UKC

Best of the UK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
RubyB 19 Nov 2015
I was hoping someone could suggest some must-climb places in the UK I should see (Scotland, England, Wales) I'm a Canadian from Vancouver coming to the UK in may 2016 for 6 weeks. I've got three weeks where I want to just climb, hike and camp!
I'm a 6b/c sport climbing who also is looking for climbing partners during that time (want to avoid hiring an adventure company)!
Rubyybrooks@gmail.com
 Dandan 19 Nov 2015
In reply to RubyB:

If it's sport you want then you have to pay a visit to Portland in Dorset. There's six weeks worth of climbing at 6b/c there alone, stick it on your list.
 AlanLittle 19 Nov 2015
In reply to RubyB:

There's not much really good sport climbing in the UK in that grade range; if you want to see the best of what the UK has to offer you need really need to go trad climbing. (Or much harder sport climbing, then you can go to places like Malham where the warm ups are polished, stiffly graded 7a's)

Sea cliff climbing is unique and fantastic, and May-June is a good time of year for it, whereas it's often a bit too early for mountain trad in Scotland or North Wales. Cornwall, and south west England generally, have loads of great stuff and Pembroke is wonderful.

North West Scotland is also a must visit if you have time to get up there. Amazingly beautiful landscape, fantastic climbing, and long days and few(er) midges in early summer. Diabaig in Torridon has to be one of the best one to two pitch trad crags in the world.
 Jon Stewart 19 Nov 2015
In reply to AlanLittle:

Totally agree, you'd be mad to spend your time in the UK scratching around for mid-grade sport when the rest of Europe is next door. My list of must-visits would be:

NW Scotland (trad sea cliffs, outcrops and mountain crags in an incredible landscape)
West Penwith (trad sea cliffs, some of the UK's best routes, relatively good weather)
Pembroke (trad sea cliffs, stacks of great climbing)
North Wales - (trad and sport, lots of variety: mountains, roadside cragging, adventurous sea cliffs, bouldering)

Hard to squeeze into 3 weeks - I'd probably spend them all in the NW.
 scott titt 19 Nov 2015
In reply to RubyB:
I agree with the other posts, Britain has so much varied and intertesting trad, especially the sea cliffs, it would be a shame to spend too long on sport. Sure visit Portland, but make sure you do a route or two at Swanage while you are in Dorset, I can guarantee you will remember Swanage longer! West Penwith (Cornwall) has lots of great climbing to offer as well as fantastic seascapes, surfing and quaint coves. Pembroke will also reward you with sunshine and great routes.

If you are hoping for partners then many climbers in Britain climb trad and sport and will have all the gear, trad isn't hard to pick up if you are with someone experienced.
For great sport climbing go to France, Spain, Greece or Italy.

To get partners through UKC a full profile will help a lot.
 Smelly Fox 19 Nov 2015
In reply to Jon Stewart:

NW Scotland also has some great mid-grade sport...

North Wales may be best for finding regular partners for a 6 week trip. Great variety there, and mainly convenient access.

I can't believe Portland has been mentioned to showcase the best climbing in the UK for someone who has travelled thousands of miles! Scruffy polished limestone next to a scruffy housing estate! Come on!

Graeme Hammond 19 Nov 2015
 Dandan 19 Nov 2015
In reply to RubyB:

Oh I see, we are supposed to make suggestions for things that the OP DIDNT ask for, gotcha, won't happen again.
 Rog Wilko 19 Nov 2015
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

I reckon RubyB owes you a beer or two for that effort! Fantastic selection of pictures!

Brilliant selection there.

Not sure Strawberries is in the OP's grade range though.

(I know, I know, Vector, Weaver etc right alongside).
To Ruby: AlanLittle and Graham are right though - do a variety of trad, don't bother with mid-grade sport in the UK with limited time. Plenty of us with full racks who'd help out...
 Carless 19 Nov 2015
In reply to RubyB:

As Dandan82 says, if you're interested in only sport, get to Portland

but as the others say, you'd be missing out sticking to sport only
(Graeme - excellent selection)
 Ramblin dave 19 Nov 2015
In reply to Carless:
> As Dandan82 says, if you're interested in only sport, get to Portland

> but as the others say, you'd be missing out sticking to sport only

If you're only interested in sport or hiking I'd say go hiking (and, ideally, scrambling as well). Keep your options open to make the best of the weather but think about Skye, North West Highlands, Glencoe and Lochaber, Cairngorms (particularly for multiday walks), North Wales, Lake District, Yorkshire Dales, the Peak District, the South West coast and so on.

Edit: that or go to the continent.
Post edited at 17:15
 stp 29 Nov 2015
In reply to Smelly Fox:

I'd say the 6b/c sport climbing at Portland is probably the best in the country, certainly at least on a par with the slate/limestone that North Wales provides.
 henwardian 30 Nov 2015
In reply to RubyB:
+1 to the "come to the UK for trad climbing, not for sport climbing" sentiment. I can honestly say that I've never yet climbed a bolted route in the UK and thought "wow, this route would really hold it's own against a classic in Siurana, Kalymnos or San Vito Lo Capo". The trad climbing on the other hand could go toe to toe with anywhere else in the world in terms of quality, quantity and concentration of routes, the only lacking factor is extreme length for those crave 1000m+ long routes.

I'd say the best two general areas (huge variety and spectacularly beautiful) to climb in the UK are North Wales (geographically speaking, an approximately 50km-each-side square at the north-west tip of Wales) and North West Scotland (geographically speaking, the isles of Skye and Lewis/Harris and everything within a few km of the coast on the W side of Scotland from around Torridon to the NW tip). There are many other areas with amazing climbing, including Cornwall, Pembroke, Cairngorms and Lake District, what you think is the "best" area is a lot down to personal preference.

I strongly suggest organising a partner before you arrive. Unlike Ceuse, Siruana or Sicilly, in the UK you cannot generally just pick up a partner at the crag/parking area and finding partners at shortish notice online can be frustrating.

I don't know what your transport arrangements are going to be like but I would say that being able to move around is important when you want to get as much climbing done as possible. The maritime weather of the UK (particularly the West coast where all the best climbing is) is quite wet and forecast reliability is often only good for the next day, beyond that it is more an educated guess than a prediction. Often you can get excellent sunny, dry climbing by moving a relatively short distance, common examples include: In North Wales, a short drive takes you from the rainy Llanberis pass to sunny Gogarth sea cliffs and in NW Scotland, a varying length of drive takes you from any area of rain to Reiff where the sun always shines, in defiance of any kind of weather science.

At the time you are here, you probably will not have too much truck with midges (they are generally bad July to Sept but will be out in more moderate numbers from May to Nov) but it is worth bearing in mind that cloudy, still weather that would otherwise be perfect for climbing can be turned into a living hell by an insect about the size of a pin head. A moderate intensity attack can be ameliorated somewhat by repellent but if they are really bad, relocating to a sea cliff or higher crag (1000m altitude is best) is mandated.

Overall you chose an excellent time to come. In Scotland in particular, the weather in May, while a little cooler, is generally much better than in the high summer months of July/Aug (and the midges are not such a problem).
Post edited at 18:22
 heleno 04 Dec 2015

Thank you so much for this! We are flying home today after a 2 month climbing road trip round the US, and thanks to your links we don't feel quite so bad about it now!
 krikoman 04 Dec 2015
In reply to RubyB:

Bosigran - Cornwall

Dow Crag - the lakes

And you'll have to try the grit - so Stanage or the roaches, or brimham.
 Smelly Fox 05 Dec 2015
In reply to stp:

I couldn't agree less, but horses for courses.

I just don't believe Portland is a worthy showcase of Brittish climbing to someone who has travelled thousands of miles. even the worst crags on the continent are better!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...