UKC

Knee problems

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Ice Doctor 10 Oct 2015
With age, the body wears out. I have rheumatic pains in my knees, and I haven't even reached 50 yet.

Can anyone offer any advice to alleviate it ? Other than taking pain killers, using knees supports or using walking poles!
 the power 10 Oct 2015
In reply to The Ice Doctor:

Foam roller
 wbo 10 Oct 2015
In reply to The Ice Doctor: I assume you#re taking gentle daily exercise?

Do you have a proper diagnosis or is this a guesstimate? Has your doctor prescribed antirheumatics?
 nniff 10 Oct 2015

I think you've got it in a nutshell, sorry to say. You could get someone to scan them to see how bad they are and if there is anything to be done. Other than that, invent a time machine, stop running and take up road cycling instead to keep fit, and descend carefully in the hills. And don't jump off bouldering.
 veteye 10 Oct 2015

I agree with the others that you need to have the conversation in part at least with your doctor and then with those work in the specialties.
I think that consistency of exercise is a big factor. If you do little and then suddenly do a whole 2-3 days of exercising like mad, then your joints will suffer. You need to keep your muscles in good form as they actually can protect your joints.
Don't smoke as smoking actually makes Rheumatoid arthritis far worse(not that you have that diagnosis yet).
 ScottTalbot 10 Oct 2015

If your GP's anything like mine, your legs will have to fall off before you can get a referral!

As said, you should try a foam roller and roll out your IT Band. It's amazing how much knee pain that can alleviate!
 SouthernSteve 10 Oct 2015
In reply to ScottTalbot:

I agree about the GP. Go and see a sports orientated physio and foam roll LOTS. The physio will triage you better than the GP and probably do considerable good as well. Tight muscles around the knees do cause quite a lot of aching when you are in your dotage and the rolling will generally do a good job, but a good massage may be needed for where the foam won't reach.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...