UKC

Farvourite malapropisms

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 iksander 13 Nov 2015
My mum (Danish) said of someone diverging from the subject - "you're going off on a tandem"

Your favourites?
 Clarence 13 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:

My Aunt musing the standards of millinery at Ascot a couple of years ago; "They don't seem to have nice hats anymore it's all fornicators these days".
 eltankos 13 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:

Dave gorman had a bunch of these in his tv show recently, including "bowl in a china shop" and "right from the gecko"
 John Ww 13 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:

As seen on this very forum this week - "sleeping back".

JW
 Yanis Nayu 13 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:

The world's your lobster.

He's back on terra nova (instead of terra firms)

My favourite though is my friend who can't remember the actual word malapropism and always mispronounces it...
 Yanis Nayu 13 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:

Same friend wrote to me that something was a "casing point"
In reply to iksander:

'That's a lovely dildo rail' - the most bizarrely amusing I can remember hearing first hand.
 John Ww 13 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:
One used every day in the office where I worked - "take a different tact" (as opposed to "tack".
It grated on me, but as the lady concerned was a) lovely and b) fit as, I let it go .

JW
Post edited at 17:35
 Tom Valentine 13 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:
I'm not stopping here to be insulated... 11 year old pupil at school

I want a full infantry of all unused exercise books by the end of the week....33 yr old head of History at same school.

PBI !
Post edited at 19:13
 Billy the fish 13 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:

I heard "the pilot ejaculated just before the plane crashed"
 3leggeddog 13 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:

A couple of favourites

Homoerotic medicine (interchangeable, a group of honed men with their shirts off could be described as homeopathic)

Vegetablesbianism
 full stottie 13 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:

Not quite malapropisms, but in the same vein (vain?)

"When I want your opinion I'll give it to you"
"Stop talking while I'm interrupting"

Dave
 Alex the Alex 13 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:

"The new graduate is here sir."

"Ah excrement. Send her in."
 gethin_allen 13 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:

The grandmother of an ex of mine came up with a great one while commenting about rumours someone's sexuality.
" a friend said that she thinks X is a lesbian, I told her she can't be, she doesn't even go to church"
 marsbar 13 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:

Balaclava for baklava.
In reply to iksander:
Some good ones, great thread

My ex Lucie was/is from the Czech Republic and had a whole raft of fantastic malapropisms, here are two of my favourites...

If I was doing something too vigorously or clumsily I was accused of being like a 'Bull in a china house'!

Once, when we were having a heated dispute with the neighbours she said to Mrs Neighbour, "Shut your mouth or you'll get more than you're barking for" which had me almost collapsing with mirth!
Post edited at 22:34
 Chris Harris 13 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:

Someone once informed me that an octopus has 8 testicles.

Tony Hirst 14 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:

On discussing painting and decorating with an elderly lady, she told me that she:-

' liked using that Durex paint'.

P.S.
two quick Yorkshire sayings for Tom V

'best chalk f*** on that' and
'you can't educate pork'.
 Tom Valentine 14 Nov 2015
In reply to Tony Hirst:

First time I heard the "chalk f*ck" on it expression, it was you saying it.

But can you tell me which crag we were on?
 Nick Alcock 14 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:

They gave her a standing ovulation.
 skog 14 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:

I'm glad this thread wasn't just a damp squid.
 john spence 14 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:
Two from my late mother in law; "Going to the hairdressers for a cut and blowjob"
" Can you get me some radioactive sunglasses?"
Post edited at 19:33
 skog 14 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:

Actually, my youngest has always had a bit of a tendency to say not-quite-right words.

My favourites have been "battlesnake", and the time she came home from nursery around Christmas, singing "away in a manger, no crab for a bed".

There have been loads more, but I suddenly find I can't remember them.
 toad 14 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:

My wife's uncle used to have problems with his prostrate

And a former colleague used to frequently refer to his erstwhile friend
 Dave the Rave 14 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:

Me gran used to say when I was young, that the Dr had put her on anti batics. I asked my mum who anti batics was.
 DaveHK 14 Nov 2015
In reply to toad:

> And a former colleague used to frequently refer to his erstwhile friend

That sounds fine to me.

Helen R 14 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:

There's a tendency for estate agents here in NZ to describe properties as "sort after". Because no one pronounces Rs, I'm never sure if they mean 'sought' and it's just a mistake, or they actually think it is "sort": They're that good, just buy it any everything else will be sorted out afterwards?
 Chris Harris 14 Nov 2015
In reply to Helen R:

You see it on ebay a lot.

They mean "Sought", but just get it wrong.

Another one you see on ebay a lot, for no clear reason, is "As a posed to", instead of "As opposed to".

Yanis Nayu 14 Nov 2015
In reply to Chris Harris:

The Welsh bloke on Gogglebox just described a skinny polar bear as emancipated.
Donald82 14 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

The world's your lobster's official now
 John Ww 14 Nov 2015
In reply to toad:

> And a former colleague used to frequently refer to his erstwhile friend

And assuming s(he) meant "former", what's the issue?

JW

Ardo 14 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:

We're caught between a rock and a stone.

It's got more holes than a goldfish bowl.
 toad 14 Nov 2015
In reply to John Ww:

he was sat next to him at the time?
 Hooo 14 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:

Does the pope shit in the woods. As my mum would say.
Removed User 14 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:

not exactly malapropism, but am a fan of the Rev. Spooner, who would juxtapose two words in a single sentence to great effect. Being a clergyman he once gave a sermon describing Jesus our lord as "a shoving leopard". Also a cambridge don, once dismissed an undergraduate, ordering him to leave on the "Town Drain" for poor performance, including having "hissed my mystery lessons".
Positively surreal.
 Clarence 14 Nov 2015
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

And of course the ubiquitous loyal toast to "the queer old Dean".
 alan moore 14 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:

Have never gotten over the disappointment of the day my Mam bought me a creamium bond and it turned out to be a tasteless pieces of paper.
Still hasn't payed out either!
 Tom Valentine 15 Nov 2015
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

......".....and tasted a whole worm.....!"
llechwedd 15 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:

(From clinic)

'I've got Tittyness' (tinnitus)
'I had a DVD in my leg' ....
 Fraser 15 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:

> Your favourites?

Pretty much most of Count Arthur Strong.
 Rog Wilko 15 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:
When I was teaching a child once wrote "plankton are little orgasms that live in the sea".
Another favourite, though not strictly a malapropism, was "men passed water in buckets to put out the fire of London".
Then there was "are you making insinuendos?" Somehow seems better than either innuendo or insinuation.
Post edited at 17:29
 pec 15 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:

My wife's Uncle was a master of the malapropism. Unfortunately the only ones I can remember at the moment are when he told us about seeing a display of knights on horseback "jostling" and when he described some wall paintings as "Muriels".
I shall have to retreat to my inner scrotum and see if I can recall any more of his gems.
In reply to iksander:

aaaaah, this thread is the best!!! I can't stop guffawing! Can you 'like' a whole thread?
 Alyson 15 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:

My mother-in-law bought herself some gaiters for walking but when we're off for a walk in iffy weather she always asks "Will I need my garters?"

Unlikely to make much difference I'd have thought.
 Cooper51 15 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:

My stepfather is another master of the malapropism, having ordered defecated coffee in a cafe, and professing to dislike futons in his soup. When my grandfather died he marvelled at the number of symphony cards we received.
But my favourite was when I came home one evening to find him watching a European football match. When I asked who was playing I was told, quite seriously, that it was Brian Munich against Electrical Madrid. I can't think of those teams by any other name now.
 ben b 15 Nov 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Back in the days when nebulisers were de rigeur for chest complaints, I had a patient's husband come in to clinic with her and say "She's had that Nippleizer for a year now Doc, and her chest's just as bad as ever". Not sure quite what he was expecting...

Medical stuff is always more complex but there's a certain joy to people taking a simpler word and making it more complicated. Barium is still used in all sorts of X-ray procedures, and I still struggle to hold it together when someone tells me they are booked in for a Bavarian Swallow or a Bavarian Enema (presumably involves beer and some sort of sausage). And they never bat an eyelid when I suggest it isn't the wurst that could happen.

b
 nniff 15 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:

In our household, 'profiteroles' are invariably known as 'my feet are colds' after the youngest member of the family, struggling to make herself understood by the oldest member of the family when taking requests for desert came up with, "Read my lips, Grandad, My feet are colds". We've no idea where she got the first part of that from at her age either.
 Hooo 16 Nov 2015
In reply to pec:

My wife says Muriels too! Now I think about it, she has a few good ones...
We regularly take the train to St. Pancreas station.
When she gets a cold, she has trouble with her Euston station tubes.
 ben b 16 Nov 2015
In reply to Hooo:

Our neighbour happily told us he was going to paint his house mongolia. The result was more disappointing than many of the possibilities...

I hear an awful lot of 'pacifically' instead of 'specifically', which just makes me cringe.

b

John Ww 16 Nov 2015
In reply to ben

> I hear an awful lot of 'pacifically' instead of 'specifically', which just makes me cringe.

A common one round here is "on a purpose" instead of "on purpose", which is equally irksome.

JW

Alyson 16 Nov 2015
In reply to ben b:

My last neighbour seemed to have a problem with trees. And birds. And animals actually. Anyway, he told us he thought we should cut back the popular trees behind our fence. It took me a while to work out he meant poplar, not least because they were silver birch.
 ben b 16 Nov 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Seems a shame, what with them being so popular and everything....

b

In reply to iksander:

A friend uses 'generally' in place of 'genuinely'and 'Pacific' instead of 'specific'.

Drives me menthol but I haven't the hearth to tell him he sounds like an idiom.
 Fraser 16 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:

My gran used to make occasional reference to Kermit in the 'Muffats Show'.

And a young child writing in the school magazine about the perils of smoking cigarettes '...so you don't get Lancaster.'
 Chris Harris 16 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:

I've heard of someone buying syphilis & cumshots from what was presumably the more exotic end of the fruit aisle in Waitrose....
 dek 16 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:
The Groom, thanking the brides parents for the gift of the 'Perky Little Copulator' ...to make fresh coffee with....
 edunn 16 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:

My girlfriend called me her brother's name once and referred to is as a 'fraudulent slip'

My boss asks for expresso coffee (wanker)

Amongst my mates carabiners are called Kawabungas after one of them made the mistake on his first ever climbing trip.

My girlfriend, again, rather inappropriately thought Auschwitz was called 'ouch-vitz' . . . !

Steve Perry 16 Nov 2015
In reply to edunn:

A friend at work was having a nightmare finding a machine part online when he said "I'm not joking they're like donkey shit!"
Apologies to all rockin' horses.
 LastBoyScout 16 Nov 2015
In reply to Chris Harris:
> They mean "Sought", but just get it wrong.

> Another one you see on ebay a lot, for no clear reason, is "As a posed to", instead of "As opposed to".

Another one you see on eBay is "rare", which means there's at least 10 for sale starting at 99p.

My sister, when little, wanted to watch the "cigarettes", when she meant the majorettes, and visit the "ups and downs" when she meant the "Epsom Downs". Not forgetting the "Polarghost" instead of poltergeist.

My Dad has a number of intentional ones , such as "persuader" when he means "hammer" - many of them are intended to babble Mum.

My Mum, on the other hand, has so many unintentional ones, she practically has a language of her own!

My Mother-in-Law once called our Bugaboo pushchair the Boogaloo.
Post edited at 16:32
Bellie 16 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:

Years ago, as a kid - my mate thought gay people were called Humbersexuals

Tony Hirst 16 Nov 2015
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Have a guess at Beeston Tor.

Saw your photo of Wharncliffe the other week. Assume you are back on the crag.

I have moved up to Harrogate so if you come up this way let me know.
OP iksander 17 Nov 2015
In reply to Fraser:
Talking of Kermit, my German brother in law once offered us "tea and toasted muppets"
Post edited at 16:11
 ben b 18 Nov 2015
In reply to iksander:

My ex brother-in-law used to struggle with the phrase "put the mockers on" (admittedly one that I don't hear much these days anyway). But we always enjoyed him flouncing off saying that we "had put the knockers on" whatever hare-brained scheme he had come up with that week. A lovely mental image...

b

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...