UKC

Winter Climbing boots Good deals

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 29 Nov 2015
Mates have been egging me on to go winter climbing for years, and I have now decided the time has arrived. It appears the first thing I need is winter boots, so can anyone point in the direction of some good deals. I am thinking to spend £200 - £250, is this realistic.
 Greylag 29 Nov 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Bargain!!!!...wish I'd waited a month!
J1234 29 Nov 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Thanks for that, mates wear boots that look like that, though this seems the same http://www.decathlon.co.uk/nepal-top-extreme-mountaineering-boots-yellow-id...
and a bit chaeper, are they the same ?
 CurlyStevo 29 Nov 2015
In reply to Reggie Perrin:
no nepal top aren't insulated although they may be mis labelled - tisos are doing for 250
Post edited at 18:47
J1234 29 Nov 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Is insulated important?
I like rock and run and I would pay a marginal premium to shop with them.
 CurlyStevo 29 Nov 2015

sure I used to use nepals the insulation is spot on for Uk mountains and summer alpine. Do try before you buy though.
J1234 29 Nov 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

With footwear I do like to buy the actual pair I have tried. Also such stiff boots are something I have never experienced, so I am wondering if even a pair that fit will feel mighty odd.
 nation1 29 Nov 2015
I have a new pair of size 10 scarpa jorasses pro for sale if your interested ?

https://www.scarpa.com/jorasses-pro-gtx
Post edited at 20:11
J1234 29 Nov 2015
In reply to nation1:

Its very kind of you, but footwear is not something I would buy secondhand, though I know many do.
 nation1 29 Nov 2015

They are brand new sorry forgot to say that !
 Mr Trebus 29 Nov 2015

> With footwear I do like to buy the actual pair I have tried. Also such stiff boots are something I have never experienced, so I am wondering if even a pair that fit will feel mighty odd.

These have a walk / climb functions and are at a really good price
http://www.millets.co.uk/footwear/056640-salewa-men-s-pro-guide-wide-boot.h...
 alasdair19 29 Nov 2015

if anyone else needs a pair of size 46 b3 Aku boots I have some in Sheffield that despite efforts are too big.

stiff, light, carbon midsole, made in Italy.
J1234 30 Nov 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I have now ordered these and shall wear around the house for a day or three to ensure fit. Is there a special sock I should get or just normal winter walking socks?
 CurlyStevo 01 Dec 2015
Did you order them a euro size bigger than your normal shoes - most need to.

You could have tried them on before ordering most fairly descent out door shops stock that boot even Cotswolds.

These are the best winter climbing socks known to man http://www.rockrun.com/smartwool-mountaineering-extra-heavy-crew?gclid=CO32...
Post edited at 05:53
 Michael Gordon 01 Dec 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I find the Nepals quite a big fit!
 CurlyStevo 01 Dec 2015
In reply to Michael Gordon:
well I owned nepal's and I found i needed 46 in them and even then maybe they were a bit small, my street shoe size is normally 44 maybe 45 but never 46. Ofcourse with ice climbing boots its normally best to have a little spare room as kicking steps and front pointing tends to move your feet forward in the boot and stubbing your toes on the end of the boot is no fun at all.

I also found the standard nepal's quite narrow in the toe box. My freneys are much wider here.

One downside to nepal's for some people including myself is the foot bed is very hard and nor very anatomically shaped. If you have high arches this can lead to problems with the ball of the foot.
Post edited at 08:19
 neilwiltshire 01 Dec 2015
Snow and Rock will price match anything you find on the internet, even flash sales. Go and try on the pair you want there, then show them that deal on your phone and that's the price you will pay.

Edit: the price match must be a European store, and it must be in stock on the site. They may also include any shipping price that the website uses.
Post edited at 10:12
 abcdef 01 Dec 2015

Got a pair of Nepal Extremes for under £100 last week

Has theoutdoorshop gone out of business? They had a few cracking deals, but possibly no-where to return anything to.
 CurlyStevo 01 Dec 2015
In reply to abcdef:
Were they new for that price? If so where?
 abcdef 01 Dec 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

yeah new, and like i said - theoutdoorshop where the website now seems offline
 normie boy 01 Dec 2015
In reply to abcdef:

I notice the climbers shop in Ambleside have a 'new' store in Stony Stratford, which I reckon is where the outdoor shop was.... taken em over I guess?
 Jonny Allen 04 Dec 2015

What size are you?
J1234 08 Dec 2015

I have bought the Nepal Extremes. I wore them around the house last night and they feel very comfortable, and I sahll wear for another couple of hours tonight, before I decide wethr or not to keep them. They feelclunky, however as my first pair of this type of boot I was expecting this, but they actually do not feel as clunky as I thought they would. Thank you for any advice.
 Summit Sense 20 Dec 2015
In reply to nation1:

Are they still up for sale?
 nation1 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Alex_RhodesUK:

Yes eu size 45

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...