UKC

Call Centres and Technology

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 28 Oct 2015

My dear old dad(bless him) recently had BT Youview installed. Unforttunately, for some reason or other, the sound on his tv is not now what it used to be before the Youview installation.

Dad is a fairly independent chap and he got on to BT in an effort to resolve the problem. Unfortunately the person who spoke to him had a very thick foreign accent which he had trouble in understanding and, when she started telling him to switch this off, disconnect that and do this, that and the other his inability to grapple with modern technology and jargon got the better of him. He's fairly computer literate but, like a lot in his age group(70s) there's a limit to how much he can take on board. Add to that the aforementioned foreign accent and he got nowhere.

I just wish there was a way that these big companies would understand that there are some folk who cannot easily cope with call centres staffed by foreigners rapidly churning out jargon which means little to them. (That does not necessarily mean they're stupid)

Rant over.
Post edited at 11:24
 The New NickB 28 Oct 2015
In reply to FesteringSore:

There you go!

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/sep/18/bt-promises-to-bring-call-cent...

Now you can complain about not understanding the people picking up the phone in Newcastle or Cardiff.
OP FesteringSore 28 Oct 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

Apparently he made contact with BT through its "Chat" facility and the operator called him back after he had explained the problem on "Chat".

I wonder if it is possible to ask to speak to somebody at a UK call centre.
 LastBoyScout 28 Oct 2015
In reply to FesteringSore:

Complete aside from your rant about the volume, but we have a BT YouView box.

There is a volume setting on the YouView handset - this controls the output volume to the TV, which is in turn controlled by the TV volume controls - this might be the root of the problem.

The YouView box has a strange scale on volume, so we tend to leave it set to maximum and then control the overall volume using the TV control - that might sort your Dad out.
OP FesteringSore 28 Oct 2015
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Thanks, I get him to try that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...