UKC

Elvis vs Tom Jones

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 07 Nov 2015
Putting aside that Elvis has left the building, who is the better singer, and who has the better songs?
 Mick Ward 07 Nov 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Elvis.

Mick
 Alyson 07 Nov 2015
In reply to The Lemming:
Elvis.

Alyson
Post edited at 21:36
In reply to Alyson:
Elvis >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tom jones

And I don't even really like elvis....
Post edited at 21:37
 Wsdconst 07 Nov 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Elvis
 angry pirate 07 Nov 2015
In reply to Wsdconst:

Is this a trick question? It's like asking which is better: beef or quorn?
Admittedly too much beef might block up your colon causing excessive straining on the loo...
 The Pylon King 07 Nov 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

ELVIS

and he would never have been seen dead on a bollox show like The Voice.
OP The Lemming 07 Nov 2015
In reply to Urgles:

Yes, because he made such quality films.
 The Pylon King 07 Nov 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Well yeah but none of his films were as dire as The Voice.
 Goucho 07 Nov 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Tom.

Sorry, I realise I'm commiting heresy, and I know what an important and massively influencial figure he was, but I just don't get Elvis.

In reply to Urgles:

I wouldn't be able to say. Never seen any of them.

Indeed, has anyone..?

The voice is ok. Better than strictly/x factor or any of the other rubbish that clutters up the main channels on a Saturday night (casualty is *still* going, I mean, FFS...!).

In fact, if elvis was still alive, my guess is that the voice is *exactly* the sort of thing that he would be doing....
 FactorXXX 07 Nov 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Tom.
 climber34neil 07 Nov 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

I just read the title and thought you meant which would win in a fight!
In reply to The Lemming:

I think the amount of Elvis Impersonators sums it up. Tom Jones still has a great vocal and had a couple of belting tracks, but it's like comparing local Welsh Rugby with the whole razzmatazz of the American Super Bowl.

viva Las Vegas, and in the ghetto would do it for me. Tom had nothing to match.

nathan79 08 Nov 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Green green grass of home. Better than anything the über overrated Elvis ever did.

I always look to the wonderful Public Enemy line "Elvis was a hero to most but he never meant *£#$ to me".

Looking back I can kind of understand the hype about him back on the day, but can't understand the lasting legacy. A good gateway artist who I imagine turned many onto those artists that inspired him.
 Wsdconst 08 Nov 2015
In reply to climber34neil:

I think tom would kick elvis' ass
 Yanis Nayu 08 Nov 2015
In reply to John Andrew Simpson:

> I think the amount of Elvis Impersonators sums it up.

Lot of people can sing like Elvis; fewer can sing like Tom.
In reply to The Lemming:

. Elvis -------------- because he fry's the best chips
 3leggeddog 08 Nov 2015
In reply to nathan79:

> Green green grass of home. Better than anything the £verrated Elvis ever did.

> I always look to the wonderful Public Enemy line "Elvis was a hero to most but he never meant *£#$ to me".

> Looking back I can kind of understand the hype about him back on the day, but can't understand the lasting legacy. A good gateway artist who I imagine turned many onto those artists that inspired him.

Wasn't Elvis offered this song but recommended Tom instead?

The answer to the question is Elvis
cb294 09 Nov 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Did Elvis ever save the world from the Martians?

Also, I once saw Tom Jones live at a free open air concert at Copenhagen Tivoli, with a few crates of Carlsberg Elefant and a bunch of pretty Danish girls, so the singing didn´t really matter.

No contest!

CB
 moac 09 Nov 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

I agree with Elvis being top dog but Tom Jones was a brilliant singer in his day. If anything Tom Jones just wasn't as influential to other musicians or set the musical pace to the masses as Elvis did. Like him or not Elvis is huge in the history of rock & roll, whereas Tom Jones is just a great singer. Here's Tom in 1969 at his finest.

youtube.com/watch?v=ckabx0MtCY0&

graeme jackson 09 Nov 2015
In reply to Name Changed 34:

> . Elvis -------------- because he fry's the best chips

pedant alert - the correct answer is Tom. and I think you meant 'fries'.
 Clarence 10 Nov 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

I can't stand listening to Elvis, I was probably inoculated by an Elvis worshipping room-mate at university. I had to listen to Wooden Heart, Suspicious Minds and In The Ghetto on a constant loop until I threatened to nail his quiff to the lavatory seat. I'm no fan of Tom Jones either but at least he doesn't make me feel physically sick when I hear his voice.

Tom Jones definitely has the better voice but Elvis probably had better songs if I try to look beyond my own psychological scarring.
Removed User 10 Nov 2015
In reply to cb294:

> Did Elvis ever save the world from the Martians?

If I remember rightly it was Slim Whitman who ought to get the credit for that.
In reply to The Lemming: One of them died; the other, dyed.

T.
 sid68 12 Nov 2015
ELVIS!!!
Tom is awesome but Elvis was first!

Cooper51 13 Nov 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Love Tom singing, but Elvis is ...

youtube.com/watch?v=EBgitAk3wEk&
 Glyno 13 Nov 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

> Putting aside that Elvis has left the building, who is the better singer, and who has the better songs?

Technically, I'd say Tom Jones's voice is stronger and has more vocal range than Elvis had.
Who had the better songs is more subjective.
In reply to The Lemming:
Elvis had the incomparably better voice. It was more or less the whole secret, the magic ingredient of his success (since he was not a musician/song writer), and of course his performance. 80 per cent voice; 20 per cent performance.

I remember seeing a documentary once about Bryn Terfel, the Welsh bass-baritone, and he said he often listens to Elvis in his car because he wishes he could sing as well.

But even Elvis said that no one could sing as well as Roy Orbison, and I think I agree.
Post edited at 15:44
In reply to Glyno:

> Technically, I'd say Tom Jones's voice is stronger and has more vocal range than Elvis had.

It's a strong voice but has nothing like the range. Elvis was basically a high tenor, who could also sing bass. Extraordinary.

deepsoup 13 Nov 2015
In reply to little black dog:

That was unexpectedly ace. But I prefer my Elvis a bit more Elvisless myself: youtube.com/watch?v=5Jd9AmepgdM&
Ysgo 13 Nov 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Chalk and cheese

A better comparison would be Tom Jones and Michael Jackson. One's white but thinks he's black, the other's black but wants to be white!

Mike Stretford 13 Nov 2015
In reply to The Lemming: Depends what lights your candle, but for me there's no contest, it's Elvis. I think Tom Jones is the worlds best 'cruise ship crooner', while Elvis was Rock and Roll. Sure there was the Vegas years, but his pre-Army rock and roll years broke the mould. Favourites are That's Alright Mama and later Guitar Man (guitar played by Jerry Read, the songs writer).
 blackcat 13 Nov 2015
In reply to The Lemming: Elvis was all round best entertainer,tom is a legend in his own right.The fact that every time tom is interviewed he tells a story about elvis,tom once invited elvis onto the stage and got a very long standing ovation,while tom was starting a song,which just tells it all,id say also elvis sang the best songs.
 Cooper51 13 Nov 2015
In reply to deepsoup:

Equally ace!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...