UKC

Nusance emails

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
GriffonVulture 11 Dec 2015
Had some emails from firms ive never dealed with saying things like we havent heard from you for a while blah bla.

Just wondering if these get sent out like those phone calls that call random numbers. Anyone know.
 d_b 11 Dec 2015
In reply to GriffonVulture:

These are usually phishing spams. Delete them.

Don't reply, and whatever you do don't click on anything.
In reply to davidbeynon:

ive deleted them and blocked them
abseil 11 Dec 2015
In reply to GriffonVulture:

> ive deleted them and blocked them

Delete, good idea. Block, I wouldn't do that personally.
 aln 11 Dec 2015
In reply to abseil:

>Block, I wouldn't do that personally.

Why not?

In reply to abseil:

> Block, I wouldn't do that personally.
why?

abseil 12 Dec 2015
In reply to aln:

> >Block, I wouldn't do that personally.

> Why not?

I'm very sorry that I thought [in my extreme ignorance] that blocking emails sent a message to the sender. I've just found out that that's not correct though, SORRY again
 aln 12 Dec 2015
In reply to abseil:

No need for an apology I was just curious.
 d_b 12 Dec 2015
In reply to aln:

There is one very minor reason not to block, which is that the emails usually have faked "from" addresses, and the company you are blocking is probably blameless. Blocking and then forgetting about it could cause trouble if you ever do have dealings with them.

Having said that I'm fairly confident I will never get a legit mail from Wells Fargo or Western Union so have no issue with blocking them.
Andy Gamisou 13 Dec 2015
In reply to abseil:

> I'm very sorry that I thought [in my extreme ignorance] ....

So why are you attempting to offer advice on the topic? Like the sound of your own voice? Sorry if that sounds harsh, and don't mean to discourage people genuinely trying to give useful advice, but if you don't have a good grasp of a technical subject then why stick your oar in?
 john arran 13 Dec 2015
In reply to Willi Crater:

To be fair I believe that once upon a time, albeit a long time ago now, it was good advice not to block spam, as it then would refuse messages so they generated an undeliverable message back to the sender, who then would know that the email address was active and therefore valuable. Haven't heard of any such issues for a very long time now though.
 Timmd 13 Dec 2015
In reply to john arran:

> To be fair I believe that once upon a time, albeit a long time ago now, it was good advice not to block spam, as it then would refuse messages so they generated an undeliverable message back to the sender, who then would know that the email address was active and therefore valuable. Haven't heard of any such issues for a very long time now though.

That's what I understood to be true, too.

Timmd 13 Dec 2015
In reply to Willi Crater:
> So why are you attempting to offer advice on the topic? Like the sound of your own voice? Sorry if that sounds harsh, and don't mean to discourage people genuinely trying to give useful advice, but if you don't have a good grasp of a technical subject then why stick your oar in?

Could be that he genuinely thought he was telling the truth, given than I (on Radio 4 You & Yours') and John Arran (& presumably abseil too) have heard advice along the lines of not blocking phishing emails?
Post edited at 19:24
abseil 13 Dec 2015
In reply to Timmd:

(Willi Crater wrote) > So why are you attempting to offer advice on the topic? Like the sound of your own voice? Sorry if that sounds harsh, and don't mean to discourage people genuinely trying to give useful advice, but if you don't have a good grasp of a technical subject then why stick your oar in?

> Could be that he genuinely thought he was telling the truth, given than I (on Radio 4 You & Yours') and John Arran (& presumably abseil too) have heard advice along the lines of not blocking phishing emails?

Yes, Timmd, that's exactly what happened - I thought I was telling the truth: I was advised by a technical person [who knew far more than me] that it was unwise to block phishing/ spam emails, and I was just repeating the advice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...