UKC

Haka

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 26 Oct 2015
As well as occasionally watching a rugby match I always enjoy watching the All Blacks perform the Haka. I sometimes wish I could perform it - I did manage the first two moves last night.

Can anyone on UKC do it?(the Haka I mean)
 Yanis Nayu 26 Oct 2015
In reply to FesteringSore:

Mrs Num Num can do the war face.
 krikoman 26 Oct 2015

Here's a translation of what is actually being said youtube.com/watch?v=kThpFWYU7WM&
Moley 26 Oct 2015

I think there are quite a few different ones, they evolve, once you've learnt it they will have moved on to another and you will be out of step. So don't try it down the pub next Saturday!
Fidman 26 Oct 2015

there is really moving tribute to a teacher in New Zealand on You tube, where the whole school does the Haka when his hearse arrives at the school, worth looking for

Must be one of the greatest sights in world sport.

A few years ago New Zealand wanted to drop it and the rest of the rugby nations demanded that they carry on, it would scare the s**t out of me.
OP FesteringSore 26 Oct 2015
In reply to Fidman:

> there is really moving tribute to a teacher in New Zealand on You tube, where the whole school does the Haka when his hearse arrives at the school, worth looking for

> Must be one of the greatest sights in world sport.

youtube.com/watch?v=15H8YdoH_zU&

Very moving.
 Derry 28 Oct 2015

> A few years ago New Zealand wanted to drop it and the rest of the rugby nations demanded that they carry on

I think this was the other way around. Such as when Wales wouldn't allow the AB's to perform it so they did it in the changing rooms instead. Plenty of calls from other nations saying it gives them an unfair advantage, it's outdated etc. but as a kiwi, and the haka being a symbol of national pride, no one would ever want to see it dropped.
Pan Ron 28 Oct 2015
When I was at school we did a tour of the UK and performed the haka before each match. We wheeled it out in the army a bit too and most kiwis could probably do a passing impression though its not exactly taught in school. Plus the ABs now do several different versions, not sticking with the familiar "Kamate Kamate".

Before a big international rugby matches its fantastic to see (as are the other Pacific Island challenges).

But there seem to be a growing number of instances where it gets performed as a willy-waving exercise, little more sophisticated than football chanting. Learning a haka is about more than being taught a repetoire of vocal thigh slapping and throat slitting actions. You put your heart and soul in to it, you "show respect" for its history and you adopt a mindset; stances, puffing cheeks, posturing, waving tongues and wild eyes are absolutely central to it all. It's something to be performed seriously and takes itself seriously. Unfortunately, something that takes itself this seriously looks more than a little ridiculous when performed at bars and pubs, the local hair dressers and in the street for no apparent reason other than to draw attention to a bit of nationalism.
Post edited at 13:30
Pan Ron 28 Oct 2015
In reply to Derry:

Its become such a symbolic part of the ABs, I suspect if they were ever required to ditch the haka before a game, the following 80 minutes would be spent trying to make a point - record levels of blood and broken bones most likely.

I don't see how it gives anyone an advantage and all the discussion about getting rid of it seemed more political to try and unsettle the team. Counter-productive by those who attempted to do so.
 Derry 28 Oct 2015

> I don't see how it gives anyone an advantage

I remember it being claimed that it got them more 'psyched up' whilst the other team had to merely stand there and take it. But then you would see teams advance and get face to face with the AB's or sometimes (I think it was the Aussies) just stayed in a circle and didn't even look at them. *they got properly thumped from memory.

>and all the discussion about getting rid of it seemed more political to try and unsettle the team. Counter-productive by those who attempted to do so.

Agreed!
 Timmd 28 Oct 2015
In reply to Derry:
I found it interesting to see a clip on youtube where the AB all crouched down at one point, and the Welsh players all shuffled their legs in what seemed like an involuntary and slightly nervous response.

Post edited at 15:00

Watch this one for some quality uncoordinated dad dancing

youtube.com/watch?v=emJyEa4z2Ec&
Wiley Coyote2 28 Oct 2015
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

> Watch this one for some quality uncoordinated dad dancing

Bit of air guitar in there too by the look of it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...