UKC

16-17yo Nikon F60 camera, possible to swap lens?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dave o 14 Nov 2015
Hi,
I inherited the above camera after my dad upgraded years ago. We've barely used it as the lens quality appeared a bit rubbish going on photo quality compared to our other camera at the time (based on limited knowledge). The lens is a AF Zoom Nikkor 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6D.
I was about to send the camera off to a fundraising sale as it seemed pointless keeping it, but wondered if it was worth buying a new lens for it if not too pricey and we could still get a compatible one? Or is it likely the camera wasn't great anyway so a lens might not make much difference, if anyone is very familiar with the Nikon brands?

Cheers
Julia (borrowing boyfriends login!)
 Oceanrower 14 Nov 2015
In reply to dave o:
If you still want to use film then a better lens might help. IIRC the body wasn't too bad though it was Nikon's entry level camera so don't expect too much!
Post edited at 12:26
OP dave o 14 Nov 2015
In reply to Oceanrower:

cheers, mainly use digital and have for a good while but thought it might be fun to play about with occasionally as I do like the look of film also, but not if it would cost me a fortune! It did seem particularly grainy and washed out when we last used it and although I would expect a different look with film, everything seemed poorer than I would have predicted for even an entry level camera, of course it could have been user error if we hadn't used best aperture settings etc but thought a new lens now might make a noticeable difference?

In reply to dave o:
Hi there - I had that lens on my F90 when I used film and thought it was really good. I think it is worth persevering with some good film and getting it well processed as it sounds more like that is the area of weakness. Try Ilford XP2 for mono and Kodak Ultramax for colour prints. If you want to try colour slides then go for Fuji Velvia. I used small colour processors rather than Boots and rarely had a disaster that wasn't my fault!
OP dave o 15 Nov 2015
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Thanks Keith, think I'm gonna keep it for a bit longer and have a play about to see if my skills are improved, its been a long time since I used it and my digi pics have improved over the years so hopefully will be the case with film too, will give it another few months before selling it. Will look for those films you suggest if any local shops still sell it!

cheers Julia
In reply to dave o:
The list provided by IPPurewater is great I would just add that I use 7 Dayshop for my supplies https://www.7dayshop.com/
Very quick & reliable.
Post edited at 21:34
 JuliaH 16 Nov 2015
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Thanks again all

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...