UKC

RWC semis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Gone for good 24 Oct 2015
Predictions for the final.?
I'm going for New Zealand to win by 2 tries against the Springboks and Argentina to beat Australia in a bail biting forwards tussle.
Either way I'm expecting 2 titanic games living up to the rest of this brilliant world cup!
 balmybaldwin 24 Oct 2015
In reply to Gone for good:

I'm struggling to decide who to support. Think it'll have to be the bokke today and the argies tomorrow... Backing the underdogs. Should be really good games
 Horse 24 Oct 2015

I'm going Boks and Los Pumas, I suspect though today might turn Black.
Pan Ron 24 Oct 2015

Lots of room for unpredictability given the wet conditions. Maybe not quite as nice to watch as a result, but may even it all out a bit.
 balmybaldwin 24 Oct 2015

Looks good for the boks so far. Some silly mistakes from the all blacks
 Bob Hughes 24 Oct 2015
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Interesting first half for the boks!
In reply to Bob Hughes: The Springboks have looked good without threatening the All Blacks. I feel the tide may turn in the second half though .
Pan Ron 24 Oct 2015
> I feel the tide may turn in the second half though .

Usual all-blacks style. But they are a player down and so far not able to play the rugby they clearly want to. While the ABs are good at closing games down in the last 20 minutes, that's not such a sure thing against the saffas. On the current performance and penalty count, SA deserve the win more than the ABs.
Post edited at 16:59
In reply to David Martin:
Sonny Bill might make the difference.
Pan Ron 24 Oct 2015

Maybe, but his thing is the off-loads, which might not work in the wet so well.
 balmybaldwin 24 Oct 2015

Normal service returned

Yes it most certainly has. 2 tries to none but the Springboks are hanging in. Another 3 points coming up and the All black scrum still struggling
Squeaky bum time for the All Blacks!
Post edited at 17:38
 Postmanpat 24 Oct 2015

Nail biter. Odd how Pollard's place kicking was spot on but his kicking out of hand was a key failing.
In reply to Postmanpat: You're right. His kicking out of hand was pants. The springboks never seriously threatened the all black try line but another penalty at the end would have won it for them.
Bring on the Puma's and the convicts. I think that one will be another nail biter and I'm hoping the Puma's prevail.
 coinneach 24 Oct 2015

Tense, tense match proving that it doesn't need to be a try fest to be entertaining.

All Blacks doing what they do best to see the game out.

Who ever they play next week will need a dry pitch and ball to win.
 Horse 24 Oct 2015
In reply to coinneach:

And more imagination than the Boks.
 Roddytoo 24 Oct 2015

Very glad the Blacks won: they scored tries. I detest teams winning on penalties. It is time that penalties were downgraded, scrum instead or tap kick, not the full blown 3 points. Alternatively make a pen 2 points.
 Roadrunner5 24 Oct 2015
In reply to Roddytoo:

> Very glad the Blacks won: they scored tries. I detest teams winning on penalties. It is time that penalties were downgraded, scrum instead or tap kick, not the full blown 3 points. Alternatively make a pen 2 points.

Sort of agree but one of the appeals of Union is the tactical element that is largely missing in league.

I used to really enjoy it when we won whilst being the inferior team to a quicker, younger team who would murder us if we ever played with the backs. Making it a horrible game to watch, keeping it in the forwards, grinding out yards and taking the 3 points when available and just dominating possession. Some of my most memorable games were those sorts, more than the times we'd be running in tries all day.
 earlsdonwhu 24 Oct 2015
In reply to Roddytoo:

The trouble is that will just encourage more cynical offences .... Eg. even less risk by going over the top to slow down the release at rucks .

There may be some merit in changing the penalty for scrum offences where half the time the ref just guesses who is to blame.
 Cardi 25 Oct 2015
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

I agree - The scrum is a contest to win posession - not penalties. I propose that all but the most cynical or dangerous scrum offences (e.g. collapsing deliberately) should be awarded a free kick, which is the equivalent of winning clean ball at a scrum, with the defence 10m back.

Also, get tough on teams going off their feet, sealing off or going in the side at the breakdown, to encourage the game to flow more.
 earlsdonwhu 25 Oct 2015
In reply to Cardi:
I am still wondering why crooked feeds are ignored. They are blatant but crooked throws at lineouts are penalized. No consistency.
Gone for good 25 Oct 2015
C'mon the Argies!
 Horse 25 Oct 2015

Viva Los Pumas!
In reply to Horse:

Silly buggers!
 coinneach 25 Oct 2015
In reply to Horse:

Smashin' game.

NZ v Aus final looking likely and of course if Australia win then Scotland will rightly be crowned world champions by default!
In reply to coinneach:

Well the Puma's are still in it. Poor decision making cost them in the first 10 minutes otherwise it would be a lot closer on the scoreboard.
 coinneach 25 Oct 2015

Not any more.
In reply to coinneach:

Aye. 4 tries to none says it all really.
In reply to coinneach:

Great scenes at the end of the game. Hoopers face said it all ..'thank god thats over'
 coinneach 25 Oct 2015

Yep.

I've been impressed by Australia, especially when they were in a dark place last year.

Cheika has to be coach of the tournament and to be honest, they're the only team in the world who'll have a chance of winning next Saturday.
 coinneach 25 Oct 2015
Other than New Zealand, obviously.
Post edited at 18:31
 Horse 25 Oct 2015
In reply to coinneach:

I think Hansen got his wish today, they beat each other almost to a standstill. Hard to see beyond black next Saturday.
 Yanis Nayu 25 Oct 2015
In reply to Horse:

Really enjoyed that game. Can't wait for the final.
 Roadrunner5 25 Oct 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Really enjoyed that game. Can't wait for the final.

Really hard to see beyond the all blacks. Australia have done well just to get there.

It's great that other nations are making ago of it. Argentina need to be included in either the 6 or Tri nations, don't most of their team play in the NH?

FactorXXX 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

It's great that other nations are making ago of it. Argentina need to be included in either the 6 or Tri nations, don't most of their team play in the NH?

You're either trying to deliberately wind people up, or just totally ignorant...

Roadrunner5 26 Oct 2015
In reply to FactorXXX:

just looked, thats changed.

So they should enter a major series..
 Roadrunner5 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> just looked, thats changed.

> So they should enter a major series..

Interesting why people dislike that post?

Explain why they shouldnt?

At the moment the SH big 3 dominate, why would anyone oppose Argentina being invited in?
 Yanis Nayu 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

I don't know - I think from watching the pre-game discussion yesterday Argentina are already part of a SH competition, so maybe your post is incorrect and people have drawn attention to it through disliking it. A rather pointless exercise if that is the case. I dislike the dislike button.
 Postmanpat 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:
> Interesting why people dislike that post?

> Explain why they shouldnt?

> At the moment the SH big 3 dominate, why would anyone oppose Argentina being invited in?

Argentina have been playing in the SH competition for 4 years and the UK media have (rightly) cited that as a major reason why they have improved so much and play a much more ambitious and expansive style of rugby than in the past.

The irony, of course, is that they initially applied to join the six nations and were turned down without even a hearing.
Post edited at 19:24
 FactorXXX 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

At the moment the SH big 3 dominate, why would anyone oppose Argentina being invited in?

They have.
The Tri-Nations is now 'The Rugby Championship' - Argentina, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.
Additionally, they will be entering a club team in the 'Super Rugby' competition - club teams from the above countries, plus one from Japan.
The Argentine club team is mostly comprised of International players, so, it should be interesting/frightening to see what happens in the next few seasons...
 coinneach 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Aye good point.

You should lobby the 5 nations committee too and tell them to invite Italy.
Gone for good 26 Oct 2015
In reply to coinneach:

> Aye good point.

> You should lobby the 5 nations committee too and tell them to invite Italy.

Or at least ask them to tell England to submit a team that might actually win the damned thing!
Oh and whilst you're at it ask them to tell Scotland to stop winning the wooden spoon!!
 coinneach 26 Oct 2015

You're missing the point here Wanderer.

Ask Italy to join and not only will England have another easy victory every year but there will be a perpetual wooden spoon recipient who does not feast on haggis!

Win Win
Gone for good 26 Oct 2015
In reply to coinneach:

> You're missing the point here Wanderer.

> Ask Italy to join and not only will England have another easy victory every year but there will be a perpetual wooden spoon recipient who does not feast on haggis!

> Win Win

More like win lose win lose win lose!
 Horse 26 Oct 2015
In reply to coinneach:

Wait till Georgia join the party, you can have a 3 way mini league.
 coinneach 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Horse:

Great idea

Georgia
Italy
England
 Horse 26 Oct 2015
In reply to coinneach:

I assume France have already been relegated.

There is a serious point though, the duffers who run the 6N really ought be looking at how to expand the competition. Take Los Pumas as a the example, what would Georgia be like in 4 years time with regular games against the Euro Tier 1 teams. Pretty good I would have thought.
 coinneach 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Horse:
Yep

I remember you and me banging our gums on here about Argentina being added to the Tri nations.

Nice that they pay attention to UKC

We need a 6 nations 2nd division with promotion and relegation if the game is to grow, globally.
Post edited at 22:03
 coinneach 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Horse:

And

The same in the Southern Hemisphere for Fiji, Samoa, Japan, Tonga etc.

And yes , strictly speaking, Japan are Northern but . . . ,
 FactorXXX 26 Oct 2015

Or at least ask them to tell England to submit a team that might actually win the damned thing!

Clive Woodward had a few thoughts on that and other issues: -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/34626991
 Roadrunner5 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

> Argentina have been playing in the SH competition for 4 years and the UK media have (rightly) cited that as a major reason why they have improved so much and play a much more ambitious and expansive style of rugby than in the past.

> The irony, of course, is that they initially applied to join the six nations and were turned down without even a hearing.

Wow I didnt know that, the last 2-3 years have been spent in non-rugby countries so my current knowledge is obviously pretty woeful. Good to see that it happened. When I was in NZ it was scary how competitive that and the super 15 was.

I've been trying to watch some of this here and its pretty much impossible, they showed the weekends games after the soccer but I already knew the scores so didnt bother.

Horse 26 Oct 2015
In reply to coinneach:

The power of UKC.

Did you hear Sir Bonkers before the game yesterday?, Apparently the 5 seconds discussion the 6N had with Argentina was, in his experience, a conference.

Maybe not 2 divisions, maybe two groups with some play offs on the last weekend.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...