UKC

Tell me about Ashton under lyne (Gr Manchester)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Scarab9 06 Nov 2015
Hey folks,

hoping the collective UKC brain can give me some info.

I'm moving towards Manchester from West Yorkshire in January by the looks of it so due to cost/late night public transport/proximity to Gorton (where the mrs lives) I'm thinking of renting in Ashton Under Lyne.

Just wondered if anyone lives there or knows the area well (now...I gather it has changed quite a bit in the last few years) that can give any feedback?

Not requiring top notch, just really making sure I can part the motorbike up without placing a minefield around it etc.

thanks
Clauso 06 Nov 2015
In reply to Scarab9:

It's got an IKEA.

You'd be better off in New Mills.
 Mike Stretford 06 Nov 2015
In reply to Clauso:

Handy for the hills.
 ByEek 06 Nov 2015
In reply to Clauso:

> It's got an IKEA.

Mmmmm - meatballs!

Ashton doesn't come across as the greatest place but it now has the tram and is well placed to take advantage of the Chew Valley and Longendale for evening adventures. It isn't my bag although there are nice bits here and there. If you need to get into town fast, Staly-Vegus just up the road is better connected with frequent trains to Manch and Eastwards.
 ste_d 06 Nov 2015
In reply to ByEek:

I agree you'd be better in stalybridge
In reply to Scarab9: It depends on what's important to you. It's not the worst place in the area, but I would certainly lock your bike to the nearest lamp post. There are some nice areas there. Probably best to spend time walking around and getting a feel for the place. Whatever the case, it beats living in Gorton by miles.

Co1in H 06 Nov 2015
In reply to Scarab9:
New Mills is more pleasant than Staly but the train line is better from Staly. The New Mills line goes into Manchester Centre but you can get off at West Gorton. Both are near to the hills/crags.
I'd forget Ashton to be honest. Maybe Glossop is an alternative as the train from there also stops in West Gorton. You could also consider Broadbottom, on the same line.

Paul Evans 07 Nov 2015
In reply to Scarab9:

Another vote for Staly, but then, I do live there...

Paul
 Al Evans 07 Nov 2015
In reply to Co1in H:

Remember there are two train lines in New Mills, the Buxton line and the Hope Valley Sheffield line, I don't think Staly compares with this.
saul 07 Nov 2015
In reply to Scarab9:
Would also recommend a good look around Ashton before moving there. I was in exactly the same situation you describe and after much consideration, I went for Glossop. Personally I found Ashton to be grim, admit I may of not been everywhere but I did not get a great impression at all I often work there and am happy I decided on Longdendale.

I found Glossop nice. Other benefits are its relatively quick and low traffic heading over the snake to some of the best climbing areas in the peak. Similarly in the Hayfield direction over to Kinder 6 miles from Glossop.

Good luck!
Post edited at 11:36
mason_7 07 Nov 2015
In reply to Scarab9:

You will get robbed unless you wear nike air max shoes hahaha
 MonkeyPuzzle 07 Nov 2015
In reply to Scarab9:

You'll love it. If you've just come from Gorton.
OP Scarab9 07 Nov 2015
In reply to Scarab9:

I actually live in todmorden at the mo.
Used to live in New mills and its great, but I hit a lot of gigs in Manchester city centre so being on the metrolink line (last from town is 0048 on a weekend) is a big plus. Same issue with staly
It's a bit tricky too, I'm only likely to be there 1-2 nights a week as most of the time I'm at my girlfriends

In reply to Co1in H:

but staly has this!

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g1404161-d4136753-Reviews-St...

http://www.beerhouses.co.uk/pub/stalybridge-buffet-bar/

and you can be in Yorkshire in the blink of a eye ------------- if you can afford the cross border fair
 Co1in H 07 Nov 2015
In reply to Name Changed 34:
And those are benefits?!
 Co1in H 07 Nov 2015
In reply to Al Evans:
so due to cost/late night public transport/proximity to Gorton (where the mrs lives) I'm thinking of renting in Ashton Under Lyne.

New Mills may well have 2 lines but the reason for moving is to have good public transport and proximity to Gorton according to the post.
It's nearer and quicker to Gorton from Staly/Bbottom/Glossop than it is from New Mills and consequently the train fares will be cheaper.
I think that answers the question in the post.
In reply to Co1in H:
beer, pies, trains, Yorkshire!

and some times a girls

Edit
and you enlightened and sensible remarks

if you moving Ho you have to go and have a look,
Post edited at 20:59
 Alyson 07 Nov 2015
In reply to Scarab9:

My grandparents lived in Ashton - my granny actually living in the house she was (literally) born in until her death earlier this year. Visiting it as a child I always disliked it, but I grew up in the lakes and it was one of the few urban places I ever went to so I figured... maybe I just don't like urban places.

Visiting it as an adult I still don't like it, and I've since been to and/or lived in plenty of towns and cities I do like. I can't really think of anything to recommend it, let's put it that way.
 AlisonSmiles 07 Nov 2015
In reply to Scarab9:

I find Ashton a little terrifying, and this attitude isn't helped by the local newspaper full of, um, incidents, which just bewilder me. I have led a sheltered childhood. If you want Ikea, you get in and you get out.

I work in Clayton, and commute in on the train from New Mills to Ashburys, sometimes cycling (never, ever driving - have you seen the A6 in rush hour?). If you can go a bit further out, I would. Staly-vegas also has an interesting reputation but nothing like that of Ashton. Glossop, Hadfield, Padfield, hell, even Marple might be places to consider.

Working where I do, I also know quite a few people out in Mossley which is considered nice to live in, only hampered by public transport. Also got friends in Chadderton and Middleton which feel kind of OK to live in.
OP Scarab9 09 Nov 2015
In reply to Scarab9:

hmm, more negatives than I'd expected. Will have a think. Got a few weeks before I need to make a decision.

thanks for all the input folks.
 ByEek 09 Nov 2015
In reply to Al Evans:

> Remember there are two train lines in New Mills, the Buxton line and the Hope Valley Sheffield line, I don't think Staly compares with this.

Yes, but they don't stop anywhere near Gorton which requires a change at Piccadilly and it is a good 30 minutes on the most depressing trains in on the planet from New Mills into town. Whenever I get on that train during rush hour, I wonder why more people don't kill themselves. It is utterly sole destroying.
 Alyson 09 Nov 2015
In reply to ByEek:

> It is utterly sole destroying.

I have a pair of high heels like that
 Stig 09 Nov 2015
In reply to ByEek:

Pedantic. Ashburys is in Gorton.

I don't understand your social comment either. I don't commute the line every day (my wife does though and doesn't complain). If you get on at Picc you can always get a seat. One 'class' of people gets off by say, Brinnington, another stays on till New mills. You must be pretty misanthropic if you hate both groups!?
 AlisonSmiles 09 Nov 2015
In reply to Stig:

Hehehe. It's my regular train journey, New Mills to Ashburys and back again when I'm not cycle commuting. As I get on at the start of the line at New Mills Central (don't usually get on the train which comes from Chester), it's lovely to start with, lots of seats. People get on at Marple and Romiley, so if you're on the early train then you have to fight your way off at Ashburys. It's bloody quick, though, about 30 minutes journey time, whoosh. And pretty much on time in the morning rush hour, even if the stopping trains are not that frequent.

The evening return journey is hellish getting on at Ashburys because everyone has got on at Picc (I blame your wife). I reckon by Bredbury it's better, so sometimes I ride my bike to Bredbury and get on there. Smelly, drunk, loud people get off at Brinnington in my experience.

It is awkward for returning from town late, though. The last train is deplorably early.
kerny 09 Nov 2015
In reply to Scarab9:
Ashton -under-Lyne is fine cos I live there lol and there are good areas and bad areas just like any other town. The night life in the centre has gone but Staly Vegas centre is even worse. There are still a few good pubs and restaurants in the area and like it's been said before you are right on the foothills of the Pennines so easy access to play.
Post edited at 18:41

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...