UKC

Alternatives for "girlfriend"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

So, if you're roughly my age, 42, how do you refer to your girlfriend, to whom you are neither engaged nor married? It is hard to find a decent phrase...

Girlfriend - seems teenage, tones of no real commitment

Partner - sounds dry, no love there

Other half etc - downright offensive

Significant other - terrible corporate wankspeak

Lover - doesn't do justice to full relationship

Thoughts welcome for something that sounds good and portrays all that an adult relationship is.
Post edited at 18:16
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

Mistress?
 John Ww 13 Nov 2015

Wor lass?

JW
 AlisonSmiles 13 Nov 2015

Life Partner?
Woman?
Her Indoors?
She who must be obeyed?
 Tom Last 13 Nov 2015

6 years younger than you and I don't know why since I'm not northern, but I say lass.
Removed User 13 Nov 2015
This is going to be good.

Me and mine use the term partner most often. I use GF on occasion. I'm afraid I fail to see what's offensive about other half, but maybe it depends on how it is said.

Never, ever, prefix with the definite article. Referring to 'The Dog' is fine (when you actually mean the dog and not her). Not so 'The Wife' or 'The GF.'
Post edited at 18:40
Rigid Raider 13 Nov 2015

What's wrong with "friend"?
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Because friend and girlfriend are very different types of relationship.
 Queenie 13 Nov 2015

My lady.
 Yanis Nayu 13 Nov 2015

Get engaged and make it easier. Do it at Christmas and it'll save you buying her a present.
 JJL 13 Nov 2015

Young trout
 marsbar 13 Nov 2015

Why is other half offensive? It suggests you found someone who fits with you well so that together you are more than just 2 individuals, you are a team.
 coinneach 13 Nov 2015
In reply to marsbar:

The Burd
Ken Lewis 13 Nov 2015

Im a similar age and have thought about this. I usually use with partner, she uses boyfriend.

The dry nature of partner doesnt bother me because im incredibly un-romantic.

She often comments on my lack of romance, to which i will reply with a typically unromantic sentence something like "yeah ive always been like that".

She seems happy enough though. We dont argue and dont try to change each other.

pjcollinson 13 Nov 2015
In reply to coinneach:

You could try her name!
In reply to pjcollinson:

I want something for this scenario "This is xxxx, my yyyyy"
 gethin_allen 13 Nov 2015

I've pondered the same over the years, I settled for partner but did get a few people asking if I was gay so started adding a name.

Looking on the bright side of a situation it's not an issue for me worry about for the moment being single.
 jezb1 13 Nov 2015

For me it tends to be "ex"
 doz 13 Nov 2015

> I want something for this scenario "This is xxxx, my yyyyy"

Good..now introductions are done with Nick how abouts we go climbing? Been wondering what you were up to
 AlisonSmiles 13 Nov 2015

my sweetheart?
In reply to doz:

Hey man, great to hear you! Been busy junior doctoring mainly! Let's get onto Lochnagar soon.
 The New NickB 13 Nov 2015

I'm a similar age, I'm quite happy with girlfriend, although I usually just use her name and expect people to know.

She uses the term partner, I'd rather she said boyfriend. Partner just feels a bit cold. I don't know why!
 Bulls Crack 13 Nov 2015
In reply to JJL:

> Young trout

That's the one!
 Doug 13 Nov 2015

I'm older than you & my usual solution is to introduce her as "ma femme", partly as we live in France (& mostly speak French) but also as it means both woman & wife. Occasionally I'll remember "compagne" which I guess is the nearest French gets to partner although I like to think its closer to companion which I prefer to partner which also sounds like something to do with business.

But I quite like the Scots 'biddie-in'
 JayPee630 13 Nov 2015

Same age, same relationship. Partner or girlfriend depending on the context. She uses partner or boyfriend.
 timjones 13 Nov 2015
In reply to Removed User:

> Never, ever, prefix with the definite article. Referring to 'The Dog' is fine (when you actually mean the dog and not her). Not so 'The Wife' or 'The GF.'

However hard I try I really cannot understand why some people get agitated about this.
 Glyno 13 Nov 2015
I've lived with my girlfriend for over 13 years and generally to refer to her as 'my Mrs' or 'the Mrs'
Post edited at 19:59
 Novastar 13 Nov 2015

raison d'être?
 doz 13 Nov 2015
In reply to AlisonSmiles:

> my sweetheart?

Sounds sweet but isn't she Nick's girlfriend?
 Axel Smeets 13 Nov 2015

I'd probably go for partner in your case, but I acknowledge that it can be a little dry.

I met my wife when I was 21. From 21 to 27 it was 'girlfriend'. When we got engaged it became 'partner' and since marriage it became a whole host of vile expletives.

Joking aside, not sure how 'other half' is downright offensive. I find it quite nice. Being from Yorkshire, I've also used 'our gert' when I'm with close friends, pissed.
Removed User 13 Nov 2015
In reply to timjones:

Are you over 70 and from the north of England?

Kassius 13 Nov 2015

I normally find "the fire breathing dragon from the 7th level of hell" buys me 48hrs of silence 😉
 gribble 13 Nov 2015

Filly. I found it to be more acceptable than squeeze.
 Philip 13 Nov 2015

Get engaged, problem solved.
 aln 13 Nov 2015

The boss.
Removed User 13 Nov 2015

quite like "beloved"-partner just sounds like some dodgy wild west combo.

goldmember 13 Nov 2015

Me Bird
 Bob Hughes 13 Nov 2015

I got self conscious about this too and started just saying my wife about two years ago. I figured that even if we weren't married to all intents and purposes we were man and wife. (Or woman and husband) Then we got married and the problem went away.
 Timmd 13 Nov 2015

If there's warmth in how you say it I can't see partner sounding dry. Tone is everything imo.

Anybody else who wanders away thinking 'How dry' after a display of fondness has got to be a bit odd, I think.
Post edited at 22:19
 Red Rover 13 Nov 2015

Me Julie
 Dr.S at work 13 Nov 2015
In reply to Red Rover:

> Me Julie

Oi! she's mine!
 Red Rover 13 Nov 2015

Why is other half offensive?
 ScottTalbot 14 Nov 2015
In reply to gribble:

> Filly. I found it to be more acceptable than squeeze.

Filly always makes me think of a horse.

Depends how long you've been together. If it's quite a while, I'd use other half (I don't get the "offensive" comment either), but newer relationships are tricky and I'd feel uncomfortable trying to label it really. In the example you used, I'd just introduce her by her name and let them work it out.

Andy Gamisou 14 Nov 2015

> my sweetheart?

How about just 'sweetheart' but done in Humphrey Bogart's voice?
Andy Gamisou 14 Nov 2015

My nemesis?

Shagpiece?
 wiwwim 14 Nov 2015
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

bonkbuddy?
 angry pirate 14 Nov 2015

My carer?
 Siward 14 Nov 2015
In reply to Red Rover:

It isn't.

Better half?
 Trangia 14 Nov 2015

My woman or my man?
 TobyA 14 Nov 2015

I'm neither married or engaged, but I do often call my partner "my wife" to new people and perhaps explain later. Met 20 years ago, have lived together 19, had kids for 11 so girlfriend doesn't seem to do that level of service justice!
Graeme G 14 Nov 2015

All titles imply possession of some kind. Why not just use her name? Shows you respect her for who she is.
 JoshOvki 14 Nov 2015

This is xxxx, the one that puts up with me
 wercat 14 Nov 2015
It may sound really old fashioned but what about "Lady friend" as Lady is a compliment applicable to any age? Nothing wrong with a bit of oldfashioned as the years pass.

I don't like "partner" as it is almost derogatory to the addressee, "there is a relationship but You are not in the list of those allowed to Know the details". I also agree that "girlfriend is a bit of a nuisance as you get older, almost patronising like calling people of a certain age "young at heart".

I do quite like someone saying "My Bird" at ANY age!
Post edited at 09:40
 Postmanpat 14 Nov 2015

PSP or "preferred sexual partner" is apparently "in" these days.
 JJL 14 Nov 2015

Bag for life!
 summo 14 Nov 2015

Here(Sweden), there sambo a status where you live with your partner, sarbo partnered but separate homes, mambo still with mum!

All are recognised statements of living or relationship status whether talking with friends or even the tax office, beyond girlfriend which is more teenage like here.
ceri 14 Nov 2015
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:
But he wants people to know relationship, so he could introduce "bob, from running club, Sarah, my Mum and XXX, the person I have been in a relationship and lived with for 10 years"
I use OH or partner usually. However apparently when OH mentions his partner at work people think he's gay...
 Dave the Rave 14 Nov 2015

I call mine 'Her'.
When saying emphasise the capital H and look skywards.
 Timmd 14 Nov 2015
In reply to wercat:
> I don't like "partner" as it is almost derogatory to the addressee, "there is a relationship but You are not in the list of those allowed to Know the details".

That's mental (to not put it too bluntly ), I've never felt like that when anybody has called their loved one a partner.
Post edited at 18:32
Wiley Coyote2 14 Nov 2015

To friends: Management - as in 'Are you coming to the crag?' 'Hang on. I'll ask Management'
 DancingOnRock 14 Nov 2015

My friend.

But with a raised eyebrow and a knowing look.
 jimjimjim 14 Nov 2015

Our gurt
 marsbar 14 Nov 2015

Minister of war and finance ISNA funny one I heard.
 3leggeddog 14 Nov 2015

Alternatives to girlfriend?

Hookers, less hassle and much cheaper in the long run

The above is advice I was given as a young man. I didn't listen but often wish I had
 phja 14 Nov 2015

How about Velp?
 wercat 14 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:

perhaps you are too young to remember a long time before "partner" was used. The first time I received the term I was confused as partner meant a business associate.

Mental indeed as words and associations are experienced in what the Romans called the mens and the reactions we feel depend on our previous conditioning.
 Timmd 14 Nov 2015
In reply to wercat:

I'm 35.
 Chris Sansum 14 Nov 2015

Ball and chain?
 Greenbanks 14 Nov 2015

CEO
Gruppenfuhrer
 Oldsign 14 Nov 2015

The Missus.
 FactorXXX 15 Nov 2015

Girlfriend/Boyfriend I would say is perfectly acceptable and normal.
The fact that no one has managed to provide a suitable alternative, sort of suggests that girlfriend/boyfriend is the best option.
The closet alternative is probably 'Partner', but that in reality is just an easy way for people to be 'politically correct', which in this case is just basically wrong.
 hang_about 15 Nov 2015

Doesn't matter as long as you don't prefix it with 'current'. This is my current wife, GF etc
 nicmac 15 Nov 2015

Friend with benefits?
 Red Rover 15 Nov 2015
In reply to nicmac:

I used to think that meant your mates were on the dole
 Mark Bull 15 Nov 2015

I use partner, for want of anything better. I used to use girlfriend, but it doesn't seem right after nearly 25 years together.

There's always that fine Scots word - bidie-in.

Brass Nipples 15 Nov 2015
In reply to Red Rover:

> I used to think that meant your mates were on the dole

I thought social media was another name for the dole
 pog100 15 Nov 2015
In reply to FactorXXX:

> The closet alternative is probably 'Partner', but

nice typo there...
 FactorXXX 15 Nov 2015
In reply to pog100:

nice typo there...

Stop being so perdantic!

earlsdonwhu 15 Nov 2015

When someone introduces their partner, I am left wondering whether they are in business together or shagging.....or possibly both.
 Timmd 15 Nov 2015
In reply to earlsdonwhu:
I find the looks people exchange and their body language when partner is used can be helpful.

Probably not fool proof mind you...

Post edited at 18:26
 Jim Fraser 15 Nov 2015

Ma femme.
 nufkin 15 Nov 2015

'Consort' is quite fetching
 Brass Nipples 15 Nov 2015

My lady (said thunderbirds style)

Wsdconst 15 Nov 2015

Spunk dumpster ?
 wercat 16 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:

that probably means you don't remember the change from more open declaration of relationship
 drolex 16 Nov 2015

I used to say "the object of my tenderness" when I tried to win over her father. Now that we're married I tend to use a simpler "Shub-Niggurath"
 Tony the Blade 16 Nov 2015

Our Lass

(Although this term could also mean, my Mam or sister)
 Alyson 16 Nov 2015

This is quite a tough question and I agree that none of the options feels like it's a perfect fit. After much deliberation, I think if it were me I'd like to be referred to as 'my woman'. It has the same sort of loving pride as 'my wife', it is adult rather than juvenile, and I think it has a permanence which 'girlfriend' also seems to lack. It's the best I can come up with anyway.
 krikoman 16 Nov 2015
In reply to Alyson:

> This is quite a tough question and I agree that none of the options feels like it's a perfect fit. After much deliberation, I think if it were me I'd like to be referred to as 'my woman'.

sounds a bit like ownership to me.

My bit of skirt?

Alyson 16 Nov 2015
In reply to krikoman:

> sounds a bit like ownership to me.

I don't think so, not any more than 'my husband/wife' denotes ownership. It's all about how it's said and the kind of person you are. It does suggest an exclusivity, but then the majority of long-term relationships are of an exclusive nature.

> My bit of skirt?

I will assume you're kidding and let this pass
 krikoman 16 Nov 2015
In reply to Alyson:

> I don't think so, not any more than 'my husband/wife' denotes ownership. It's all about how it's said and the kind of person you are. It does suggest an exclusivity, but then the majority of long-term relationships are of an exclusive nature.

F*ck Buddy?

It's none threatening, there's no ownership implied, it can be used by both parties and is therefore not sexist.

Alyson 16 Nov 2015
In reply to krikoman:

Not to mention it fully encapsulates the deep love and profound emotional commitment of a lasting relationship. Perfect!
 lynda 16 Nov 2015

We have plumped for husband/wife even though we aren't married. We have been together over 12 years, are engaged but just haven't got around to actually doing the deed. Got a joint mortgage which is probably harder to get out of than a marriage anyway.
 krikoman 16 Nov 2015
In reply to Alyson:

> Not to mention it fully encapsulates the deep love and profound emotional commitment of a lasting relationship. Perfect!

Good point.

"My delight"?
 dek 16 Nov 2015

If your still resident in 'Sunny Leith'...The appropriate local nomenclature, is surely....'Ma Wee Rage'?.....
 johnjohn 16 Nov 2015
In reply to krikoman:

Used to say 'my partner'; these days I say 'my current wife'.

But I quite like the use of girl or boyfriend by people who are clearly not girls or boys, and definitely not friends either (as in a bloke I once met who referred to his wife as "the enemy", "wouldn't want the enemy to find out...")

Jimbo C 16 Nov 2015

Girlfriend is fine for me, and we've been together 11 years. She often refers to me as 'The Boy'
 jcw 16 Nov 2015

A rose by any other name smells as sweet!
 nniff 16 Nov 2015
In reply to johnjohn:

whatever the preferred term, it is important to insert 'the current' as a prefix when they are within earshot. Keeps them on their toes, y'know.

Being on their toes gives them more purchase when they launch into you.....
 fmck 16 Nov 2015

Ma two cherries n a donnut works for me.
 tistimetogo 16 Nov 2015

In Northern Irish you have "My wee blade."

I prefer my lady.
 loose overhang 17 Nov 2015
In reply to wercat:

I travel across the border from Canada to the USA to see my ...... my what? The almost always unfriendly US border guards ask who I'm going to see, so I say my lady friend. We're both previously married and divorced, we're both older than 60, so even though it may sound old fashioned, it seems perfect to me to call her my lady friend. When we're in the mountains I sometimes refer to her as my wife, to simplify questions if we encounter other folks. She refers to me as her hiking friend. We've crossed the border so many times now that we've both been asked why we don't marry. To which we say, "... we not ready yet"

Going in both directions I have been asked some odd questions. Once a young Canadian Sikh guard insisted I tell him everything I had been doing with my lady friend during the weekend. I told him we went for a walk and ate some good food. He pressed for more information. I asked him if he really wanted to know. He said yes, so I told him the truth, that we had spent the whole weekend having sex. He didn't ask any more questions and quickly waved me through. I hope he had nightmares about his old mum and dad.
 krikoman 17 Nov 2015

Barbara?
 andyb211 17 Nov 2015
Best alternative for girlfriend.........Hmmmmm get a dog : )

Nevis-the-cat 17 Nov 2015
Doris is the default reference in my house

she also answers to

Tanglefanny

doglips

chimp

Captain Spagnoklia

Nodrik

Tipsy von Fumblesex
Post edited at 14:34
 Toerag 17 Nov 2015

My bitch?
Partner only works when she's present, if she's not there then people wonder if you're gay ( unless you say 'my partner Susan'). F*ck buddy isn't appropriate as you're in a proper relationship.

Hmmm...I dread to think how many of these replies are in fact serious.....

Billy the fish 20 Nov 2015

Wor Lass or The Boss to others, Hinny or Pet to her.
 Andy Morley 20 Nov 2015

If you actually want an alternative for the concept of 'girlfriend' then you could do what the fur seals do. But only if you're planning some extreme winter climbing or work in a zoo:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/earth/story/20141117-why-seals-have-sex-with-penguins

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...