UKC

Christmas songs you hate, detest, loath

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 01 Dec 2015
Fekin Fairy-tail of New York.

And I am now going to have to endure it for a month.

Aggggggg
 pebbles 01 Dec 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Anything by St Cliff of Richard
In reply to The Lemming:
> Fekin Fairy-tail of New York.

> And I am now going to have to endure it for a month.

> Aggggggg

Don't mind that one but can't stand Shakin Stevens and his Merry Christmas Everybody.........
Post edited at 16:00
 LastBoyScout 01 Dec 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

It is this time of year that I tune into Jack FM - if it's the same as last year, they refused to play any Christmas songs

There's only a few I like/can put up with - going into Sainsbury's at lunchtime was painful
 coinneach 01 Dec 2015
In reply to Christheclimber:

All of them . . . . . . .

I heard my first this year on November 11th.

Very tasteful.
abseil 01 Dec 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

You'd better not shout you'd better not cry or whatever it effing is.

Thank you.
 Chris the Tall 01 Dec 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

That's one of the only ones I can stand - it's beautiful. Christmas Wrapping by the Waitresses is good, and 10,000 miles by the Pretenders is barely a christmas song anway. But Cliff, Shaky, Wizard, Slade, Wham etc etc - AAAAAARGH

Give me scumbags and maggots rather than misletoe and wine !
 Pete Houghton 01 Dec 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

"Those light years of time,
Since his mission did start."

Light years aren't a unit of measurement for time, you prick!
In reply to The Lemming:

BTW, what is this with Xmas songs anyway? Aren't they just songs for Xmas shopping? If not, what? AFAIAC, you're either a Xtian, and value a xmas carol, or you're not. This in-between thing is just ghastly, on a par with pseudo-christian services, with 'favourite songs', mock preachers, etc., at a cremation. Yuck.
 Hooo 01 Dec 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

That's the only one I like!
I can't bear the Slade and Wizard songs. I was longing for one of them to get caught kiddy-fiddling, just so their records would no longer get played.
 Hooo 01 Dec 2015
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> BTW, what is this with Xmas songs anyway? Aren't they just songs for Xmas shopping? If not, what? AFAIAC, you're either a Xtian, and value a xmas carol, or you're not. This in-between thing is just ghastly, on a par with pseudo-christian services, with 'favourite songs', mock preachers, etc., at a cremation. Yuck.

I don't think there's anything Christian about it. It's just celebrating the winter festival in a tacky drink-fuelled overindulgent way. Just like it was done for centuries before the Christians hijacked it.
I have to say though, I'd much rather listen to carols than modern Xmas songs, and I'm definitely no Christian. They're simply far superior musically.
In reply to Hooo:

a) More or less what I was saying. b) It wouldn't surprise me if some Christmas carols have pagan roots.
 John Ww 01 Dec 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Every single f*cking one of them!!

JW
 Rob Parsons 01 Dec 2015
In reply to The Lemming:
Here's one by Howlin' Wilf which I've always liked: youtube.com/watch?v=1He0_Sp0Wpo&

He went to great things, did Wilf: as James Hunter, he was nominated for a Grammy in 2008. Not too shabby.
Post edited at 19:27
 woppo 01 Dec 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

what about Jonah Louie(?) - stop the cavalry - bearable in my mind
and also shirley temple - all i want for christmas is a hippopotamus - made me smile!
 Rob Parsons 01 Dec 2015
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> ... b) It wouldn't surprise me if some Christmas carols have pagan roots.

Are you familiar with the Stannington etc. carols from around Sheffield?
 Rob Parsons 01 Dec 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

And another great one from the Commander:

youtube.com/watch?v=NHg1OxDFk1k&
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Yes, I went to that wonderful pub once before Christmas and tried singing along with some of them Most seemed medieval rather than pagan (and a lot of very boring Wesleyan) .. but I'm sure some have very ancient roots indeed.
OP The Lemming 01 Dec 2015
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Reminds me of when I worked Christmas Day two years ago.

Fekin depressing day, and one I would not like to repeat.
In reply to Chris the Tall:
Yes to the Waitresses and in a strange way I like Bob Dylan's 'Must be Santa' - so tongue in cheek and great delivery in that now gruff voice of his.
In reply to The Lemming:

I like all of them. And houses obscured by cheap lights, mad trolley filling on Christmas Eve, hyperventilating on the sofa on the big day, cramming nuts and port in whenever a wafer-sized gap appears in my stomach, and even the kids spiralling on cheap pop and tartrazine.

Everything about Christmas is ace and I won't be on call this year.
Graeme G 01 Dec 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Shame on you, they're all brilliant.

Except that one by Cliff Richard. It's shit.
 LastBoyScout 01 Dec 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

My Dad's favourite Christmas song - youtube.com/watch?v=hx5gACTWy1c&
In reply to Christheclimber:

>can't stand Shakin Stevens and his Merry Christmas Everybody.........

Yes, that and Wonderful Christmas Time by Wings. Surely the two worst soppiest pathetic shamelessly commercial Christmas records of all time.

flopsicle 02 Dec 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Friends had a comp last year for the worst christmas song... I won with this offering:
youtube.com/watch?v=J82k5fYJp_o&

**WARNING do not watch past the advert DO NOT WATCH**

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...