UKC

iCloud Keychain - do I need it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ridge 30 Oct 2015
The iPad is currently threatening me with the cruel and unusual punishment of deleting my iCloud Keychain unless I obey the ghost of Steve Jobs and install the latest iOS update. The last time I did that it screwed up the browser and a very useful app, and as far as I can tell the latest update does nowt but add a load of stuff that only an eight year old would be excited about. TBH they can stick their update, (as can Android and Microsoft for that matter, as they all seem to be designed to make your device run ever more clunkily).

As I have just the one iThingy will this affect me at all, or will it interfere with the iCloud backup of my photos? Apple don't do the dire security warning things as they don't admit to anything, so does anyone know if there's any benefit to installing iOS 9.1 on an iPad Air? (I can live without another 150 emojis, thank you very much).

Grumpy Luddite of Cumbria
 pneame 30 Oct 2015
In reply to Ridge:

I resisted updating my iPad until last Monday - there hadn't been any dire threats regarding iCloud keychain. There are some notices about "a new device" which I like, it suggests that the device ecosystem isn't the horror show of security risks that one would intuitively think it to be.
This should help:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204085

Do I find it useful? I'm not sure - I only use my iPad for reading, Google Earth and looking things up on Wikipedia and occasional email. I mostly use a laptop for heavy lifting as I don't find tablets that useful (although, as an experiment, I used on for r a 2-day review meeting about 5 years ago where I was doing a fair bit of typing and it seemed OK-ish. But I digress...

The cloud backed up photos are presumably attached to a yourname@mac, me, whatever.com account? So you can check these on a browser [which I just did and it promptly emailed me a notification that my iCloud account had been accessed by a web browser. Which, as I say, I like]

Cog 30 Oct 2015
In reply to Ridge:

If you have albums in iPhoto you might loose them if you start using their latest photos app.

I used to be able to upload from iPhoto to good old Facebook but now only seem to have the option of uploading from photos, so I've taken to dragging them to the desktop and uploading from there!
Maybe I'm missing something.
 pneame 30 Oct 2015
In reply to Cog:

No, I don't think so. Apple have morphed Aperture and iPhoto into Photos, which is a total cludge. You then have to faff around moving either one or the other into photos. My experience, anyway. Probably due to being disorganized, but the photos are still there in Apple's arcane file structure.

Someone will undoubtedly be along to tell me I should be using windows....

coinneach 30 Oct 2015
In reply to pneame:

You should be using windows
 Cog 31 Oct 2015
In reply to pneame:

I meant loose the albums that might have taken I while to organise, not the pics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...