UKC

When is a car "sold"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 04 Nov 2015
On Monday I put down a £200 deposit on a used car and told the dealer that it would be up to ten days before I could pay the balance. I notice that, on the dealer's web site, it's still listed as "for sale". Surely, if a deposit has been paid, the vehicle should no longer be listed.
 faffergotgunz 04 Nov 2015
In reply to FesteringSore:

Why u pay 4 a car bruv?
MarkJH 04 Nov 2015
> On Monday I put down a £200 deposit on a used car and told the dealer that it would be up to ten days before I could pay the balance. I notice that, on the dealer's web site, it's still listed as "for sale". Surely, if a deposit has been paid, the vehicle should no longer be listed.

Legally, the car is sold when you both complete the terms of the contract. At the moment, you have entered a legally binding contract to buy the car, and they must sell it to you. You haven't bought it yet.

Under most contracts, it becomes your property when you have paid the money and they transfer ownership. They could, if they wanted, sell it to someone else in the meantime, but would have to compensate you for any losses from them not meeting the contract.

I personally wouldn't care too much if the car was still listed. Websites can take a while to update, and I would understand them not wanting to risk a sale if for some reason I didn't pay the balance.
Post edited at 09:49
OP FesteringSore 04 Nov 2015
In reply to MarkJH:

Yes, thanks for that. Much along my lines of thought.
In reply to faffergotgunz:

Judging by your time wasting comments here and on other threads, you seem to have a serious speech impediment. I would seek professional help if I were you.(Thankfully I'm not)
 Philip 04 Nov 2015

> On Monday I put down a £200 deposit on a used car and told the dealer that it would be up to ten days before I could pay the balance. I notice that, on the dealer's web site, it's still listed as "for sale". Surely, if a deposit has been paid, the vehicle should no longer be listed.

It's probably that they only update their site once a week, and leaving the car up there will increase visitors. When they arrive and it's sold they'll try and sell them something else.
In reply to Philip:

> It's probably that they only update their site once a week, and leaving the car up there will increase visitors. When they arrive and it's sold they'll try and sell them something else.

Yes, fair point.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...