UKC

Ouray Ice Park

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 berna 20 Oct 2015
Dear all,

I am heading to Ouray for a week over the holidays and was would appreciate any tips, suggestions, do's/do not's, ideas, etc. that you may have.

Many thanks in advance.
 Webster 20 Oct 2015
In reply to berna:

Do's - have fun! it loks awsome! only wish i had had my tools when i visited it briefly...
 maninblack 21 Oct 2015
In reply to berna:

Get up early,it can get busy. It's very busy around the ice fest weekend. Get out before they switch the taps on. Use the fixed anchors ,not the fence or the pipes. Baggsy a route by clipping gear to it's anchor,otherwise you might be halfway leading up only to find someone throw a top rope over you. Take a warm belay jacket and your best boots, plenty of change out gloves in case you get wet. There's a handy mini market in town. A 4x4 and /or snow chains could be needed if you do anything out of town, it can dump a hell of a lot. There are loads of instructors, especially in the 'schoolroom' area, they are only allowed to take up so many routes and have to have ID clipped to the anchor,they can overstay sometimes. Take a long piece of 7mm cord for creating anchors off the trees in some of the less popular areas. Buy the latest topo guide locally (all proceeds to the park) its invaluable. Skylight and Gravity's Rainbow are excellent routes just out of town. There is a well stocked climbing shop in town. Go to the hot spa (naked if you want!).
Have fun,it's a great place and not infested with Bigmacs and other chain crap.
MiB
OP berna 22 Oct 2015
In reply to maninblack:

Thanks a lot mate, this is just the kind of info I was after!
 Babika 28 Oct 2015
In reply to Webster:

It was -20o when I was there and belaying in the gorge was bloody freezing. I was glad of the double layer plastic boots and as much down as I could physically wear. A friend had those heat pads inside his boots.

Brilliant place though! Another vote for the open air spa pools!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...