UKC

Random aches and twinges as you enter your mid/late 30's

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 22 Nov 2015

Being 36 next spring, has anybody else found that they seem to become more frequent as they've got to this kind of age (and beyond)?

It's starting to feel like I need to do more in the way of staying strong enough not to be strained or 'twinged' than I used to.

It's vaguely annoying, but if that's how it is I'd best crack on.

Or hopefully not...
Post edited at 16:43
In reply to Timmd:

Hahahahahahaha!

I wish I was still in my 30s.
aultguish 22 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Don't worry about it, they stop being random when you hit your forties
OP Timmd 22 Nov 2015
In reply to Martin not maisie:
> Hahahahahahaha!

> I wish I was still in my 30s.

I think that's what concerns me, that I'm at the very start of leaving the blessed phase where it doesn't even need to be thought about, keeping one's body in decent order.

Thanks for the seeds of optimism.
Post edited at 17:00
 Ridge 22 Nov 2015
In reply to aultguish:

And become the norm as the Fifties approach...
 angry pirate 22 Nov 2015
In reply to aultguish:

Yup! Mine turned out to be arthritis.
 Dave the Rave 22 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Touching wood, I found that I had more twinges in my twenties from doing too much. Now that I've calmed down, warm up and cross train, I've had little in the way of injuries. The odd achy shoulder but I swim 5-8 miles a week.
In reply to Timmd:

The late thirties: I remember them, vaguely...

I found that it's the time when you stop taking things for granted; pulley tendons randomly pop, young people start to overtake you when you're walking uphill and you can't catch them and someone seems to have turned gravity to a higher setting. You have to start to work harder just to stay where you are fitness-wise and it just seems like much harder work.

But don't worry. You'll be in your forties soon and you'll work out that age and cunning can outdo youth and energy as long as you choose a suitable place for it.

T.
OP Timmd 22 Nov 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:
it's funny, it seems to have happened since I stopped doing lots of conservation volunteering, and go and pick something up like I did when I was outside a lot.

Which probably goes towards explaining why it's happening if I've been pretty inactive and studying all year.

I tweaked my back a little bit today picking up my tall six year old niece and thought 'That's not supposed to happen'.

I think I'm starting to see why people go to the gym and things.
Post edited at 17:15
 Brass Nipples 22 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:

It's not inevitable at your age, probably a symptom of your lifestyle. Got more than 10 years on you and no random aches and twinges yet.
 olddirtydoggy 22 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:

I'm slightly older and find injuries a little more lingering. Tendonitus and random problems seem to be the order of the day. Stamina improves though.
OP Timmd 22 Nov 2015
In reply to Orgsm:
That's definitely the thing I can do the most about, to change my lifestyle to a more active one.

At least I'm thinking about it and can make changes.
Post edited at 17:44
In reply to Timmd:

Yeah. Inactivity is death! As is a change to manual labour and weight bearing activity when you're used to swimming and biking.
OP Timmd 22 Nov 2015

> Yeah. Inactivity is death!

It can certainly seem like it. I find Stevie Haston's blog can be inspirational to do with keeping in shape.

Might be putting a medicine ball on my Christmas list.
In reply to Timmd:
Not seen it but I'm sure it's good.
You need a routine and stick to it, otherwise as you hit your forties it's harder to get fitness back. I had a year out age 42 doing stuff that old ravers do, and it took me 2 years to get to back any sort of fitness that I'm used to.
 Postmanpat 22 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:
>

> It's vaguely annoying, but if that's how it is I'd best crack on.

> Or hopefully not...

My mate Andy, who is even more injury prone than me in his fifties (or is just a wimp ), has been told that regular stretching is really important to stop injuries . So it may be worth getting some advice on the best stretches and getting into a daily regime.
Post edited at 17:58
 alan moore 22 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:
This was definately the age that I found injuries and niggles started lasting for years rather than months or weeks. Good luck with the training. I found that watching a climbing DVD inspires me to squeeze a tennis ball for a few hours but it never turns into a proper training programme. And warming up starts to become an issue and takes most of the day.

> Yeah. Inactivity is death! As is a change to manual labour and weight bearing activity when you're used to swimming and biking.

Well it does led to an early death, as well as much longer unhealthy years.
In reply to Timmd:

> That's definitely the thing I can do the most about, to change my lifestyle to a more active one.

> At least I'm thinking about it and can make changes.

Have you tried Pilates , it's very good.
Removed User 22 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:

I am in my sixties (just) and still find that the experience of age beats the energy of youth. Long May this last!
 Jim Fraser 22 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Started for me at about 13. That's what a childhood of falling off bikes, jumping off roofs, and falling out of trees does for you. (Yes. We were allowed to do those things in the 60's. Not everybody who can remember them wasn't there!)

I had a father who was bit busted up from a similarly eventful childhood promptly followed by contributions from Adolf Hitler, Irgun Zvai Leumi, and then the British construction industry. I realised that if I didn't want to be in the same state in my 40s and beyond then I needed to put some effort in to mitigate the effects of having an interesting life.

The first thing you need to understand is as follows.
"I'm sorry, 'herbal medicine', "Oh, herbal medicine's been around for thousands of years!" Indeed it has, and then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became 'medicine'. And the rest of it is just a nice bowl of soup and some potpourri, so knock yourselves out." Dara O'Briain

Find a decent Chartered Physiotherapist in your local area and maybe worth a one hour session to discover if any of your current issues can be helped with a bit of physio. Not wasted if they can't as for most UKCers the future is full of excitement ... and pain. And establishing a relationship with a properly trained Chartered professional will help to keep you away from the alternative quacks who are out there.

Get a book on isometric exercises. That's those ones where you exercise without moving (but it's still tiring!). Often good for building strength around troublesome joints to help protect them from more damage.

Make yourself aware of the problems associated with NSAID like stomach problems and anaemia. Why? Because, like many UKCers, and other associated nutters, you'll end up on the High Brufen Diet at some stage. You need to understand how to get the benefits without the extra health damage.

All this stuff about avoiding red meat, more omega-3, fruit and veg, and so on: is it all b0110cks or will it help? It's not going to hurt is it and it's cheaper than Dominos or MacDonalds.

(60 and out there doing it. Per Ardua.)
OP Timmd 22 Nov 2015
In reply to Jim Fraser:
I was forever falling off my bike and getting into other kinds of scrapes from my 'later childhood' and into my teens, to the point that my Dad wondered if social services might be called from me having lots of trips to A+E.

Making sure I'm correctly aligned and looking into using a Swiss ball and doing Pilates and stretching could be part of the way forward, I'm thinking - and working on my core, and how to strengthen my back so it doesn't grumble unless I'm daft with it.

My knees are okay because I cycle for fitness rather than go running.
Post edited at 23:27
 FactorXXX 22 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:

It's vaguely annoying, but if that's how it is I'd best crack on.

You should consider cracking on, in cracking one off, as that gets more difficult too...
 BusyLizzie 23 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Goodness me, young man, you should try being 53...
 Rob Naylor 23 Nov 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> Goodness me, young man, you should try being 53...

Or 60!

Actually, I'm in better nick now at 60 than I was in my 30s. I can knock out 65 good form press-ups in 2 minutes, and 92 sit-ups in the same time. I can run up to a half marathon distance without doing any specific training (just on my normal weekly exercise regime). In my 30s 10 press-ups was a struggle and I probably couldn't have run more than 200 m without stopping, if that.

I don't get back problems any more (it used to lock up for several days a couple of times a year in my late 30s). I do have ulna nerve damage, giving me numb fingers on one hand, restricted movement in my right elbow (and occasional pain) from a climbing accident, discomfort in my achilles tendon from a detachment, spur removal and re-attachment and some knee niggles. But you live with the discomfort. I'd rather be where I am now with my fitness level and live with the discomfort than as unfit as I was in my 30s!
 Shani 23 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:

The secret is to build a robust body as early as possible:

1. Train for strength using compound exercises (deadlifts, squats, chins/climb). Use RPT, 5x5 and 531 routines. Cycle in deload and rest phases.
2. Prehabilitation over rehabilitation.
3. Sleep.
4. Eat well (largely unprocessed food).
5. Do lots of walking and regularly. Walk to the shops. Park far away from the entrance. Go for a walk around the block each evening.

We all break down eventually, but you can go down fighting. You can compress morbidity.
 Shani 23 Nov 2015
Oh and remember that acute stress is good. Chronic stress is bad. De-stress. Don't sweat the small stuff. Take time out to relax. Walk in the woods. Your problem isn't the problem. Your reaction is the problem...etc....

cb294 23 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Smile, tomorrow will be worse!

CB
 Skyfall 23 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:
I fell apart when I was in early 30's, was largely ok during late 30's and 40's (the odd injury aside) but seem to be having a lot more problems again now (just turned 50). Things take an age to heal, keeping fit in the meantime seems increasingly difficult and I have a lot of aches and pains generally (knees, back etc). I guess it's different for all of us but, personally, I found late 30's and into 40's not too bad. Maybe I'd learned a few lessons from the first time I had problems and looked after myself and stopped pushing quite so hard. Remember, it's better to be able to climb than not to be able to climb at all because your injured yourself trying to get that final 1% of performance.
Post edited at 12:25
 Baron Weasel 23 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:

I'm in the same boat if any consolation. Random hip and knee pain today - not sure what started it, but will see my Bowen magician if it continues!
In reply to Timmd:

I'm now 66 and I don't get any 'random' aches and twinges. After a day's hill walking I ache exactly where I would expect. I do some very gentle weight-training, not nearly regularly enough, but I think it helps a bit. The main thing I think is: keep hill walking.
 Shapeshifter 23 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Wait 'til you start making weird groaning noises every time you stand up and sit down for no apparent reason. Then you know you're middle aged
 MG 23 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:

It's incipient death. Don't worry about it.
OP Timmd 23 Nov 2015
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
> I'm now 66 and I don't get any 'random' aches and twinges. After a day's hill walking I ache exactly where I would expect. I do some very gentle weight-training, not nearly regularly enough, but I think it helps a bit. The main thing I think is: keep hill walking.

And not pick up tall six year olds after a year of (more or less) inactivity I guess.

Seems sort of a shame that uncles can't always pick up their nieces while they're still children. ;-(
Post edited at 15:56
 RobertHepburn 23 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:

As I have gotten older (47) I have picked up more injuries and my recovery has slowed down. It becomes very much about "injury management", and getting good physio advice, either through books/online or from a physio, is really useful. I have various exercises that I try and do for my bad ankle/shoulder/finger and these have helped. I know I need to keep going to make these stronger, as there are underlying weaknesses. I am still climbing four times a week and biking about twice a week so I think I'm doing ok. My body is aching today from 8 hours of bouldering on overhangs in the cuttings boulderfield, but it is a nice ache . Did "Lost Decade" in two halves, think it will go when I am fresh.
andymac 23 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Knee(torn cruciate ) and cartilage damage.

Original injury was 9 years ago.

Realise it is going to give me more problems in the coming years.

Also realise doing silly things on mountains doesn't help.

What the Hell.

I'm hearing good things about advances in keyhole surgery.
 Andy Clarke 24 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:

I'm 60 and the biggest change I've seen over the last few years is that my ability to recover has deteriorated more quickly than I'd hoped. This applies both to injuries and climbing in general. I can still climb as hard technically as I ever have - though starting late in life has inevitably limited the standard I've attained. However, I can only do so in shorter bursts. On a trip, three days is now pretty much my max before I need a day in the bar/on the beach. So for me it's all about managing my resources. I'm fairly confident I can go on climbing at my current standard for a good few years yet - but I'll need longer and longer lies down after each route!
 fmck 24 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:

I'm 47 and was very active until my 40th birthday when my first child was born. I now have three and my hillwalking and climbing days eventually ground to a halt. I kind of let myself get in a rut. We finally got married last October and I didn't recognise my self in the pictures. This 18 1/2 stone guy I had turned into.

Anyway I gave myself a bit of a shake and lost over 5 1/2 stone over a matter of months training, running and good diet. Now back climbing and do hill running not walking now. I did get an injury running and felt dejected at the time that I might no longer be as capable as before. I studied up on what may of caused my injury and decided to start strength exercises. Hips, glutes, etc each morning. This has worked immensely and now run out in the hills now.

You may need to put a bit more in these days and injuries can be obstacle but study what your weakness is. You can then do something about these weaknesses by focusing on these areas strength training.
 Shani 24 Nov 2015
In reply to fmck:
Great inspiration.

For anyone injured:
---------------------------
As a 'mature' athlete you do have to be a bit more organised with your training and you MUST pay greater attention to sleep, nutrition, cyclical training and recovery times.

It is also looking at the kinds of exercise you do - for example many isolation exercises are seldom optimal in terms of bang-for-your-buck, time or gains (although they may have their place in a routine).

But above all, be wary of being fobbed of with "it is your age" as a diagnosis for injury. In my experience injuries in your 20's are often badges of merit for working hard. That same injury in your 30s is seen as a signal to slow down. By 40s, injury is often seen as inevitable because 'you are old'.

But many injuries can be resolved with appropriate exercise and rehabilitation. I've resolved a niggling knee injury through rehabilitation that I picked up in my late 30s and persisted for a year or so, and over the past year (and now in to my 40s), I have managed to resolve a hip injury that plagued me for some months. I just refuse to accept a clumsy and lazy diagnosis due to my year of birth. I'm currently injury free and stronger than ever.

It can be done!
Post edited at 12:22
 Mick Ward 24 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Crack on with it. It's no big deal. I'm 36 too.

< Peers at screen, gropes for specs >

Oops, seem to have got numbers the wrong way round!

Never mind - just crack on...

mick
 philipivan 24 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:

I've got 2 young children and I'm 39, I put any injuries down to lifestyle. It's difficult to get enough sleep at times, and you can get stressed out. I was active from teens onwards and would get out for several hours at least once at the weekend and 2 or 3 times in the week. Now I'm lucky to have a spare couple of hours twice a week. I'm sure I could get back into it all (climbing, cycling, kayaking, walking) given time so just need to hold it together for a few years...
In reply to Timmd:

59 here now and never get any aches pains and am climbing / training around 4-5 days a week. Cannot say I have noticed any aches or pains for 30 years since my elbows hurt from doing too many pull ups
Think the key for me has been
Warm up
Do a lot of stretching - I do 2 or 3 sessions per week for 20-30 mins
Have different training phases Power Endurance Power Endurance
Don't do too much of the same thing but mix the training exercises up
Watch the diet
Take some time out from climbing every few months to let the body recover (usually non climbing holidays)
Stay keen

pasbury 25 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:

I've recently re-discovered orienteering, the most age indiscriminate sport I've ever come across. It's a great opportunity to pit cunning and guile against youthful speed and a splendid muddy yomp through the undergrowth to boot.
 Cú Chullain 25 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:

I am 41 and my body has seen better days. After twenty plus years of playing rugby it has got to the point where I have to 'manage' my body these days, I go to the gym 4+ times a week and at least 25 mins of each visit is me stretching and working on my core. If I dont do it for a few weeks I start to feel the stiffness and other twinges creeping into the system.
 hazeysunshine 25 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:
Sounds like 'ordinary middle age'

http://betamonkeys.co.uk/aches/
Post edited at 10:44
OP Timmd 26 Nov 2015
In reply to fmck:

> Anyway I gave myself a bit of a shake and lost over 5 1/2 stone over a matter of months training, running and good diet. Now back climbing and do hill running not walking now. I did get an injury running and felt dejected at the time that I might no longer be as capable as before. I studied up on what may of caused my injury and decided to start strength exercises. Hips, glutes, etc each morning. This has worked immensely and now run out in the hills now.

> You may need to put a bit more in these days and injuries can be obstacle but study what your weakness is. You can then do something about these weaknesses by focusing on these areas strength training.

That's interesting to hear, I've just noticed a difference in how the left side of my back feels (in feeling more 'tight') when I twist in either direction to compare, which could explain why it's that side I seem to pull. Hopefully I've a long time yet of being flexible and active if I can spot things like this early on and sort them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...