UKC

The 'high taxes deter businesses myth'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 17 Dec 2015

Food for thought.

http://newint.org/features/2015/12/01/scaring-investors/
Post edited at 23:59
 Skyfall 18 Dec 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Some comments about mindset are fair enough (though a lot is made of one example) but the specifics are poor.

I've personally seen examples both ways.
Jim C 18 Dec 2015
In reply to Timmd:

We will get some kind of indication of the truth if that , with personal tax in Scotland when the Scottish Government get the more flexible tax powers that will let them vary tax within bands.

At the moment, the SNP can only vary income tax across the board, so have left it the same. The received wisdom is , when Swinney can increase tax on higher earners without hitting the lower bands ( or even reducing it) that he will do that, and I' m being told by my Tory friend, that this WILL drive those higher earners to leave Scotland, and those with businesses WILL take their business' with them.

BnB 18 Dec 2015
In reply to Jim C:
I'm waiting for the SNP to do quite the opposite so I can move my home and business to Scotland
Post edited at 07:44
 Big Ger 18 Dec 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Anybody else remember the 80%+ top rates of tax under smiling Jim Callaghan? They certainly led to business booming!
 neilh 18 Dec 2015
In reply to Jim C:

Surely there are not really that many high earners in Scotland to generate alot of money.So its not worth doing as the tax take will only go up slightly.Therein lies the problem.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...