UKC

Flashing adverts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gribble 12 Nov 2015
I don't know if anyone else is suffering from these, but the flashing adverts on this site are driving me bonkers! They really do mess with my head. Now I just move the whole window rightwards, which cuts off all the adverts. This is unfortunate for all the advertisers who are trying to get my attention, but the few flashing ones have nailed it for the rest. Shame really, as sometimes there are some quite interesting ones, but they are now a thing of the past.

I know that there is some trick software that can remove all the adverts, but I am strangely resistant to using it. Please UKC mods, could you (for the benefit of other advertisers) please stop putting up mind bending flashing adverts.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum....
 Doug 12 Nov 2015
In reply to gribble:

Annoying aren't they, and as using the software that mustn't be named to get rid of them also blocks photos I find I'm forever turning said software on & off. I'd disable it for this site if the flashing/animated ads went.

But I expect this will dissapear
 Rob Parsons 12 Nov 2015
In reply to gribble:

FWIW I agree. Stuff like that is very old-fashioned, intrusive, and counter-productive. The 'AdBlocker' plugins work; but they wouldn't be necessary if the site were better behaved.
In reply to gribble:
Hi

Curiously I was only thinking the other day about how flashing adverts are now on the way out and the modern trend is for relatively smooth HTML5 ads rather than old-style gifs which can be particularly annoying I agree.

A quick check of our display all ads page has relatively few I think that could really be described as really 'flashy' - http://ads.ukclimbing.com/showads.html and this is certainly a less of a problem than it used to be.

Unfortunately though we have no real control over what advertisers upload and we certainly aren't big and powerful enough to dictate what they can and can't upload. They would simply tell us where to go!

We do resist on an almost weekly basis the approach from big ad conglomerate sites who want to dump their random banner inventory onto UKC. We also turn down the other web-site integrity killer of sponsored links, you know the kind of thing - 'Top Ten Celebrity Hairstyle Disasters' etc.

All our ad inventory is from the outdoor industry and highly targeted to our audience. I agree that there are a few that are a bit attention-seeking but hopefully it isn't a price too big to pay. A click of refresh will almost certainly replace a flashy ad with one less intrusive.

Alan
Post edited at 15:02
 Doug 12 Nov 2015
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Could you, politely, point out to the advertisers that many potential customers are using blocking software because of their ads & that they would be more widely seen if the ads were static ?

But I agree the problem isn't as bad as before (except for French newspaper sites

ps seems only Alan can use the ad**** word!
 Coel Hellier 12 Nov 2015

> ... flashing adverts are now on the way out and the modern trend is for relatively smooth HTML5 ads ...

To some of us these are as bad, or worse. For example, checking UKC with my non-usual browser, there is a current ad for WC krabs that has multiple directions of motion. This sort of thing in my peripheral vision when I'm trying to read something quite literally makes me nauseous -- which is why, by default, I run the unmentionable software.

As I see it, static ads: good; anything with any sort of motion: bad. Which is a pity because, as a climber with disposable income to spend on my main hobby, I'd be entirely happy to see more (static) ads, and indeed have quite a few times bought things after seeing ads for climbing stuff.

The ad industry and browser creators need to collaborate in allowing the user to control what they find acceptable. For example, an option for static ads only would be really good (and one I'd prefer to the current situation of having to install unmentionable software that zaps everything). With Apple (I think?) planning to install zappers in browsers, an arms race to greater and greater obnoxiousness is not one that the ad industry will win.

> A quick check of our display all ads page has relatively few I think that could really be described as really 'flashy'

Depends what you mean by 'flashy'; I counted more than 50 animated banners as I scanned down, excluding those Flash ones which my browser blocks on security grounds. And viewing that page hammered my internet...

And a lot of those animations feature 'chop edits' or rapid slides. All of which are visually distracting.

Not to mention the somewhat questionable naked woman; are French climbing shoe manufacturers still living in the 70's...?
 Doug 13 Nov 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:

there's one from Jack Wolfskin on my screen at the moment which is fairly annoying,

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...