UKC

Holiday Entitlement

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 arch 12 Oct 2015

Not sure how this has come about, but there is a discrepancy in the amount of holidays I've got left at work. My records show I have 5 days remaining. Work has it down as 16 days. They have obviously missed some of the days off I've taken off their holiday record. I need to take the remaining holidays before December.

Do I fess up and tell them, or do I take those days the company say I have left ??
Post edited at 16:06
 Mooncat 12 Oct 2015
In reply to arch:

Just depends whether you want brownie points for honesty or potential formal action ifthe discrepancy shows up in an audit in the future.
 fmck 12 Oct 2015
In reply to arch:

It happened to me last year. Crime pays!
 jonfun21 12 Oct 2015
In reply to arch:

.....think about your reaction/action if the situation was reversed. The right thing to do is tell them about the discrepancy.
 stubbed 12 Oct 2015
In reply to arch:

You tell them, just take the days you are owed.
In any case, someone would notice eventually.
 ByEek 12 Oct 2015
In reply to arch:

> Do I fess up and tell them, or do I take those days the company say I have left ??

I worked for a large company once. I wanted to know how many holidays I had left for the year so I emailed HR. They had no records and said is was down my local HR person. She had no idea and said it was down to my line manager. He had no idea as he was a bit of a muppet. I had quite a good year that year.
OP arch 12 Oct 2015
In reply to ByEek:

> I worked for a large company once. I wanted to know how many holidays I had left for the year so I emailed HR. They had no records and said is was down my local HR person. She had no idea and said it was down to my line manager. He had no idea. I had quite a good year that year.

This.

I've been into the office today and asked how much holiday I have left. The girl I asked got it up on the PC and it said 16 days. I only asked because I'd mislaid my personal copy (An A4 sheet of paper) and wanted a new one. I'm not sure anyone in the office would know about the discrepancy.
 Philip 12 Oct 2015
In reply to arch:

> Not sure how this has come about, but there is a discrepancy in the amount of holidays I've got left at work. My records show I have 5 days remaining. Work has it down as 16 days. They have obviously missed some of the days off I've taken off their holiday record. I need to take the remaining holidays before December.

> Do I fess up and tell them, or do I take those days the company say I have left ??

Happened at my work. The lady who looked after holiday booking missed off a week, a production worker was told he had 5 days left to take, his manager didn't notice (we have fixed holidays, so he should have only had 7 floating days). He took them, it was found out, the lady who did the holidays had the responsibility removed and was reprimanded. Could have been worse for her.

So, perhaps you should consider the consequences before taking the undue holiday. Or just take it.
 Jon Stewart 12 Oct 2015
In reply to arch:
Sounds like you're unlikely to get caught.

The question I think you need to ask is: do they screw me for everything they can, and is this evening up the score ever so slightly, or do they treat me in such a way that this is screwing them? Play through each of the options and look at the whole, big picture. Who is getting screwed in each version?
Post edited at 21:39
 rj_townsend 12 Oct 2015
In reply to arch:

The fact that you're even asking the question means that deep-down you know the right answer already...
OP arch 12 Oct 2015
In reply to rj_townsend:

Possibly, but I can almost guarantee that I'll get a phone call sometime in November informing me I still have holiday left to take.
 Gav Parker 12 Oct 2015
In reply to arch:

Take the time off if that's what the records show......enjoy!
 ByEek 13 Oct 2015
In reply to arch:

> I've been into the office today and asked how much holiday I have left. The girl I asked got it up on the PC and it said 16 days. I only asked because I'd mislaid my personal copy (An A4 sheet of paper) and wanted a new one. I'm not sure anyone in the office would know about the discrepancy.

Well there you go then. For the odd day or so who is to know. It is the companies own silly fault for not implementing the simplest of record keeping systems.
 BazVee 13 Oct 2015
In reply to arch:

I remember at my last employer my holiday records being wrong like yours and I owned up, I didn't really get any thank you and was made redundant the following year. Do what you think you should.
OP arch 13 Oct 2015
In reply to arch:
We have a strange system with regards to booking time for our time sheet. We have to book down every week day of the year, even bank holidays. If you have Christmas and Boxing Day off, then the rest of the week as well, we have to book 3 days as absence-holiday then 2 days absence- bank holiday. But there doesn't seem to be any correlation between the way the holidays/work are booked in on the time sheet.

You'd think the system would pick out the difference between the two.

Post edited at 11:16
Robyn Vacher 13 Oct 2015
In reply to arch:

Take 10 days and tell them you're kindly giving them back the remaining 6 as you're too devoted to your job to want to take any more

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...