UKC

In praise of trees

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greenbanks 30 Oct 2015
Lovely time of year...trees in stunning colours. Makes me realise just how fortunate we are to have such a range and how few times I appreciate them. Silver birch eh?
 BusyLizzie 30 Oct 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

Every autumn I think: wow, what a great autumn we are having, aren't the trees lovely this year.

Indeed, thus year seems especially good.
 MrJared 30 Oct 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

Plus that oxygen thing they do is wonderful
OP Greenbanks 30 Oct 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I suppose what I'm thinking especially of is what trees bring to our sport - is there a better sight than a Borrowdale autumn viewed from the Belvedere?
 deepsoup 30 Oct 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:
I struggle to appreciate this time of year - tend to find the increasing hours of darkness reflected in my own internal gloom, especially after the clocks change. But you're not wrong, the colours of the leaves are lovely when you can see 'em.
 Shapeshifter 30 Oct 2015
In reply to MrJared:

And that Carbon capture thing - dead handy really
OP Greenbanks 30 Oct 2015
In reply to deepsoup:

Yes, I see that. Maybe its also linked to the declining opportunity for outdoor action on the rock - and that this time of year is still a way away from anything doable on the white stuff. Some of my most enjoyable times, though, have been had when the days are short & the sun has shone - one such was doing a few Tremadoc routes a couple of years ago round this time of year, and, as the sun dipped I really appreciated the duvet of burnished leaves below me. I saw it as a late-season bonus too, quite unexpected.
 BusyLizzie 01 Nov 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

> I suppose what I'm thinking especially of is what trees bring to our sport - is there a better sight than a Borrowdale autumn viewed from the Belvedere?

I haven't been there ... but I have had lovely days of climbing amidst autumn leaves, like yesterday at Fairy Cave Quarry. I recall a couple of years ago one very crisp cold autumn day at Symonds Yat, all golden beech trees and fluffy white mist in the valley.
 LeeWood 01 Nov 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

More colourful, longer lasting, cheaper and cleaner - than a firework show.
OP Greenbanks 01 Nov 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

Is my memory playing tricks, or was there not some very small, ancient, wizened tree very near the finish of Cenotaph Corner (just on the Right Wall side) - that we abseiled off as a descent route when you did either the Gates or the Corner? I'm talking about 45 years ago. Maybe it's still there, but I don't think so, because i don't recollect it in the mid-80s when I did more routes there.
 veteye 01 Nov 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

It's possibly even better from the "a cheval" belay before the last pitch of Little Chamonix
(>is there a better sight than a Borrowdale autumn viewed from the Belvedere?)

dagibbs 02 Nov 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

Make bomber belays, too.
 nniff 02 Nov 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

No 1 son came out with something that made me think recently. He said cows made him happy. He's a vet, so it's not that odd. He explained that a field is just a field, but a field with a cow in it is a happier place. I agreed he had a point and decided that, for me, a field with a tree in it is a happier place.

You know - a meadow, a bit of dew, mist and sunlight, and an oak tree.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...