UKC

Drone at the Roaches today

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alx 25 Oct 2015
I was,wondering what others thought of the use of drones in and around the parks. Today at the Roaches there was one flying around, the level of noise and its general annoying nature took me by suprise. You couldn't hear yourself think whilst this thing buzzed around.

In hindsight I should had said something, I don't tolerate music being played at the crags as others maybe out for a quiet stroll so why should we tolerate this kind of intrusion.

wintertree 25 Oct 2015
In reply to alx:

If, at any point, the drone was within 50m of anyone other than the pilot you shoudn't have to tolerate it. See Space Core Directive 167-2-c, as linked below.

https://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1995&pageid=16012

Sadly it doesn't give you explicit permission to remove any offending aircraft from your immediate vicinity...
 Andy Morley 25 Oct 2015
In reply to wintertree:

Isn't this kind exactly the kind of thing that catapults were invented for?
 mark s 25 Oct 2015
In reply to Andy Morley:

every bloke over 30 must have experience of a black widow catapult. maybe worth investing in 7 quid for a new one
 mark s 25 Oct 2015
In reply to alx:

i can see these getting more popular at crags and them causing a lot of hassle between climbers.
i cant imagine a single person who would be happy having someone who they didnt know using one near to them.
 Dave the Rave 25 Oct 2015
In reply to Andy Morley:

> Isn't this kind exactly the kind of thing that catapults were invented for?

Kinell! Kinell! I was going to post that I would have black widowed it, but you've done it! Kinell! That's freaked me!
 fullastern 25 Oct 2015
In reply to alx:

yes, annoying
 The Lemming 25 Oct 2015
In reply to alx:

Good job you can't make them out of paper planes. Then we'd all be fooked.
http://fpv.poweruptoys.com/?#
Removed User 25 Oct 2015
In reply to mark s:

Why does it matter if the person is someone you know or not?
 radddogg 25 Oct 2015
In reply to alx:

Don't climb at the M6 of climbing crags if you don't want traffic
 jonnie3430 26 Oct 2015
In reply to alx:

> I don't tolerate music being played at the crags as others maybe out for a quiet stroll.

Let others complain about music if they care that much, you should tolerate people enjoying themselves more.

radddogg 26 Oct 2015
In reply to alx:

Stop droning on about it
 jkarran 26 Oct 2015
In reply to alx:

> why should we tolerate this kind of intrusion.

Because it doesn't last long, really isn't that bad, someone is enjoying themselves and other people tolerate our jangly, shouty, 100+ parked cars clogging the road intrusion on their quiet day out?

jk
 graeme jackson 26 Oct 2015
In reply to jkarran:

> someone is enjoying themselves

No they aren't. They're enjoying buzzing their toy helicopter around other people. As an analogy, try riding your skateboard in and out of a crowd of people and see how soon it is before the authorities ban skateboarding from the square.
 lone 26 Oct 2015
In reply to alx:
I'm waiting in anticipation for the "hit it with a size 6 Hex" post ...

Post edited at 09:25
 jonnie3430 26 Oct 2015
In reply to jonnie3430:

> Let others complain about music if they care that much, you should tolerate people enjoying themselves more.

11 dislikes!?! You miserable music hating gits. For every one offended by music there are a few more inspired by it! To not even be offended by music, just worried that some one walking past maybe, like the op, is the pits, and they should stay at home.
 ByEek 26 Oct 2015
In reply to jonnie3430:

> 11 dislikes!?! You miserable music hating gits. For every one offended by music there are a few more inspired by it! To not even be offended by music, just worried that some one walking past maybe, like the op, is the pits, and they should stay at home.

Isn't there a time and a place though? If you want to listen to music, put on some headphones and be inspired. Or go to a night club... or your home and listen to it. But in the peaceful quiet countryside where people are there to enjoy and be inspired by the peace and quiet... Maybe you should respect them?
 jonnie3430 26 Oct 2015
In reply to ByEek:

You don't go to the roaches if you are looking for a peaceful and quiet crag so you can enjoy the solitude and loneliness of the countryside, do you?
 ByEek 26 Oct 2015
In reply to jonnie3430:

Neither do you go there to have someone inflict their personal taste of music on you. And I disagree - I have had some very quiet and solitude times at the Roaches. It is all about picking your moment.
 The Lemming 26 Oct 2015
In reply to jonnie3430:

> You don't go to the roaches if you are looking for a peaceful and quiet crag so you can enjoy the solitude and loneliness of the countryside, do you?

Yes, I do.

jonnie3430 26 Oct 2015
In reply to ByEek:

> It is all about picking your moment.

Sunday on a dry day?

What if their music taste was similar to yours, and you made new friends? What if nobody came along for the entire day and didn't hear, let alone dislike your taste in music? How many climbing films have no music? A little tolerance goes a long way.

ByEek 26 Oct 2015
In reply to jonnie3430:

Ha - don't talk to me about climbing films and music - at least not the home made variety. Why anyone thinks that juxtaposing their favourite track against a video of someone climbing to make for good watching is beyond me.

Why can't you just wear headphones? You get your music. Everyone else doesn't. Everyone is happy. Why is that such a big deal?
Andy Gamisou 26 Oct 2015
In reply to jonnie3430:

> Sunday on a dry day?

> What if their music taste was similar to yours, and you made new friends? What if nobody came along for the entire day and didn't hear, let alone dislike your taste in music? How many climbing films have no music? A little tolerance goes a long way.

What if there are 200 people at the crag, all with ghetto blasters, playing different stuff at full blast?

What if only one group is playing music at each popular crag? Many of these spaces are shared with other legitimate users - doesn't it occur to you at all that this might get the climbing community a bad name and jeopardise access? It's not about 'our' intolerance and all about the selfishness of you and people like you.
 Billhook 26 Oct 2015
In reply to alx:

Drones will become an ever increasing problem on crags, hills, mountains etc as more folk attempt to film their 'adventures' in the outdoors.
 AlistairB 26 Oct 2015
In reply to alx:
> I was,wondering what others thought of the use of drones in and around the parks. Today at the Roaches there was one flying around, the level of noise and its general annoying nature took me by suprise. You couldn't hear yourself think whilst this thing buzzed around.

I was repeatedly buzzed by one bouldering at Almscliff 2 weeks ago. They really do spoil the atmosphere (roadside honeypot crag or not). In this case the pilot was a complete chump who followed climbers for minutes at a time whilst stood well out of contact on top of high man. I find the noise pretty objectionable in its own right but it's inconsiderate operation of them that seems to me to be the biggest problem.

I wouldn't mind so much people using them sparingly to film specific shots of themselves / their group but following people you've never spoken to with something so intrusive seems incredibly rude.

Also witnessed one at Goredale on a busy summer day, at least the guy wasn't stupid enough to try and fly it inside the gorge so it didn't really intrude on the climbing.

I'm aware that what I described breaches the CAA rules but I honestly can't see how they would even begin to enforce them for all but the most flagrant breaches (the football match / nuclear sub people for example).
Post edited at 17:43
 jonnie3430 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Willi Crater:

> the selfishness of you and people like you.

Dirty name caller, I didn't say I did it, just that I am likely to be tolerant of those that do.
In reply to mark s:
Yep, I had one. The only thing I could hit was my frigging knuckles.
Post edited at 18:25
Andy Gamisou 26 Oct 2015
In reply to jonnie3430:

> Dirty name caller, I didn't say I did it, just that I am likely to be tolerant of those that do.

Not really name calling, more a statement of fact. Now if I referred to you as a "miserable selfish git" - then that would be name calling. Refer to your post of 13:09 for an example. Not interested in a slanging match with you, so feel free to have the last word.
 jonnie3430 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Willi Crater:

> Not really name calling, more a statement of fact.

Obviously not a lawyer.

> So feel free to have the last word.

Thanks, a bit more tolerance, especially from people that should know better would make the world a nicer place to live.

In reply to jonnie3430:

Tolerance means respecting other people. The natural state of things is not to have your music blaring out.

Keep it that way, or have everyone think you're an arrogant, self absorbed cock.
 wiwwim 26 Oct 2015
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

what's the best ammo in this case? ball of string?
 Timmd 26 Oct 2015
In reply to jonnie3430:

> Sunday on a dry day?

> What if their music taste was similar to yours, and you made new friends? What if nobody came along for the entire day and didn't hear, let alone dislike your taste in music? How many climbing films have no music? A little tolerance goes a long way.

What have climbing films got to do with anything?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...