UKC

Best tablet for kids? Aged 6+

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
0Unknown0 04 Nov 2015
What is the best tablet for kids. She is 6. All she does is play games and watch cartoons on youtube. I'd like a big screen.
mattlee 04 Nov 2015
In reply to Dominicandave:

And you posted that question on here ?

The only tablet needed is a dose of Fresh air and hills. ......is it me ?

Screens, Tablets, youtube ....really ? have a word !!!
 Tonybhoy 05 Nov 2015

In reply to Dominicandave

My two have a Hudl 2. Not expensive and reliable. They are 7 and 8 years old
Post edited at 00:43
0Unknown0 05 Nov 2015
In reply to mattlee:

Yes I posted that on here, and why did you bother posting that here? If you have no input of any value why?

A bag of fresh air and a walk up a hill might be your idea of a great xmas gift for your kids, but I hope to make my childs a little more special than that.

She is not strapped to the tablet 24/7, but she does use it for an hour each evening before bed. What is your issue with that?

Grow up.
 alan moore 05 Nov 2015

Hudl.Free from Tescos. Been going 3 years now.
And I make mine carry it up the hills as well...
 ianstevens 05 Nov 2015

> Yes I posted that on here, and why did you bother posting that here? If you have no input of any value why?

> A bag of fresh air and a walk up a hill might be your idea of a great xmas gift for your kids, but I hope to make my childs a little more special than that.

If you want to make it special, then give them an enjoyable experience (see above) rather than unecessary "stuff".

Neil Williams 05 Nov 2015
Depends what you mean by best. The best tablet on the market for almost any user is without doubt (in my view) the latest iPad. But that's probably overkill for a kid.

If you mean the best budget tablet, the Hudl indeed seems good value.
Post edited at 10:19
 ByEek 05 Nov 2015
In reply to mattlee:

> The only tablet needed is a dose of Fresh air and hills. ......is it me ?

I am in full agreement. However it gets dark at 4.30pm these days and if you have hyperactive kids like me, it is nice to have a bit of quiet time after tea.

We were given an iPad which is ok but the Tesco Hudl is brilliant for the money if they still sell them. Make sure you buy a rubber protector for that time when it will get dropped on the floor.
 Sealwife 05 Nov 2015

My kids have a Hudl to fight over (one between three of them). Got it with Tesco points last year so it cost me nothing. However, I suspect that is how every Hudl ever was purchased and consequently I think Tesco have now stopped making them.
 sebastien 05 Nov 2015
In reply to mattlee:

> And you posted that question on here ?

> Screens, Tablets, youtube ....really ? have a word !!!

Well, it appears that 's you. And me.
 sebastien 05 Nov 2015
In reply to ByEek:

> I am in full agreement. However it gets dark at 4.30pm these days and if you have hyperactive kids like me, it is nice to have a bit of quiet time after tea.

Forever wondering what is an hyperactive kid other than one who should be running, falling, jumping more. With a head torch if necessary.
> Yes I posted that on here, and why did you bother posting that here? If you have no input of any value why?

>
In support of mattlee, I for one see a lot of 'Value' in his post

Caveat on this, is if kids are not exposed to all the crap in the world these things can have a place
and can be a tool of purpose, one that is becoming more necessary in life
Post edited at 15:43
 ByEek 05 Nov 2015
In reply to sebastien:
> Forever wondering what is an hyperactive kid other than one who should be running, falling, jumping more. With a head torch if necessary.

Yep - I am all for that. But not on the sofa, the bed or under my feet. There is a time and a place for everything. And sadly outside with a torch is fine for 5 minutes until they are bored / scared / stuck / in need of a cuddle before mud is trampled through the house because they forgot to remove shoes before coming inside.
Post edited at 15:35
 Mike Stretford 05 Nov 2015
In reply to mattlee:

You might have noticed the site has forum dedicated to non-climbing topics anf they are quite popular.

So kids shouldn't play games or watch cartoons... just wholesome outdoor activities. That isn't very realistic and pretty miserable.
 Mountain Llama 05 Nov 2015

Hudl 2 should be fine.
 Dave the Rave 05 Nov 2015

> What is the best tablet for kids. She is 6. All she does is play games and watch cartoons on youtube. I'd like a big screen.

Zopiclone is a great tablet for kids that play on media a lot.
Zoro 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Dominicandave: id go with a hudl2, saying that i think they have been discontinued. Ive had a look at the new cheap amazon fire, but it looks as though you can't access the Google play store on these devices, and I've no idea if the amazon app store is up to much.

As for mattlee's helpful suggestion on the matter of taking your kids outdoors, i rekon they've got to be a halfwit to think that someone who posts on here isn't already getting their kid outdoors already!

As a family we spend a load of time in the outdoors, and a tablet stuffed full of the kids favourite books, films, music, and games makes the long journeys, and wet afternoons in the tent much more enjoyable for the kids. If adults can find technology entertaining why shouldn't a child?
Mattlee has just demonstrated this for all of us to see!

You should definitely download a coding app, for your daughter, we could do with a few more female coders out there!

wilkie14c 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Zopiclone is a great tablet for kids that play on media a lot.

I couldn t get on with the cranky interface, the Ritalin tablet was more intuitive for my kids
Gone for good 05 Nov 2015

I find sleeping tablets work well on my kids. Keeps the little buggers quiet for an hour or 2!
 Tim Davies 05 Nov 2015
In reply to Gone for good:
Not strictly a tablet but my daughter's kindle was well worth the money.

Took it wild camping a few weeks back- good for a dark evening

Not as mind numbing as minecraft.
Post edited at 22:33
0Unknown0 06 Nov 2015
In reply to ianstevens:

Jesus, what's wrong with you, can you not just answer the question rather than the parental advice. I asked about suitable tablets for a 6 year old, not advice on what past time activities to get up to. Quite the patronizing bunch some of you.
0Unknown0 06 Nov 2015
In reply to sebastien:

You don't sound like a parent and particularly not a single one.
0Unknown0 06 Nov 2015
In reply to Zoro:
Yes I agree that Mattlee, sebastian and Ian Steven sound like idiots, young clueless idiots. We were camping for the half term and as has been mentioned, it gets dark early and so one tablet between dad and daughter in the evening kind of did my head in and made my decision about what was important for xmas for her.
Post edited at 02:44
mattlee 06 Nov 2015
Goodness me, it appears I poked a wasps nest with this one.....

When I replied to your initial comment it said "All she does is play games and watch videos on you tube".....in what context is this ? it now appears you meant that this is all she does when she's on the device not "All she does". Therefore for initially misunderstanding the context of your comment I apologise.

However, this being a forum that covers many topics (as one similarly irate poster mentioned), and offers many opinions, I and many others am entitled to mine. The idea of lively debate is a sound one and I have to say that the way some of you appear to have climbed out of your prams on this one is disappointing. To add to the already aggressive language we've now got name calling as well....I expected better. I'm neither young, clueless or an idiot - nor I suspect are the other guys you singled out with your last comment. My opinions - whilst intended to be quite light-hearted ( I would have thought the tone of my initial comment would have given a clue as to this), are valid - as of course are yours. I do think that children these days spend too long staring at screens. That said, of course they should have as much fun as possible and enjoy life to the full during their massively important formative years and if video games are part of this fun then that's good - just don't let them waste this time "playing games and watching videos on you tube".

Finally Dave, having read your profile to understand who the hell I just upset, may I wish you a speedy recovery and look forward to seeing you (At a safe distance) in the hills soon !
Post edited at 09:19
 wilkie14c 06 Nov 2015
In reply to mattlee:

I got mine a hudl 2 each last Christmas and they have been used constantly, never had to be reset and just occasionally have to be force restarted. They are tough too having had lots of dropsies.
Anything that charges with a micro USB can suffer from charging port damage though due to the 'one way up' design of the charging plug. I've replaced lots on various items. The apple lightening plug scores well here as it's an 'either way up' design.
The way to stop kids trying to force the charger in the wrong way up is to simply put a spot of tippex on the charging plug to indicate it's the right way up.
 mountainbagger 06 Nov 2015
In reply to mattlee:

How you managed to post without the use of technology is amazing. And whilst being out in the fresh air and hills, which is of course all you need.

Or that irony was intentional.

Genius, either way.
mattlee 06 Nov 2015
In reply to mountainbagger:

Thankyou...one does one's best !
 the sheep 06 Nov 2015

Another vote for Hudl/Hudl2. Mine have all got them and work perfectly for what you want. Only word of advice would be don't let them put them on or take them off charge, the port is not the most robust.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...