UKC

Xmas Climbing Holiday - Windmore End & Holwick Scar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 russholland 18 Nov 2015
Hi,

I'm planning my first climbing trip T'up north over the Xmas break and planning to climb Windmore end. I'm just making sure i have got all the correct gear in place and was wondering what the gear is usually required?

Cheers
 DerwentDiluted 18 Nov 2015
In reply to russholland:

A few small wires and slings for the stakes should be sufficient. Windmore is well named so wouldn't be my first choice over winter but it's a pleasant enough spot. More sheltered alternatives include,
Scratchmere Scar
Kings Meaburn, Jackdaw Scar
Armathwaite
 UKC Forums 18 Nov 2015
This thread was started in the LOCAL AREAS forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Rock Destinations
Rock climbing destinations Q&As. Interested in visiting a new rock climbing area? Having difficulties finding information? You are almost guaranteed that someone here will have been and can give you some pointers. It might be sun rock in Sardinia or sport routes in Switzerland. Where to stay, when to go, what routes to do.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
 Simon Caldwell 18 Nov 2015
In reply to russholland:

Holwick Scar (which you mentioned in the thread title) faces NE, and takes quite a lot of drainage, it's not really a winter crag.
 guisboro andy 18 Nov 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Holwick also has access limitations and limited route choice.
In reply to guisboro andy:

A great little crag though, for those who like that sort of thing
 tmawer 18 Nov 2015
In reply to russholland:

A duvet and gloves. Armathwaite is quick drying and sheltered, and some small bolted routes at Coudy Rocks Appleby similarly so. Top roping from trees at armathwaite needs just slings and perhaps 8 quickdraws will do for Coudy. Enjoy the north.
OP russholland 18 Nov 2015

Thanks guys.

I started asking about holwick and changed my mind - the cottage we have rented (in middleton teeside) looks right at it and is only a few minutes walk. Would seem a shame to not give it a bash.

I'll look at those other crags - I chose Windmore as my wife is a complete trad novice having only top-roped (and belayed me toproping) southern sandstone and I wanted to give her some easy seconding experience and it has a lot of D and VD climbs. If that isn't going to plan we can boulder there a little too.

Crags like that would be appreciated
Post edited at 13:12
In reply to UKC Forums:

Sorry
 Fiend 18 Nov 2015
In reply to russholland:

Several pads for Windmore End - best as a soloing / highballing venue.

But it could be suitable for easy leading & seconding if you take care with protection (it's not as obvious as grit on the easier routes). Plenty of wires and some small cams would be best. There's a clue in the name of the crag, it gets a LOT of wind. If it's sunny it gets a lot of sun too, so can be idyllic in the right conditions.

Have a look in the FRCC Eden Valley And South Lakes Limestone guide, there are some other crags scattered around that could be nice. If the monsoon stops by then, of course.
In reply to russholland:

With the exception of Holwick and Windmore, Middleton in Teesdale is about as far away as it's possible to get from any worthwhile sheltered cragging in the North Pennines area.

You'd definitely need a dry sunny and windless day for Windmore in the winter.

If there's any snow and ice about, you'd probably not want to try and get to the Eden Valley crags, as the roads over the fells catch any bad weather that is going. It was my sales territory for many years so know the roads ( and short cuts) like the proverbial back of my hand.

Armathwaite (Sandstone) is a good hours drive away via Alston and Hartside summit. About 35-40 minutes to Jackdaw Scar - Kings Meaburn - Limestone.

Both have plenty trees for top roping - though the routes at Armathwaite tend to be harder.

In reply to Lord of Starkness:

Thanks, This was originally a 'get away' with the possibility of a climb but now has turned into a climbing holiday.

We (the royal one) don't mind travelling or bouldering for that fact. I will have to get a couple of pads.

Really just want to get some climbing in but don't mind sitting in the pub either if the weather is bad. I am better at drinking than climbing anyway, but drinking makes me think I'm a better climber. go figure!

In reply to russholland:

The pub in Holwick is superb.

For bloddering, Golsdborough Carr is good, but exposed, though bits face in all directions so might be OK on a sunny day.

if road conditions prevent you heading west, then the NY Moors crags to the east might be another option if the winds are favourable.
Wainstones
Scugdale - Scot Crags
Park Nab
 Dave Ferguson 18 Nov 2015
In reply to russholland:

xmas in middleton??

methinks you'll be spending more time here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/listings/info.php?id=604&t=wall
than at the crag.
quite a good wall though.
OP russholland 19 Nov 2015
In reply to Dave Ferguson:
Yeah we wanted to be in the middle of nowhere within walking distance of the pub. we live in London so looking for more peace and quiet than usual. The fact we may get a little climbing in is a bonus.

Thanks for the wall info. Fingers crossed we'll be outside.
Post edited at 08:21

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...