UKC

Cuningar Loop (Glasgow) Access?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BrendanO 09 Nov 2015
I know this venue had the odd open weekend, and "officially opens" 2016, but if it's in a public area, can it be accessedany time anyway? Or is there a removeable bridge to get to it?

Recently unemployed, so have time to get outside late season! Edinburgh-based, so would rather not waste a journey to get told off by security guard, or find it's on an island. Any advice from local folk?
 JLS 09 Nov 2015
In reply to BrendanO:

I "think" access will still be "difficult" during normal working hours as there is still some building work going on elsewhere in the park. Out of hours however, the gate guarding the site can be walked around on the left as the fence doesn't extend as far as the river bank. The site security is focused on the site yard which is a few hundred meters from the boulders so climbing is unlikely to attract any attention. Others may have better information as I've seen some recent photo's on Facebook which seem to be from unauthorized entry.
 zebidee 09 Nov 2015
In reply to BrendanO:
The park has been open at the weekends since October - there was such demand from the public that they decided to open at the weekends.

Other than that there's no public access during the week - presumably because a) it's still technically a working site; and b) I understand that they've discovered asbestos which will need disposed of safely.

From http://www.commonwoods.org.uk/cuningar :

Following the success of our Come and Try events, Cuningar Loop will be opening on Saturdays and Sundays only from Saturday 3rd October until Sunday 6th December. On these days the site will be open to the public from 10am – 4pm.

Please note there will be some restrictions to the path networks and boardwalk on site due to ongoing bridge works. Please follow on site safety signage.

Post edited at 10:06
OP BrendanO 10 Nov 2015
Thanks, folks - useful replies both!
 Flinticus 03 Dec 2015
In reply to BrendanO:

Hi. Interested in getting to this sometime. Does anyone know how it will be maintained? Mainly concerned with getting there and finding broken glass littering the area.
 aldo56 03 Dec 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

Sounds a lot like Dumbarton!
 Flinticus 03 Dec 2015
In reply to aldo56:

Had a look at the place online. looks like a cool piss up spot!
 aln 03 Dec 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

Won't they be spreading broken Buckie bottles around and spraying graffiti on the rock to give it that authentic Scottish urban feel? Maybe at the weekends bus in some local neds with airguns.
 Flinticus 04 Dec 2015
In reply to aln:

Would anyone get a kick out of pissing on them, thinking about all those boulders clamouring all over them? I have a feeling...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...