UKC

Bouldering spots accessible by public transport from Manchester

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tpgough 21 Oct 2015
Just picked up my first bouldering mat (cheers jpalmieri) and keen to get outdoors a little more. Where are the best places that I can get to without a car from Manchester? Don't mind a bit of a trek.

Cheers,
Tom
 Offwidth 21 Oct 2015
In reply to Tpgough:

This place must be easy:

Hobson Moor Quarry
crisp 21 Oct 2015
In reply to Tpgough:

Brownstones (North Bolton)
 Tom Valentine 21 Oct 2015
In reply to Tpgough:

Wimberry boulders.
very well documented.
180 bus from Manchester to the Clarence then a 20 + minute walk.

But in spite of the current trend for classifying gritstone as "winter rock", I never used to boulder here outside BST.
 jonathandavey 21 Oct 2015
In reply to Tpgough:

Depends on your definition of walking distance really.

Bridestones (train to Todmorden, 30-45 minute walk up the hill).
Stony Edge (train to Walsden, 45 minute walk)
Blackstone Edge (Train to Smithy Bridge, bus/walk up A58)
New Mills (train to... well... New Mills)
Castle Naze (train to Chapel en le Frith, 30 mins walk).
Woodhouse Scar (train to Halifax, 1.5 mile walk)

There's plenty around the Hathersage/Grindleford train stations, I'm not an expert on the area's bouldering, but a train from Manchester to Llandudno/Conwy Valley doesn't take as long as you might think. Definitely doable for a nice day trip.
 Jon Stewart 21 Oct 2015
In reply to Tpgough:

Bit of a faff (change trains at Leeds, to Saltaire, then a short walk), but brilliant climbing at Shipley Glen. The first time I went I thought it was a right dump, but when I got to know the place, I became one with the spirit of the Glen.
 Jon Stewart 21 Oct 2015
In reply to jonathandavey:
> There's plenty around the Hathersage/Grindleford train stations

If you like a bit of a walk with your bouldering, you could get off the train at Grindleford, walk up to Burbage South, up to Burbage North, up to Stanage North, along to the Plantation and back down to Hathersage. Great day, do a few problems on each crag and you'll come home absolutely knackered. Nice introduction to the crags though, you'll see lots of classic routes and things to come back to along the way.

Also from Grindleford, a walk up to Curbar and then all along the crag and onto Froggatt, call in at the Grouse for a steak pie and a few beers, then stumble down in the dark to back to Grindleford would be another excellent day.
Post edited at 19:32
 sxrxg 22 Oct 2015
In reply to Tpgough:

Train to Widnes and then just over a mile walk to Pex Hill - http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1133
Removed User 22 Oct 2015
In reply to jonathandavey:

I think I'd rather stab myself in the face than walk up the A58 to do Blackstones. The walk from the pub car park is long enough already!
 paul mitchell 22 Oct 2015
In reply to Tpgough:
New Mills,3 minutes walk from New Mills Central.If you want to try the OTHER bridge traverse,go to the bridge that is on the Hayfield road,visible to your right,above the weir,when your left shoulder faces Bionics.This traverse has had no repeats yet,called Bleating.It is approached by a wooden footbridge,next to the hydro power generator.Slightly easier than Power Band at Ravenstor.Left to right is harder.Any flashed completion will be awarded a free pint.
Post edited at 12:07
 robin mueller 22 Oct 2015
In reply to Removed User:

> I think I'd rather stab myself in the face than walk up the A58 to do Blackstones. The walk from the pub car park is long enough already!

The 528 Rochdale to Halifax bus apparently goes hourly and will get you to the pub. Then 25min walk to the crag. Blackstone Edge

From the same spot, it's a flat walk to cows mouth in 20min Cow's Mouth Quarry
Stony Edge in 50min Stony Edge
and Dove Lowe in 50ish min. Dove Lowe
Loads to do!
You could also get the bus up the littleborough to Todmorden road and get to Higher Chelburn. Higher Chelburn

There are also plenty of quarries in the south lancs/greater manchester area that will be accessible by trains and buses. Brownstones has been mentioned, but there are lots more with bouldering. Brownstones Wilton 1

Removed User 22 Oct 2015
In reply to robin mueller:
Stony was good, some really nice problems. The unlisted highball slabs left of the slabs listed in the Lancs bouldering guide were brilliant.
Post edited at 12:54

> Stony was good, some really nice problems. The unlisted highball slabs left of the slabs listed in the Lancs bouldering guide were brilliant.

Was that you in this video? vimeo.com/142715079

I enjoyed that vid. Haven't done those highballs - when I was documenting for the guidebook they looked a little high, but you make them look good fun with a pile of pads. I know they will be listed as routes in the next trad guidebook, but maybe they should be on the bouldering radar too.

Removed User 22 Oct 2015

It was indeed. I can't imagine they'd take more than a piece of gear each, the juggy break is probably around 6m at the highest.

Here's the view from the ground (not showing the bottom foot or so which has a couple of stacked pads): http://i.imgur.com/o76F0tO.jpg

Nice shot. Yeah, they look like great fun and not too high. Can I share your pic on twitter/facebook please? Might inspire a few people...
Removed User 22 Oct 2015

Sure thing, sent you a friend request so you can share directly.
OP Tpgough 22 Oct 2015
In reply to Tpgough:

Thanks for all the advice. I'll try to get out next weekend, weather permitting.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...