UKC

'Move-Terrorist' Blamless Yorkshire Woman Told

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 21 Nov 2015

The backlash begins...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34882216
Post edited at 12:08
OP Timmd 21 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:

I'm guessing the disliker would have said 'Move terrorist' too?

marsbar 21 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:

They would like to, but don't have the guts.
OP Timmd 21 Nov 2015
In reply to marsbar:
They're incapable of reasonable-objective thought, the people who'd see a brown woman who might be a Muslim and say 'Move terrorist'.

Obviously so, since it's about jumping to conclusions.
Post edited at 14:04
OP Timmd 21 Nov 2015
In reply to marsbar:
I'm thinking some people might struggle to be able to see the threat posed by ISIS, and then look at an individual Muslim living their life and not assume something negative about them.

While there may be things in the Koran which mean it can be used for bad things, that doesn't stop an individual from being genuine when they say ISIS don't have anything to do with being Muslim, because for them it is true.

That's an inescapable part of the picture.
Post edited at 14:59
 silhouette 21 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:

For the second time in five minutes I have to post; what are you talking about? Your link doesn't link to anything.
 Trevers 21 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:

> I'm guessing the disliker would have said 'Move terrorist' too?

As did the two who disliked yours
OP Timmd 21 Nov 2015
In reply to silhouette:
> For the second time in five minutes I have to post; what are you talking about? Your link doesn't link to anything.

You don't have to post that, you can post that the link doesn't work for you, and politely enquire if it might be down to which web browser is being used.

Do you not get directed to a picture of a woman with a red square in the bottom left hand corner with a white 'play' symbol within it?

Post edited at 18:28
OP Timmd 21 Nov 2015
In reply to Trevers:
Interesting how there's dislikes for anything suggesting that things aren't black and white.

I'm wondering whether the only thing which the dislkes represent is a knee jerk expression of irrational intolerance for an idea which whoever it is doesn't like?

Post edited at 18:31
OP Timmd 21 Nov 2015
In reply to marsbar:

This is what can happen if people move beyond saying 'Move terrorist' to people with brown skin.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-34845082

The house of a family with a Muslim dad/husband was petrol bombed.
 Rick Dunning 21 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:

There could easily be confusion here. You could 'dislike' because you don't like the fact that a woman was abused just for being of a different religion/colour. Sometimes 'liking' seems the wrong thing to do and disliking seems to put you in agreement with the story... or they could just be a bigot. If so it is worth pointing out to them that to think IS represents Islam is similar to thinking that the KKK represent Christianity.
OP Timmd 21 Nov 2015
In reply to Rick Dunning:
Hmmn, I hadn't looked at it like that.

On the other hand;

''They're incapable of reasonable-objective thought, the people who'd see a brown woman who might be a Muslim and say 'Move terrorist'. Obviously so, since it's about jumping to conclusions. ''

To dislike the above you'd have to be a bigot? The uncertainties of the internet.
Post edited at 19:28
 silhouette 23 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:

It isn't always possible to play links out loud, though I do get the gist of it. I am trying to visualise what sort of nutter would be stupid enough to think that any person with a brown skin may be a "terrorist". I'm also wondering why the rantings of such a nutter are deemed significant.
 Dauphin 23 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Dumb rascist folk in yakshire, say it isn't so.

D
 toad 23 Nov 2015
In reply to Dauphin: I might have posted this before, but some years ago I went to a "love music, hate racism" gig in Rotherham. Between every act, the compère came on and had a rousing chant of "yaaaaarkshire!". After a while someone obviously had a word with him as his next announcement was much less strident and along the lines of "it's ok to love music and hate racism if you aren't from Yorkshire".

Lord_ash2000 23 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:

From the article

"At least two leading Islamic scholars have issued edicts condemning IS's interpretation of Islam."

Hardly an overwhelming condemnation is it?

What worries me is that there is a significant percentage of British Muslims (at least 25% according to recent surveys) who although pose no direct threat themselves have a quiet acceptance or sympathy for the acts and goals of the extremists. They may not be activity showing support for ISIS but they are certainly not going out of their way to condemn them.

Dauphin 23 Nov 2015
In reply to toad:

Been to one of those. Most of the white people lapping up Billy Brags folk guitar and platitudes, all the black people having it in the dnb tent. Guess where we were?

D
 The New NickB 23 Nov 2015
In reply to Dauphin:

> Been to one of those. Most of the white people lapping up Billy Brags folk guitar and platitudes, all the black people having it in the dnb tent. Guess where we were?

> D

Up your own arse somewhere!
 FactorXXX 23 Nov 2015
In reply to Dauphin:

Been to one of those. Most of the white people lapping up Billy Brags folk guitar and platitudes, all the black people having it in the dnb tent. Guess where we were?

What difference does it make?
 Bulls Crack 23 Nov 2015
In reply to silhouette:
What if that nutter is the Republican front-runner though?
Post edited at 12:47
 Dauphin 23 Nov 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

Down the front lighter aloft at BB for New England with all my white antirascist mates.

I'm the Stewart Lee of UKC.

Or maybe it's just everyone is a bit rascist and organises themselves into the groups they identify with the most even at anti rascist anti fascism events where the possibility of cross cultural identification might be at its highest?

Personally I'm low BPM intolerant so Billy Bragg didn't get a look in.

D
 FactorXXX 23 Nov 2015
In reply to Dauphin:

Down the front lighter aloft at BB for New England with all my white antirascist mates.
I'm the Stewart Lee of UKC.
Or maybe it's just everyone is a bit rascist and organises themselves into the groups they identify with the most even at anti rascist anti fascism events where the possibility of cross cultural identification might be at its highest?
Personally I'm low BPM intolerant so Billy Bragg didn't get a look in.

I thought The New NickB was a bit rude when he said you were up your own arse, but no, he was right...
 jkarran 24 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Well I've just been identified as 'ISIS' by a charming young man sporting a natty tracksuit in my local supermarket. In all fairness to the young sleuth I am sporting a very substantial beard over my olive skin. F**kwit.

Can't be a nice time to be distinctive for some people at the moment.
jk
 jkarran 24 Nov 2015
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

> What worries me is that there is a significant percentage of British Muslims (at least 25% according to recent surveys) who although pose no direct threat themselves have a quiet acceptance or sympathy for the acts and goals of the extremists. They may not be activity showing support for ISIS but they are certainly not going out of their way to condemn them.

Are you seriously quoting The Sun?

Out of curiosity, are you going out of your way to condemn ISIS? What does that look like and what does it look like to your Muslim friends?

Just in case you're actually interested: Links to the actual question asked rather than the lurid headlines and remarkably similar results for the same survey completed by a non-muslim sample at the bottom of the page http://survation.com/new-polling-of-british-muslims/
jk
 wercat 25 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:

perhaps we shouldn't get too exercised at some minor people behaving badly. My own children have been called Nazis in the village for committing the crime of having a German mother (hard to believe in the 21st century!). I was punched in Durham when I was a kid for being thought to be a catholic (I'm not, as it happens). There are always pin-heads around.
 krikoman 25 Nov 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Yeah Newcastle!! It's nice to hear someone actually stood up to him, wnaker!!
OP Timmd 26 Nov 2015
In reply to Lord_ash2000:
> From the article

> "At least two leading Islamic scholars have issued edicts condemning IS's interpretation of Islam."

> Hardly an overwhelming condemnation is it?

> What worries me is that there is a significant percentage of British Muslims (at least 25% according to recent surveys) who although pose no direct threat themselves have a quiet acceptance or sympathy for the acts and goals of the extremists. They may not be activity showing support for ISIS but they are certainly not going out of their way to condemn them.

I've read that the statistic quoted by the Sun of one in 5 is way off mark. I'll have a search for the why and wherefore.

A thought has occurred to me. should black people come out and condemn any black criminals when they appear in the news in the UK, or gay people, or white people in somewhere like Taiwan (where they're a minority)?
Post edited at 17:09

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...