UKC

Your ultimate crag vehicle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
After loads of deliberation, I traded in the old Disco a couple of weeks ago. I realised I had a list of essentials and desirables (a bit like a job advert). After considering loads of vehicles, only one fitted the bill, and I found one and bought it.

So, what is the requirements list for your perfect cragging vehicle, what vehicles fit the bill, and did you get one?

Here's my list (can you guess what fits the bill?)

Essentials
4WD - has to have to get up to our house in winter and generally get around tracks, snow and mud
Back seats have to fold down to give a flat floor for sleeping
Load space big enough for 2 people to lie out straight - around 2 metres long
No vans - also use it to commute and travelling to meetings with others

Desirables
30+ mpg if possible
Leather, heated seats, sat nav built in etc if poss
High and Low ratio 4WD, lockable diffs
Proper chassis
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Skoda Octavia
Andy Gamisou 13 Nov 2015
 ianstevens 13 Nov 2015
Another Discovery? Aside from the rust (it's a P plate) and occasional dribble of water through the sunroof, mine works a treat for cragging!
Post edited at 09:15
 Xharlie 13 Nov 2015
In reply to Martin not maisie:

Sigh... if only the nose of the Octavia looked a little less silly.

I know that I'll almost certainly be driving one before another year has passed. My only wheels are on my bicycle, at the moment, and I am looking to buy, here in Germany, so I have been keeping a keen eye out for ages and taking notes about everything I drive or drive in or pass. The Octavia is still winning, for me, but I do wish it had a more dapper appearance from the front.
In reply to ianstevens:

> Another Discovery? Aside from the rust (it's a P plate) and occasional dribble of water through the sunroof, mine works a treat for cragging!

The Sunroofs on my Disco no longer worked, but did dump a deluge on me every time it rained. Common problem. Still looked great and drove brilliantly (I'd done the transfer box lock conversion). Not fulfilling the full length sleeping in the car criteria though ;-(
In reply to Martin not maisie:

> Skoda Octavia

Very funny
If I was looking for an estate or standard car, I would have bought another Disco I'm afraid.

How about another clue, how much was it and how old?
 mp3ferret 13 Nov 2015
 Tom Valentine 13 Nov 2015
In reply to Xharlie:

I'd like to hear which cars you think are "dapper" when viewed from the front. Genuinely intrigued
 deepsoup 13 Nov 2015
In reply to mp3ferret:

That looks just the ticket for the suburban Surrey school run.
 peewee2008 13 Nov 2015

Subaru Legacy Outback
In reply to peewee2008:

> Subaru Legacy Outback

That. Was a good guess, but no cigar. Luggage space is too short
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

Less than 20k and less than 4 years old
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> I'd like to hear which cars you think are "dapper" when viewed from the front. Genuinely intrigued

Actually, "looking generally badass" is probably one of the desirable criteria, which rules out Eastern European iron, unless you're riding a Cossack Dnieper
 MrJared 13 Nov 2015

Toyota Hilux or a Mitsubishi L200?
In reply to MrJared:

> Toyota Hilux or a Mitsubishi L200?

Both were totally in the frame, but needed to be single cab to give the required load bed length for sleeping. Really getting warm now, good effort
 The New NickB 13 Nov 2015

> Both were totally in the frame, but needed to be single cab to give the required load bed length for sleeping. Really getting warm now, good effort

Land cruiser or a Shogun!
 ianstevens 13 Nov 2015

> The Sunroofs on my Disco no longer worked, but did dump a deluge on me every time it rained. Common problem. Still looked great and drove brilliantly (I'd done the transfer box lock conversion). Not fulfilling the full length sleeping in the car criteria though ;-(

Neither do mine; they were sealed with marine-sealant a few years back to prevent said drips. Clearly need another round though!

I find that with the seats down I can *just* lie flat on the diagonal (178cm), but there is only room for one. Thinking of engineering a fold out shelf that is boot sized with the seats up, and lays flat bed-stlye with the seats half down, therefore giving a little extra length to make room for two sub-6 footers.
 NottsRich 13 Nov 2015

Impreza estate. Ticked all the boxes for me in Australia including snow, and probably significantly more 4WD tracks than you'll ever do in the UK Saying that, it didn't have lockable diffs, but never found myself needing them. Fantastic fun on graded dirt though.
 herbe_rouge 13 Nov 2015

Shogun sport

Pathfinder?
 paul mitchell 13 Nov 2015

Hermann Buhl cycled all over the Alpine passes. Truly a non global warmer.
 Kassius 13 Nov 2015

Maserati quattroporti
 planetmarshall 13 Nov 2015
Polaris 6 wheel ATV, or try tanksforsale.co.uk for other suggestions.
Post edited at 16:57

Skoda Octavia Scout.
Failing that, Skoda Octavia
 John Ww 13 Nov 2015

VW Caddy Maxi Life - top of the range version about to be purchased by g/f to replace our much-loved Octavia estate, which is eleven years old and has done 500,000 trouble-free kilometres.

JW
 london_huddy 13 Nov 2015
In reply to MusicalMountaineer:

Doesn't have the ratio 4wd or the locking diff as manual controls, the 4wd system is entirely automatic. I've had a scout for 5 years and it's a super vehicle, with chains in winter it's invincible (this will be its first year with colder-weather orientated tyres).

Flat back possible and comfy sleeping for me at 176cm is fine.
Removed User 13 Nov 2015

Misubishi Delica L400.

What's Eastern european mean these days?
In reply to MusicalMountaineer:
You can get an Octavia like mine, 4x4 without all the tough guy trimmings.
Thing is, the tough guy trimmings might have saved me damage to both sills and the rear bumper.....
That, plus a bit more ground clearance....
Post edited at 19:09

> Pathfinder?

Give that man a round of applause!

Officially the best crag wagon. To me anyway!
 Andy Farnell 13 Nov 2015
In reply to paul_in_cumbria: Ferrari FF ticks most of those boxes.

Andy F

In reply to andy farnell:

> Ferrari FF ticks most of those boxes.

> Andy F

I'm dying to see the FF with a set of General Grabber At2 tyres pulling in to see Rupert at Froggatt Edge Garage for a service, suspension lift kit and a new floor pan
 Mike Conlon 14 Nov 2015
In reply to paul__in_shef. I am interested by mention of Skoda Scout. Does anyone have experience of one - generally and mpg. I currently drive a venerable A4 diesel estate.
 london_huddy 14 Nov 2015
In reply to Mike Conlon:

Mine's a 2010, owned from new. 2l Tdi. I get around 40-44mpg on long runs.

It's the ideal car for me. Bikes on the roof or inside, huge boot for kit, I can sleep comfortably in it and it's managed deep snow, mud and rutted tracks without any dramas. It's also a nice and generally enjoyable drive with plenty of room for passengers.

It's got 60k on the clock now and I'm beginning to wonder about what will follow it- I suspect another one will be the answer although I'd prefer a petrol engine because I suspect diesels will be taxed heavily in the not too distant future.

Nice, fantastic car. Bang for your buck is as good as it gets IMO for large 4x4's

> Nice, fantastic car. Bang for your buck is as good as it gets IMO for large 4x4's

Broke my heart to say goodby to the Disco, but the Pathfinder really seems to be excellent as you say.
 Billy the fish 14 Nov 2015

Isn't that going to be re-badged as the new X-trail?

VW Passat have a 4 wheel drive version but I don't know what the load space is like with the seats down.
 Sharp 14 Nov 2015

Subaru outback has worked well for me, 2005 petrol gets 33-37mpg if you're careful. It's not an off road vehicle by any stretch of the imagination but has low range gear box and perfect for a car that gets by on snowy/muddy tracks. Agreed the back space isn't huge but big enough for two to sleep in with a few modifications, plenty length for sleeping I'm 5'10 and have about 10 inches clearance when laid down with the seats forward but it's quite narrow inside and not as big as it looks from the outside. nice to drive.

Just about to redo the back with nicer wood and better curtains after living with rather hasty modifications for the last year or so...although I've been saying I'll do that for a while. Perfect winter climbing car imo unless you can afford to properly kit out a 110 as a camper (my dream 110 coversion would be about £12k with a full length push up roof and sleeping platform) and about £6k to spend on a base vehicle.

Some pics of the subby:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/64k8w0orbpb3pqj/AADvV-OCNTNuGHT7YIJSR0LSa?dl=0.
 LG-Mark 14 Nov 2015

Nissan Patrol Y61. I bought one when I sold my Defender. Best 4x4 I've ever had, and I've had lots of Land Rovers and Subaru's!
Sadly sold to fund a VW camper. Sorely missed.

How about a Land Cruiser 80 or 100 series, not the LC3-5 versions which aren't proper Land Cruisers....?
 Tom Valentine 15 Nov 2015
In reply to london_huddy:

I had a petrol 4x4 combi for a while.
Only downside was the gearbox ratios, not as long legged as your Tdi

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...