UKC

White box camera lens?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reach>Talent 14 Dec 2015
I am in the market for a Sony 55-210 telephoto and have spotted a few cheap white box ones. Given that they are generally about £160 as opposed to £220 for a retail boxed one it seems like a good deal. Any experience of these sort of deals, I am a bit dubious about the 3rd party warranties?

Many thanks.
OP Reach>Talent 15 Dec 2015
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Bump?
moffatross 15 Dec 2015

The SEL 55-210 is a great long zoom lens, super sharp and very lightweight. Typically the 'white box' ones you refer to will have been split from camera kits e.g. where an A6000 may originally have been bundled with a SEL 18-55 or SEL 16-50 AND a SEL 55-210, and the camera/lens trader sells the items on separately.
OP Reach>Talent 15 Dec 2015
In reply to moffatross:

Thanks, some of the ones on offer are advertised as ex-kit lenses. I am just a bit dubious about what sort of warranty and after sales support I will get more than anything else.
moffatross 15 Dec 2015

I had a NEX-7 until recently and bought my SEL 55-210 as a 'white box' ex-kit lens. I never had a concern or a problem, but I suppose if you want peace of mind, just check that it came from an EU kit, then you'll be sure that Sony UK will honour their 12 month warranty.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...