UKC

Injury - T12 fracture

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 annier 27 Nov 2015
Three weeks ago I experienced a T12 unstable fracture as a result of an indoor bouldering accident when my foot popped off a hold at @1.5 meters. Thankfully no pinning or rods were needed to stabilise my spine and recoery is slow but steady.

I was however alarmed when during outpatients visit the doctor told me not to climb for 1 year explaining that although the fracture should heal in about three months the vertebrae would remain in a fragile state for some time and a risk of a fall could potentially do lasting damage. Whilst not wanting to disagree with him, 12 months sounds a very long time and would like to seek the advice of somebody who understands the mechanics of climbing.

Anyone had experience of returning to climbing after a spinal injury?
 HB1 27 Nov 2015
In reply to still trying:

I broke my back (T12 compression fracture, and maybe other) in July 2014. A 4m fall onto hard ground. Not realising the extent of injury I climbed the next week. It began to hurt more after 3 weeks or so (saw GP, surgeon, MRI and X-ray) Climbing still, but easy stuff. My problem has been the worry of falling in the first few metres of a climb. I think I'm over that now, but still wary of bouldering for that reason!

MD 27 Nov 2015
Commiserations, I hope you make a full recovery.

I fractured L1 and T12 and ruptured the interspinous ligament a number of years ago. It was an unstable fracture but did not need pinning or rods. The consultant I visited advised me to avoid any impacts for a year as well.

He explained the healing process has several stages. First the fractured bones would start to knit together with a soft substance after about 4 weeks (I did notice a drop in pain about this point). After that there would be ossification which would heal the fracture but leave the vertebrae bulky and slightly fragile (After about three months I had a definite bump on my spine). Finally the bulky bone in the facture is gradually replaced so would not be back to full strength for a year.

For a year I avoided anything which would or could cause an impact such as running or lead climbing.

After three months I started physio so reasoned that non-impact exercise was OK. I choose to interpret seconding and top roping as non-impact....
OP annier 27 Nov 2015
In reply to HB1:

Encouraging to hear you are climbing. Were you given any advice about how long to lay off for?
OP annier 27 Nov 2015
In reply to MD:

Thanks for your response and clarity in describing healing process. I kinda think that's what the doctor was saying but to be honest the only thing I really heard was 'no climbing for 12 months'. Also like interpretation of non-impact. I guess I need to be patient and see how I feel in three months or so. I can cope with TR and seconding and even dropping the grades as long as I can still get outside on ropes.
 GrantM 27 Nov 2015

I had stable fractures to L3 and a thoracic vertebra in July, had an x-ray a couple of weeks ago which showed the fracture is still there but has a spur forming as part of the healing process. They're worried about impacts which might put it out of alignment and damage the spinal cord so there was no driving for 3 months, no running/cycling and no weights over 10kg till Jan. I was told 5-6 months for normal activity but it could be up to a year till it fully heals and is back to full strength.
 Angrypenguin 27 Nov 2015

I second MD about it healing in stages. It will get better quick but full recovery to pre break strength can take a number of years.

I had a stable compression fracture of T5&6 about 4 years ago. I was on bed rest for 2 weeks, couldn't jar it without pain for 6 weeks (any type of running), started bouldering 15 months later (hadn't climbed before accident). I did take 2 or 3 falls in the first year of bouldering that which jarred it to give intense pain such that I couldn't barely breathe which eased off over an hour or so - I assume this didn't do much lasting damage. For me improvement plateaued after about 2 years. It's not perfect but I would say back to 90% of pre-break strength.
 HB1 28 Nov 2015

No advice given. I didn't really lay off climbing at all. Indeed, I find climbing excellent for the back - unlike doing the washing-up! I usually have a lie-down for half-an-hour or so around teatime, and take a Zapain (codeine/paracetamol mix). It's more a worry in the head, as I said before, and that fades with time. Take care!
OP annier 29 Nov 2015
In reply to GrantM:

Thanks for your response, no driving for 3 months that sounds as tortuous as no climbing for 12. Good luck with your recovery

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...