UKC

Gout : (

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andyb211 03 Nov 2015
OWWW! I used to take the mick out of one of my climbing partners but karma has got me! Any fellow sufferers with any natural or herbal remedies or ideas for prevention or treatment rather than going down the colcochine alapurinol route?
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 03 Nov 2015
In reply to andyb211:

I used to suffer quite badly but very rarely get it nowadays.

Keep hydrated, I drink a pint of water before bed - especially if I have been on the pop. And drink plenty when out on the hill.

Avoid beef, mackerel, game.

Eat cherries - fresh or dried - or drink cherry juice, I have a glass every morning.

There you go!

Chris
 FesteringSore 03 Nov 2015
In reply to andyb211:
Seriously, are you on any medication for any other ailment like blood pressure?
Post edited at 19:57
 Ridge 03 Nov 2015
In reply to andyb211:

As Mr crags said, keep hydrated. I find fresh cherries are extremely effective if I have an attack, dried or juice loss so. That keeps things pretty much under control, and I can't identify any dietary triggers in my case, must just be my blood chemistry. Rather than go on allopurinol for life I keep a stash of naproxen for the two or three bouts I get per year. A couple of tablets at the first twinge in the big toe knocks it on the head.
 Ridge 03 Nov 2015
In reply to FesteringSore:

> Seriously, are you on any medication for any other ailment like blood pressure?

Allopurinol is not a nice drug. I discussed it with my GP and we were both of the opinion it's very much the last option if you have chronic gout, otherwise leave well alone.
 Rob Exile Ward 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Ridge:
I'm on Alpurinol, what's the problems with it (yes I'm off to Google right now.)
In reply to Chris Craggs:

And keep the tuna levels down !!!
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 03 Nov 2015
In reply to Ade in Sheffield:

> And keep the tuna levels down !!!

I like my tuna (tinned and fresh) - I have it virtually daily - it doesn't seem to bother me.

Horses for courses I guess,

Chris
 Ridge 04 Nov 2015
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

I'll let you google the huge list of side effects, (although to be fair every single drug on the market has a similar horror sheet)

Main thing for me, (apart from the liver toxicity), was going on a long term regimen and the fact that coming off it can trigger very severe attacks. Fortunately my gout is manageable by other means, and I really pity anyone with it as a chronic condition, it's bloody painful. First time I had it I was convinced I'd somehow broken my toe.
 damowilk 04 Nov 2015
In reply to Ridge:

Quite the opposite, it's generally a pretty safe and well tolerated drug, much better than the 3 main treatment options. It can precipitate an attack when first started though, so best done under cover of one of the treatments.
OP andyb211 05 Nov 2015
In reply to andyb211:

Thanks for the advice chaps, prawns and tuna seem to be the culprits that are my triggers : (

Cheers Chris got a big jar of cherries! My BP is normal and not on any meds.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...