UKC

Price for fixing exhaust Peugoet 206

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SambucaHughes 17 Nov 2015
Hi

Today a hole has appeared in my exhaust on my Peugoet 2003 206 ( about the size of a 50pence piece). It's on the actual pipe running from engine to back box, directly halfway down the car. Does anybody have any idea on the costs to replace this pipe or if it would be possible for a garage to maybe weld over the original pipe and hole ??

Thanks
 Marcus B 17 Nov 2015
In reply to SambucaHughes:

You can get patching kits - either a bandage or sleeve. They even sell them in halfrauds. 10-15 minute job to do yourself and very easy. Probably cost about £5-10.

OP SambucaHughes 17 Nov 2015
In reply to Marcus Brewer:

I did originally look at this online , but read several reviews that say it's a very temporary fix so just wondered if anyone had an idea of price to fix before I go the garage
 splat2million 17 Nov 2015

I don't know the specifics of a Peugot 206, but exhaust parts tend to cost about £20-£40 to buy yourself (plus a couple of gaskets for 50p each, and maybe some of the rubber hangers for £1 each) and a garage will probably charge £70-100 for it.
If you are technically minded, and have the correct kit, exhausts are not difficult to change (unscrew each end and remove) but the nuts and bolts can be horribly rusted - I had to saw through one last time which took hours (it was in an awkward position).

If, however, the exhaust part with the hole has the catalytic converter attached to it, the cost will be somewhat more as although the job is the same the part may be much more expensive. In my last car the catalytic converter was in the front pipe attached the engine exhaust manifold, and I think my current Peugot 307 is the same although I've yet to need to work on the exhaust.

> I did originally look at this online , but read several reviews that say it's a very temporary fix so just wondered if anyone had an idea of price to fix before I go the garage

Years ago, I used a bandage repair kit and back then it certainly was not just a temporary fix as it held secure for more than two years after which the car was sold with it still in place. Can't make the repair kits like they used to !
 gethin_allen 17 Nov 2015

On a vehicle of this age if the rest of the exhaust is in ok condition you may as well go for a temporary fix.
A tin can with the ends cut off and sliced down the side can held in place with jubilie clips a classic botch.
Ideally you shouldn't use repair pastes and bandages up stream of the catalytic converter.
Ferret 18 Nov 2015

My thoughts. If you plan on keeping car a good while longer and if rest of exhaust looks iffy you might be as well getting it all replaced now. Saves it dropping off at an inconvenient time and you get a longer warranty on 'full system'. Full system usually means everything from catalyst back... i.e. whatever drops from engine and bends under engine (front pipe) plus catalyst section excluded. That area tends to last longer as it is warmer and drier there (I think) but it can be vulnerable to the engine moving slightly on its mounts and often has a flexible joint which itself sometimes gives problems.

Replacing a section yourself is cheap and technically easy. It can however be an utter ball ache of a job with rusted up bolts, things snapping or damage occurring in other areas as you work. If you have access to another car its worth trying to see if you can dismantle then getting the replacement bits. If you can't do it or get part way and stuck nothing much lost.... you can then get to garage/fast fit place with it and not have a bunch of parts they may not want to fit for you

If its a hole in the catalyst pipe/pipe with DPF in it that's where an independent garage may do a repair - welding a section in. Welding an exhaust is tricky as you can easily burn holes where they shouldn't be - many main dealers don't do this sort of work as its time consuming and risky - they want to simply replace everything - a decent independent will do it if it stacks up cost wise... i.e. the labour and time makes sense vs not replacing an otherwise ok and costly bit.

Finally, for old and common cars your big fast fit places are actually pretty good - its their bread and butter... whipping a dodgy section out and sticking a cheap after market replacement in is core business for them and they tend to charge a fixed price irrespective of whatever difficulties they may have actually doing it. A garage tends to charge by the hour so if they have a mare of a job you may well pay more.... Most of the horror stories about fast fit are low quality work on more complex stuff and grannies being conned into having way too much work done. Go in needing a simple job done and there's not much they can get wrong or rip you off over. Phone for quotes and go to cheapest or get the closest place to price match the lowest quote. Look up a parts diagram so you know which bit is needed and take it from there... and if they recommend doing other sections at the time take a view (car up on ramps) on whether their recommendation seems reasonable or chancing it....

I have had OK results with the type of repair which is a flexible metal sleeve type thing that jubilee clips around a hole but in my opinion, more often than not if you have a 50p sized hole the rest will probably fall to bits soon so that sort of thing is more a case of putting off the inevitable for a while or 'hiding' an issue while trading car in or whatever.
 climbingpixie 18 Nov 2015

I think I paid about £90 to get my exhaust replaced on my old 206. That was a full replacement though as the back box had fallen off and the rest of it was too knackered to weld.
 ByEek 18 Nov 2015

Just take it to your local exhaust centre and pay less than £100 to fix depending on which bit of the exhaust it is. The only time I would suggest otherwise would be if the catalytic converter needs replacing as well. I was quoted £400+ for a replacement in my old Astra, so went to the exhaust wholesaler in Liverpool, paid £90 for the part and then got the local garage to fit it for £30 cash.
 jkarran 18 Nov 2015

It really depends where the pipes split, if the damaged piece includes a flexi pipe or a silencer then the price goes up. It'll probably be between £75 and £200 assuming pattern parts and that the 206 doesn't have a ridiculous system. Genuine parts tend to cost a fair bit more. You really just need to go get a price at an exhaust shop, they're all much of a muchness but you can always shop around if you don't like what you hear. They'll not rip you off, they'll show/tell you which bits you need then quote for them.

Don't patch a hole that big, it's indicative of having lost a lot of metal/strength, it'll only fail again probably somewhere inconvenient.

Fixing an exhaust yourself is a real pain unless you have access to good facilities, bolts get corroded, slip joints jam and dealing with it all lying on your back an inch under the pipe doesn't make it any easier.

jk
OP SambucaHughes 20 Nov 2015
Thanks for all the advice everyone ! Took it the garage who said they can't weld it and would have to replace the middle pipe section and the back box as they think bolts connecting would crumble. Quoted £160 for parts and fitting so I picked up the temporary bandage fix from halfords and it seems to of worked for now !
 marsbar 21 Nov 2015

Crumbling bolts?

Really?

Ask at one of the fast fit places as said above.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...