have already been recommended so I'll second: Julia Donaldson Gruffalo etc) , Mairi Hedderwick (Katie Morag), Janet and Allan Ahlberg, Judith Kerr (The Tiger who came to Tea and Mog), The Very Hungry Caterpillar and Hairy MacLary. Add to that: Beatrix Potter - get them used to the idea of going to Cumbria. Martin Waddell (Owl Babies and Little Bear) - generally Walker Books seemed pretty reliable,Dear Zoo and Elmer the Patchwork Elephant...

But you have a short window where its really doesn't matter what you read, just as long as you read something so make the most of that and read whatever you enjoy.
 Bulls Crack 11 Oct 2015
In reply to Gills:

It's a children's' literary classic! Course text on some PGCE courses (Primary!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...