UKC

Quick drying crags in the Peak District??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dbrooks 15 Nov 2015

Hi, I have been up in Manchester for the weekend and haven't been able to get out climbing due to the weather!

The forecast is looking better for tomorrow and I am hoping to get a day on the grit before heading back to Devon... Can anyone recommend any quick drying crags that might be dry in spite of the wet weather from the weekend?? Don't mind travelling anywhere in the Peaks but I only have the Eastern Grit guidebook...thanks!
Post edited at 17:46
 Si dH 15 Nov 2015
In reply to dbrooks:
Curbar dries quickly. I actually did Trackside just before lunchtime today - if it doesnt rain more then tomorrow should be ok (admittedly today it was the only dry problem). Burbage north, stanage (all parts), higgar, are obvious places that have quick drying problems, check the wind direction and go somewhere that will get a breeze.
Post edited at 18:54
 ashtond6 15 Nov 2015
In reply to Si dH:

All of popular ones
Curbar
Froggatt
Burbage
Stanage
OP dbrooks 16 Nov 2015
In reply to dbrooks:

Thanks for the suggestions, that is reassuring... Gonna head to Stanage
 climber34neil 16 Nov 2015
In reply to dbrooks:

Apparent north area drys very quickly as it's exposed more than some other areas
 CurlyStevo 16 Nov 2015
In reply to dbrooks:

my experience is if the humidity is high grit can take the whole day to dry out during the more wintery months especially if there is little sunshine. The wind can help but if the humidity is really high it's going to need to be pretty windy and from the right direction to dry out the crags.
 ripper 16 Nov 2015
In reply to dbrooks:

I've been told more than once, by locals, that Birchen dries first.
 climber34neil 16 Nov 2015
In reply to ripper:

Stanage today was beautiful
 Bulls Crack 16 Nov 2015
In reply to dbrooks:

Stoney
Horseshoe
 Offwidth 16 Nov 2015
In reply to dbrooks:

The most reliable places in winter are classics on places like Wharncliffe, Rivelin, Froggatt, Cratcliffe, Shining Cliff... lower level and with sheltered sun trap sections with clean rock. Its been really mild this year so Stanage is better than normal for November when its generally getting a bit cold for routes.
 John Ww 16 Nov 2015
In reply to dbrooks:

Wharncliffe.

JW
OP dbrooks 16 Nov 2015
In reply to dbrooks:

conditions were good at Stanage, was wet in some of the cracks but for the most part it was dry, very cold and windy at the top when belaying.. brrr

managed to do Right Unconquerable (was going to try the left too but that was soaking wet) and goliath's groove

thanks for the all the suggestions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...