UKC

Winter climbing courses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SenzuBean 02 Nov 2015
So I'm looking to do a winter climbing course next year, and am currently looking at either Glenmore Lodge (who I went to for ML training and enjoyed it), and Martin Moran. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these and can give some personal recommendations and what you did on the course, and anything that was awesome or perhaps not great.
The courses look fairly similar (both trying to get you to climb I/II safely and ultimately close to III), but the instructor ratio is 2:1 with Glenmore and 3:1 with MM - is the 3:1 likely to make things much harder? Anything other handy info appreciated too. Cheers
 fire_munki 02 Nov 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

I went with Martin a couple years back, had Ken Applegate as my instructor and was a great week albeit warm so little snow but that's not something anyone has control over.

Then I went to Glenmore and did a week with them, again a very good week. Bit easier journey for me to get to heading up from Plymski. Glenmore has more 'stuff' after the climbing. Had a nice sauna after a hard day.

I know I've not really helped but I guess my experience says either one will give a great fun week.
Removed User 03 Nov 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

I have done several courses with Martin Moran. A winter mountaineer, winter climber and a Cuillin week. An excellent set up, good accommodation, good food (bring your own alcohol or buy in the village). I have had a mix with either Martin himself or his guides instructing me, always top notch. An advantage is accommodation on the final night, so it is not off the mountain and into the car.
Ratios are not fixed, it depends on the number of bookings, a 3:1 max will sometimes end up 1:1. I have not seen anyone complain of not enough mountain time, although a few moans about early starts, there will be some days with an 0730 start, but not all week.
I have no experience of other course providers.
OP SenzuBean 03 Nov 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

Thanks for the replies so far guys. It does seem so far that I'll have a great time no matter where I go! I'm thinking I might not be able to arrange a trip to Torridon any time soon, so for that reason I might be better off with Martin Moran.
In reply to SenzuBean:

I've done martin's alpine introduction course and in February this year I attended his intro winter climber course. I'm going back this coming February for his intermediate climbing course. I like his style, it's very flexible and he'll adapt things to take into account the weather, conditions, team experience and goals. It will be challenging and hard work but I like that. The area on his doorstep is amazing and feels remote, we didn't come across any other climbers during our week there.
OP SenzuBean 03 Nov 2015
In reply to flying el burro:

Sounds exactly what I'm after
I sent an enquiry and received a reply, so just need to book and sort out transport (which will be the horrid part).
 BnB 04 Nov 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

You're in London aren't you? Take an hour's flight to Inverness airport, half hour bus to the city centre where you can catch the charming train to Achnashellach or Strathcarron from which I'm sure Martin will pick you up.
OP SenzuBean 04 Nov 2015
In reply to BnB:

> You're in London aren't you? Take an hour's flight to Inverness airport, half hour bus to the city centre where you can catch the charming train to Achnashellach or Strathcarron from which I'm sure Martin will pick you up.

You make it sound so easy :p
Removed User 04 Nov 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

it is, I done just that 3 times.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...