UKC

Help Us Plan A Route!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lleida 30 Oct 2015
Dear UKC, - thanks for reading my first post!

We (husband, young child (18 month) and myself) are moving up from Gloucester to Stornoway.

We will be driving up, have plenty of time and would appreciate suggestions for interesting / beautiful stops en route.

Because of the youngster, we aren't looking to do much / any climbing (possibly a spot of bouldering if very easy access etc), but any recommendations for short walks / viewpoints / interesting (local) cultural stuff would be great.

Likewise, if anyone has any suggestions for good B & B's , with good pubs for food nearby please do shout out.

Thanks for reading, looking forward to hearing your suggestions.

Rich W Parker 31 Oct 2015
In reply to lleida:

What time of year are you talking?
 alan moore 31 Oct 2015
In reply to lleida:

Have done the Gloucester to Central Scotland part many hundreds of times.
I terms of convenience the Eden Valley and Armathwaite adds least to your journey time and is very nice
 Hyphin 31 Oct 2015
In reply to lleida:

Just keep yir heid doon an keep motoring till ye hit the border, then relax and just enjoy the rest!
OP lleida 31 Oct 2015
In reply to lleida:

@murko - fair point, fairly soon, within the next couple of weeks we hope

@alan - thank you for the suggestion - we will look into those areas - any other details you'd care to share?

@hyphin - fairplay - what do you suggest for north of the border?

Hyphin 01 Nov 2015
In reply to lleida:

Oh now I'm just going to show even more of my prejudices! Put your start and end points into Google maps, drag the route from the ferry at Ullapool, to the ferry at Uig at the north end of Skye you now have a very simple route (more or less a straight road) which takes you through a great introduction to classic West Coast scenery.
I Tend to be more into tents and boil in the bag meals, but The Drovers Inn at Inverarnan (c61/4 hrs for you without stops), the Kings House in Glencoe (c7hrs without stops). are worth considering.
The next day could be achieved in one push, depending on sailing times. but if another overnight is needed The Sligachan Hotel may be worth a look. Apparently there's also some wee place called the Three Chimneys on Skye that does passable food. Been a while but from memory, there's not much in Uig apart from the ferry terminal
Goes without saying, but if traveling in the next couple of weeks you could be driving through a kaleidoscope of the most amazing autumnal colours, you could see the mountains as some would say are their best in their "winter raiment"(we've already had some snow) or you could be driving through torrential rain in ground level mist.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...