UKC

In defence of drones

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greenbanks 26 Oct 2015
Several threads on UKC about the negative impact of drones - which I quite understand. However, I use mine strictly for gaining beta (though only on harder pitches); they really are handy for a quick view of the route ahead. Lightweight and portable. Give it a go.
 neuromancer 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

It seems a little counter-intuitive, but bear with me here; ab into it, try the moves and save yourself £400?
 ScottTalbot 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

I don't have any issue with drones. I think they are a handy tool, from a photo/videographic perspective. Have to agree with neuromancer here though...
 Trangia 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

Doesn't that rather negate the sense of exploration, discovery and adventure when attempting a route for the first time? That's a comment rather than a criticism
 jkarran 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

> However, I use mine strictly for gaining beta (though only on harder pitches); they really are handy for a quick view of the route ahead.

Seriously?
 TMM 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

You're just using them for climbing?

Looks like they are fairly decent for fishing, well trolling at least...
 graeme jackson 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

I'll give you a 7.5 /10. Nice try.
 stp 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

Love it. Your code of ethics is a fine example to us all.
KevinD 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

> Lightweight and portable.

I prefer a more heavy duty one. That way if I get tired it can give an assist.

Simon4 26 Oct 2015
In reply to KevinD:

> I prefer a more heavy duty one.

I think I will get one of the more interesting kinds, the ones armed with Hellfire missiles. Then I can shoot down anyone else's drones that annoy me, also they will be useful for hunting down and exterminating trolls, whichever bridge they hide under.

KevinD 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Simon4:

> I think I will get one of the more interesting kinds, the ones armed with Hellfire missiles.

Those ones are an arse to find a place to land and store though. small airfields start whining about risks. Its H&S gone mad.

Simon4 26 Oct 2015
In reply to KevinD:
> Those ones are an arse to find a place to land and store though.

I will just have to invade an under-developed Central Asian country with a corrupt and authoritarian government then, and offer the rulers suitable incentives.

Might be a bit of a problem getting drones with a long enough range to fly to Stanage though.
Post edited at 10:38
 climbwhenready 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

Can you get ones that preplace gear?
Parrys_apprentice 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Simon4:

Hellfires aren't air-to-air missiles.
 Simon4 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Parrys_apprentice:
My drone will use ECM to bring down anyone elses. Also will have speakers attached and intelligent software to provide a sneering commentary and "helpful" advice to anyone struggling on a route I can get up easily. Which will however be disconcertingly few people.
Post edited at 10:51
KevinD 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Simon4:

> Which will however be disconcertingly few people.

On the plus side you could use the hellfires to add a few new holds to the routes.
On the downside it would be a rather hit and miss approach. However unlikely to get many complaints about you chipping holds due to the method used
 Simon4 26 Oct 2015
In reply to KevinD:

> unlikely to get many complaints about you chipping holds due to the method used

Until you run out of missiles that is. Then they will all pounce.
OP Greenbanks 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

Last used to 'inspect' Glaciated Slab (Borrowdale): it had been pouring down 10 days ago just before I was up there, so I wanted to be sure I'd be OK getting up it as it was still teeming with wet. Better safe than sorry. I'm thinking it could well catch on.
 wercat 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:
Is there any danger in winter of not just having to wait for a rope to clear a pitch but also for various "drone inspections" to be carried out of conditions on the pitch before starting?

How long before it is actually considered contributary negligence not to send an electronic recce up first?

Would have to be balanced against the risk of causing or suffering hypothermia while the data are gathered prior to setting off, subject to a favourable report and risk assessment and then ticking the various boxes ...
Post edited at 17:51
 wercat 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

not denying, however, that it could be useful in circumstances where there is zero impact on other people.
In reply to wercat:

Yes, I feel sure that FRCC, CC, SMC (even RockFax) will soon be included WDI* alongside their published guidebook grades

* With Drone Inspection
 Wsdconst 26 Oct 2015
In reply to climbwhenready:

> Can you get ones that preplace gear?

If you can I'm getting one
In reply to Greenbanks:

Anyway, that's my troll-virginity gone...as several noted early on and most added humour to the proceedings.

In reply to Greenbanks:

I say ban all drones.

In fact, let's go the whole hog and ban bagpipes entirely...
 johncook 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Greenbanks: You could always get yourself a long carbon fibre fishing rod, put camera on that and get the beta from as close as you like, without the noise the chance of crashing your toy, and the certainty of annoying other people!
Simple. Easy. Cheap. Silent. Respectful.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...