UKC

Do you use the forum or does the forum use you?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I think the reason I've spent so much time on here is because there's so many great people on here, but there is a nasty snide side to it, it's like the idiots who hang out in the secret forum actually want this friction.
Can't we collectively make the forum a better place or have we become so addicted to reading the friction between posters that it will always be this way. Who actually controls this thing the mob or the owners?
Graeme G 06 Nov 2015
In reply to John Simpson:
Surely its the illuminati or space aliens you keep on about? How can you believe you 'own' this forum when you don't even believe you own your own free will?

F*cking nutter!
Post edited at 23:18
 rossowen 06 Nov 2015

Don't you mean the 'fiction' posters JS?
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

> Surely its they illuminati or space aliens you keep on about? How can you believe you 'own' this forum when you don't even believe you own your own free will?

> F*cking nutter!

When did I say I owned the forum, this is my point, what do you get out of this does it make you happy hiding behind a random name and putting no details up there?

KevinD 06 Nov 2015

what secret forum?
In reply to rossowen:

> Don't you mean the 'fiction' posters JS?

I don't know what you mean.
In reply to KevinD:

Moderator login with further details of troublesome posters.

In reply to rossowen:

> Don't you mean the 'fiction' posters JS?

Do you mean fiction posters as in this ones what have no profiles. I've often thought many of them work for some government department or other and are paid to insult us with a world view which is outside mainstream thinking. Either that or they're just really sad inside. What can anyone get out of insulting people on the Internet. Yeah I know I called the moderators idiots, but then they don't seem to care if we call each other idiots so who are the idiots. After all a forum is only ever as good as the posters.
 Andy Morley 07 Nov 2015

> I think the reason I've spent so much time on here is because there's so many great people on here, but there is a nasty snide side to it, it's like the idiots who hang out in the secret forum actually want this friction.

I really love UKC. It makes me just sooooooo very grateful for the real-life people who I actually climb with. Every time I get slightly p*ssed off with one of them, I just come on here and suddenly it becomes obvious that life outside is so very good. I'd like to thank all the people in this forum who have contributed to my sense of wellbeing in this way, so very many times this year

I have also met up with some nice people from here as well. From that perspective, I just accept that it's an environment with rather a high noise-to-signal ratio.
In reply to Andy Morley:

> I really love UKC. It makes me just sooooooo very grateful for the real-life people who I actually climb with. Every time I get slightly p*ssed off with one of them, I just come on here and suddenly it becomes obvious that life outside is so very good. I'd like to thank all the people in this forum who have contributed to my sense of wellbeing in this way, so very many times this year

> I have also met up with some nice people from here as well. From that perspective, I just accept that it's an environment with rather a high noise-to-signal ratio.

Hi Andy thanks a lot fella That's probably the wisest thing I've ever read on here, just stay focused on the positives and turn the noise gate up another notch.
 LeeWood 07 Nov 2015

This post reminds me of my current book 'The Botany of Desire' in which it is postulated that the exampled plants (cannabis, potatoes, apples, tulip) have exploited humans to get their own way ... rather than humans exploiting them.

It's all a matter of perspective.
In reply to LeeWood:

I see what you're saying, I'll keep a closer eye on them spuds in future.
In reply to LeeWood:

"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts."
Graeme G 07 Nov 2015

Why would I want to share my personal details with a bunch of complete strangers? After all according to you I'm likely being 'watched'......

Well anyone who needs to know, knows anyway, but the majority of us on here are normal real people, so talking to a profile like yours I could be talking to a AI bot for all I know.
Post edited at 08:27
 Fraser 07 Nov 2015

> does it make you happy hiding behind a random name and putting no details up there?

Well, how do we know you've not just made up your 'name' too? I don't have a problem with people being somewhat anonymous on line, it's just common sense. As far as some of your assertions go, forgive me for saying this, but I suspect you've had some sort of semi-traumatic event in your life and a psychological 'switch' had been flicked since then. You're perfectly within your rights to claim whatever you want, but don't expect others to have the same opinion and not to express counter claims.

I wish you well, you come across as a pleasant enough chap, but I do feel you would benefit from a break from the computer and reading on-line ramblings and speculations. I'd also seriously consider some sort of counselling or other professional assistance.

In reply to Fraser:
> Well, how do we know you've not just made up your 'name' too? I don't have a problem with people being somewhat anonymous on line, it's just common sense. As far as some of your assertions go, forgive me for saying this, but I suspect you've had some sort of semi-traumatic event in your life and a psychological 'switch' had been flicked since then. You're perfectly within your rights to claim whatever you want, but don't expect others to have the same opinion and not to express counter claims.

That would be signs of psychological problems to create a spoof profile of a normal person, yeah all time served climbers must have had a near death experience or 2, goes with the terrain.

> I wish you well, you come across as a pleasant enough chap, but I do feel you would benefit from a break from the computer and reading on-line ramblings and speculations. I'd also seriously consider some sort of counselling or other professional assistance.

I'm fine, everyone who knows me, knows I'm a bit slow, in a good way of course. If you want to book me a few free slots with a shrink go ahead, I just tell my mates what i think and they're all cool with it all.
Post edited at 08:38
 Andy Hardy 07 Nov 2015

> Who actually controls this thing the mob or the owners?

The owners.

HTH

Andy
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Yes but just take for example a hypothetical situation that the whole mob left like what happened to myspace and one day they woke up and zero bandwidth, what would they actually own?
 LeeWood 07 Nov 2015
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> The owners.

> HTH

> Andy

The advertisers
 Andy Hardy 07 Nov 2015

Some servers and happy memories. I think you may be over thinking this.
 Andy Hardy 07 Nov 2015
In reply to LeeWood:

Think of the forum as a game reserve. We are the animals to be hunted. The advertisers are the hunters, who pay the owner for shooting in his reserve. The owners create and manage the reserve, to ensure a good population of game animals for the hunters to shoot.

As with all analogies, this one has limits so don't try to extrapolate it too far.
Graeme G 07 Nov 2015

John - Sorry shouldn't have said that.....was a bit pissed when I posted.

flopsicle 07 Nov 2015
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Je suis Cecil....
 Dave Garnett 07 Nov 2015
In reply to Andy Morley:

> I really love UKC. It makes me just sooooooo very grateful for the real-life people who I actually climb with. Every time I get slightly p*ssed off with one of them, I just come on here and suddenly it becomes obvious that life outside is so very good. I'd like to thank all the people in this forum who have contributed to my sense of wellbeing in this way, so very many times this year

Right. Nothing nasty or snide about that, obviously.

> I have also met up with some nice people from here as well.

I suspect you're a much nicer person in real life too.
 Andy Morley 07 Nov 2015

> Why would I want to share my personal details with a bunch of complete strangers? After all according to you I'm likely being 'watched'......

So that we might start to take you more seriously. But then, maybe you don't seek that.
 Brass Nipples 07 Nov 2015

In what way is the forum using you?

malk 07 Nov 2015
In reply to Orgsm:

like facebook, you are the product?
 Andy Morley 07 Nov 2015
In reply to John Andrew Simpson:

> I think the reason I've spent so much time on here is because there's so many great people on here, but there is a nasty snide side to it, it's like the idiots who hang out in the secret forum actually want this friction.

Oh well, it's not secret any more - your thread seems to have encouraged them to start one of their own, to which all the ****s around here appear to be flocking:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=628149

Is that a good or a bad thing?
 olddirtydoggy 07 Nov 2015

Personally I've never had a problem on here but forums are funny communities. You can get involved with the banter and before you know it the sideswiping starts. In real life tyou wouldn't dream of saying these sorts of things to someones face.
The answers and feedback I got on here for a thread requesting info on Iceland was nothing short of amazing. Theres some really great people on here.
In reply to malk:

Product of what? Can you explain what you mean by that?
Wiley Coyote2 07 Nov 2015

> the majority of us on here are normal real people

I take it you're new in these parts.....

like this if you are an AI

Andy Morley 07 Nov 2015
In reply to Orgsm:

> Product of what? Can you explain what you mean by that?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34747560
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

> I take it you're new in these parts.....

Pretty new, I joined in 2003

> John - Sorry shouldn't have said that.....was a bit pissed when I posted.

Is no problem dude, shit happens, thanks a lot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...