UKC

Garmin 225 question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
rob sykes 28 Oct 2015
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a Garmin 225. I've noticed that on occasions, it looks like thw watch has only started recording my route part way through my run but it still records the entire route length

To put into context, I've used Strava on my i phone and i know that my lunchtime run is 7km.

I use my 225 and then download my route to Connect. Looking at the route map on the Connect app on my phone, it appears that my run begins sometime after 1 or 2km. The green pin (which I assume marks the start point) is some way from my actual start point. Given that it's a circular route surely the green pin and the red pin should be pretty much on top of one another?

Despite this, it does accurately record the length of my run - 7km. If the Garmin only begins recording part way round - as it seems to have done judging from the pins - then surely it should record a shorter route? It doesn't - it records the correct route length.

My guess is that I need to allow the watch to acquire GPS signal properly before I run and that it's only acquiring a signal part way round. But that still doesn't explain the fact that it records the correct route length.

All and any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers

Rob
 SouthernSteve 28 Oct 2015
In reply to rob sykes:

I think that you are right, if you are a bit keen and set off the pace data is a flat line, until it acquires which is a bit of a pain. If you unlock the watch, the screen changes from RUN or whatever you have chosen to screen 1 and the little symbol stops blinking at the top when you have acquired – at least on my now 'old' 620. I am guessing it knows roughly where it has gone and then back tracks when a signal is found.
 DancingOnRock 28 Oct 2015
In reply to rob sykes:

The garmins have accelerometers in them and use them when there is no GPS signal.

They're extremely accurate.
 Ridge 28 Oct 2015
In reply to DancingOnRock:

I'm not sure but I seem to recall they can also calculate distance covered based on historic cadence/distance information from previous runs when GPS is lost.

To the OP: if you don't wait for a GPS lock before starting you can't expect the poor little Garmin to work out where you started from!
 steelbru 28 Oct 2015
In reply to rob sykes:

I've had the red and green pointers initially show wrong, but when I drill down it all looks ok, and then looks ok on the summary screen when I come back up to it.
From the summary screen with the small map, if you click the map it opens it up full screen and shows all the lap positions ( assuming you have auto-lap on ? ). Does it show the first mile ( or km ) as a lap on the map.
You can also get the lap split details from the summary screen.
 DancingOnRock 29 Oct 2015
In reply to Ridge:

> I'm not sure but I seem to recall they can also calculate distance covered based on historic cadence/distance information from previous runs when GPS is lost.

> To the OP: if you don't wait for a GPS lock before starting you can't expect the poor little Garmin to work out where you started from!

You can calibrate them but I've found mine just works out of the box.

The idea is if you lose GPS in woods, built up area or tunnel, they switch to the accelerometers.

If you look at the run in Garmin Connect you'll see all the step data for the first part of the run.

All clever stuff.
rob sykes 29 Oct 2015
In reply to rob sykes:

thanks to you all for your replies and your advice. this is my first running watch so i'm still getting used to its workings!!

cheers

rob
 DancingOnRock 29 Oct 2015
In reply to rob sykes:
If you have an iPhone I recommend getting the Garmin Connect app and uploading via Bluetooth. You can set up Garmin connect to push to Strava.

The Strava app won't show 'laps', just miles or km, so if you do any interval training it's not great. But the Garmin connect app does. I tend to switch between the two using the social side of Strava.
Post edited at 11:01
 Ridge 30 Oct 2015

Garmin Connect is also available on Android
 DancingOnRock 30 Oct 2015
In reply to Ridge:
Cool.

It wasn't when I last looked and the Bluetooth wasn't compatible either. Although it's only from the 4S iPhones onwards that the Bluetooth will work with.
Post edited at 07:59
 Ridge 30 Oct 2015

> Cool.

> It wasn't when I last looked and the Bluetooth wasn't compatible either. Although it's only from the 4S iPhones onwards that the Bluetooth will work with.

Garmins use Bluetooth LE. Earlier phones, be they Iphone or android are on an older version. Most phones have been using Bluetooth LE for the last couple of years, (it was the only reason I updated my beloved Samsung S2 to naff Sony Xperia).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...